car is costing a lot on fuel ...advice

11 minutes ago, Coota said:

That's not correct, I have a Nissan March auto, 1100 cc, 3 cylinder and I can travel around 700 klm on one tank of E20.

It has a CVT auto which is mechanically more efficient than a traditional torque converter unit. It is after all an "eco car"  

But if the same car was available with a manual and a competant driver there is a chance it would be even more fuel efficient.

Car manufacturers like CVT's because they are light and cheap to produce.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

42 minutes ago, Apiwan2 said:

I use E20 in 3 year old yaris.

kid at shell said use 95 V power
better for the engine!

is this true ?

Good question, I hear that it can give your engine a good lube job by running a tank of 95 premium, not sure if that is good though.  I have read that some drivers do this every fifth or thereabouts fill up.

I'm not sure if I can run 95 on My Nissan March though.  I'll check the manual.

1 hour ago, Coota said:

Good question, I hear that it can give your engine a good lube job by running a tank of 95 premium, not sure if that is good though.  I have read that some drivers do this every fifth or thereabouts fill up.

I'm not sure if I can run 95 on My Nissan March though.  I'll check the manual.

no need to check the manual. just open the fuel hatch and you'll see the types of fuels that can fill up. earlier, you mentioned you can cover 700 kms on a full tank of E20. where do you drive (i doubt you drive in bangkok) and what's the tank capacity of your march?

3 hours ago, Apiwan2 said:

I use E20 in 3 year old yaris.

kid at shell said use 95 V power
better for the engine!

is this true ?

Better for Shell.

Maybe he gets as commission :biggrin:

Neither E20 nor 95 V power will do any harm to the engine.

You will have somewhat less consumption with 95.

But you would have to find out yourself whether it makes sense financially.

I have done quite exact comparison between E20 and Gasohol 91 (E10).

If E20 is 2 Baht cheaper it is at the break even point.

Currently about same same in the end.

I am using E20 for at least 5 years now (Mazda 2 automatic from 2011).

Runs fine. Zero defects except some switch for the mirror adjustment.

Just coming back after 35 km.

RPM meter hardly ever came close to 3000 on the highway.

OK, I could not check when overtaking :smile:

1 minute ago, KhunBENQ said:

Better for Shell.

Maybe he gets as commission :biggrin:

Neither E20 nor 95 V power will do any harm to the engine.

You will have somewhat less consumption with 95.

But you would have to find out yourself whether it makes sense financially.

I have done quite exact comparison between E20 and Gasohol 91 (E10).

If E20 is 2 Baht cheaper it is at the break even point.

Currently about same same in the end.

And one thing is for sure, no identical rides will have the same fuel consumption if they have different drivers... :stoner:

59 minutes ago, irwinfc said:

no need to check the manual. just open the fuel hatch and you'll see the types of fuels that can fill up. earlier, you mentioned you can cover 700 kms on a full tank of E20. where do you drive (i doubt you drive in bangkok) and what's the tank capacity of your march?

I live in rural Surin and mainly drive 15 ks into the city, park at Robinson or Big C and drive home, but I do trips every 2 months or so either to Chantaburi, Chonburi, Rayong or Mukdahan.  I load up the car with luggage and the wife and 2 kids, 7 and 11 and off we go.  The car is amazing, I never have trouble passing other cars, even on hills and I sit comfortably on 110 klm/h, even going up the 304 over the big mountain I manage to wizz past cars with little effort.

The capacity is 41 litres and I average 17 klms per litre using E20. 

Older auto boxes (esp. 4 speeders of the vios/focus - he old box in the toyora avanza was horrendous) will use more petrol than those with more ratios. CVT's will generally have the best economy of all the autos. Manual boxes should have the best economy, depending on the final gear ratio. CVT's economy isn't far off from that though. 

It's true you don't have to thrash a benzene car with a 3.0 v6 and get good acceleration with that. But it's still using a lot of fuel. I can thrash my swift for a whole tank of fuel but still get better economy driving my honda civic like a granny.

There's no point to compare benzene to diesel economy....especially for pickups. I'd never buy a pickup because it has better fuel economy than a c-segment car. There are too many trade-offs. Besides that, I reckon the new civic turbo gets better mileage than any pickup.

10 hours ago, Pdaz said:

It has a CVT auto which is mechanically more efficient than a traditional torque converter unit. It is after all an "eco car"  

But if the same car was available with a manual and a competant driver there is a chance it would be even more fuel efficient.

Car manufacturers like CVT's because they are light and cheap to produce.

I,m on my second Almera and every month for the past 30 months I make a round trip from here in Pattaya to Huay Yot Trang,round trip total 1,870 kms I drive exactly the same way/same speeds each time and these are my findings regarding manual V auto.

My first Almera was manual with 16,000 kms on the clock when I first bought it initially I averaged 20.8 kms/litre (dashboard computer) then it started dropping back to 20.5 when I sold it with 63,000 kms,very happy with the car.

Bought a  brand new auto Almera 8 months ago and initially 15 kms/litre on the first trip (only 1k kms on the clock) slowly improving to now with 18,000 kms showing I,m getting 20.3 kms/litre.

I might add that the majority of the time there are just the two of us in the car plus some luggage although last year one trip it was fully laden with 4 adults plus luggage and fuel comsumption was slightly more.......that was in the manual.

Obviously as this car gets older it will be less fuel efficient :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, irwinfc said:

I only use 95 in my 1.2 swift now. I have used both 91 and E20 as well. The 95 gets roughly 1 km/l better than 91. 91 was better than E20. 

7 hours ago, DavisH said:

I only use 95 in my 1.2 swift now. I have used both 91 and E20 as well. The 95 gets roughly 1 km/l better than 91. 91 was better than E20. 

7 hours ago, KETSUDA said:

E20 is not efficient. Use the top grade fuel for the best economy.

Sorry to disagree but my Almera gives me the best fuel efficiency with E20...........tried 91 and 95 no difference in economy just higher price :thumbsup:

10 minutes ago, petermik said:

Sorry to disagree but my Almera gives me the best fuel efficiency with E20...........tried 91 and 95 no difference in economy just higher price :thumbsup:

How many takes of 91 and 95 did you try? One tank, you won't much difference. In fact, my car ran a bit rough on the first tank of 95, but then it smoothed out. E20 has a lower energy content than the others, so I'm surprised you don't get a difference in economy. Or the economy difference is too small to tell and 'noise' masks it. 

I ran my swift on 91 twice for 5000km each - 14.1 and 14.6 km/l on the dial.

On 95 I got 15.6-15.7 km/l over 5000 km. After 2000km my new reading is 15.4 km (been getting stuck more frequently this time). 

Edited by DavisH

According to my cars PC it will do close to 700km on a full tank of VPower 95. I've never actually bothered to see if it would as I don't think I could stand driving it in "Eco" for a day. It's more fun to drive it hard in Sport+ and then refill as necessary.

i get 2 baht/km off 30L of E85 in bangkok. i just have to fill up more often and no crazy power. every now and then i fill up with E20, which gives a lot more range and oomph (about the same as G91) but runs the engine hotter. i do keep a log of each and every fuel refill and analyze my consumption every 4-6 months. that way i'll know if something's off.

OFF topic I know but....On my fun ride back home I used 98 unleaded with Castrol "lead" replacement on the street and racing. Then I bought a drum of 110 leaded to see what happened when racing...No difference, ran the same times with my engine configuration....We just gotta test stuff...:stoner:

Brands can also make a difference.....On our vehicles Caltex consistently gives better fuel economy than more convenient stations.....

It was the same in the US too but Chevron fuel is always priced higher there....

53 minutes ago, irwinfc said:

i get 2 baht/km off 30L of E85 in bangkok. i just have to fill up more often and no crazy power. every now and then i fill up with E20, which gives a lot more range and oomph (about the same as G91) but runs the engine hotter. i do keep a log of each and every fuel refill and analyze my consumption every 4-6 months. that way i'll know if something's off.

Iam very surprised you car has more oomph on E20 than E85. something is wrong there for sure or your car is not flexfuel.

26 minutes ago, reenatinnakor said:

E20 and E85 are so shit fuel economy wise. We had a Captiva 2.4 for 3 years and one tank cost nearly 2k on E20 and I just got no more than 550km a tank. It's a shit car anyway.

Now got a 3.2 Ranger Wildtrak one tank diesel costs 1900 and getting about 850km on a tank.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

lol@ comparing fuel economy between 2 very different vehicles using 2 very different fuels.

Its like saying this orange is crap because it tastes nothing like this chocolate bar.

You can not figure a vehicle's gas mileage by how much money you spent on fuel to drive "X" amount of miles. You need the actual mileage driven and the amount of fuel used to form a close estimate because there are too many variables The results would be more accurate if the mileage driven and fuel used was collected after multiple refuelings over a longer distance. (My 2015 Ford Fiesta's odometer is in miles. Is the Focus the same?) Also, I would like to add that using a fuel that is not recommended by the manufacturer can have adverse effeçts on the engine and fuel delivery system.  Ethanol fuels should only be used in vehicles specifically designed for their use. E20 should only be used with engines and fuel delivery systems rated for their use.  If you use a higher octane fuel than what the engine was designed for, the biggest change you will see is less money in your pocket. The engine management systems and onboard diagnostics are constantly making adjustments to hundreds of engine, fuel delivery, transmission and other variables every second, so the powertrain system is operating at peak performance.   

My father, although he never finished high school, grew up working on farm tractors with his father. In 1960, he bought a Phillips 66 gas station with a repair shop. He grew to have the reputation that if it had 4 or more wheels and an engine, he could fix it and his list of lifelong customers over 35 years proved it. In the early 80's he was offered service managers position at then the largest Chevrolet de

3 hours ago, petermik said:

You did not check it properly. 95 has more energy as its a higher octane. 

There are many factors, and I'm somewhat surprised speed does not appear to be mentioned as one of them.

If the OP drives a Ford Focus at 80 km/hr with no aircon and the windows partly open, he can expect much better economy than if he is driving at 120 km/hr with the aircon on high.

As a fuel, ethanol is OK for economy but gutless as far as power goes. That's why most high performance vehicles specify 95 octane.

The fuel consumption figures published by most auto manufacturers are pure BS. They get those figures by employing drivers who treat the accelerator as if it is made out of eggshells.

40 minutes ago, rapom said:

You can not figure a vehicle's gas mileage by how much money you spent on fuel to drive "X" amount of miles. You need the actual mileage driven and the amount of fuel used to form a close estimate because there are too many variables The results would be more accurate if the mileage driven and fuel used was collected after multiple refuelings over a longer distance. (My 2015 Ford Fiesta's odometer is in miles. Is the Focus the same?) Also, I would like to add that using a fuel that is not recommended by the manufacturer can have adverse effeçts on the engine and fuel delivery system.  Ethanol fuels should only be used in vehicles specifically designed for their use. E20 should only be used with engines and fuel delivery systems rated for their use.  If you use a higher octane fuel than what the engine was designed for, the biggest change you will see is less money in your pocket. The engine management systems and onboard diagnostics are constantly making adjustments to hundreds of engine, fuel delivery, transmission and other variables every second, so the powertrain system is operating at peak performance.   

My father, although he never finished high school, grew up working on farm tractors with his father. In 1960, he bought a Phillips 66 gas station with a repair shop. He grew to have the reputation that if it had 4 or more wheels and an engine, he could fix it and his list of lifelong customers over 35 years proved it. In the early 80's he was offered service managers position at then the largest Chevrolet de

I edited this post to finish it, but it posted without my corrections anyway. I surrender

On 5/10/2017 at 4:09 PM, Don Mega said:

I doubt the op was paying 35b per liter for either E20 or 91 gasahol. How did you calculate that number  cause when I divide 850 x 8 my calculator says 106.25.

8 Liter per 100 KM , makes 850 Km 8.5x8 =68 Liter      ( NOT 106.25)   (:

2 minutes ago, digger70 said:

8 Liter per 100 KM , makes 850 Km 8.5x8 =68 Liter      ( NOT 106.25)   (:

Thanks Einstein, My erroneous calculation has already been pointed out by a few... maybe more reading the thread than bashing the keyboard for you, Yeah.