car is costing a lot on fuel ...advice

3 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Thanks Einstein, My erroneous calculation has already been pointed out by a few... maybe more reading the thread than bashing the keyboard for you, Yeah.

I noticed the error in your orignal post but still can not figure out why you needed a calculator to give you the wrong answer. 

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, petermik said:

Sorry to disagree but my Almera gives me the best fuel efficiency with E20...........tried 91 and 95 no difference in economy just higher price :thumbsup:

10 hours ago, DavisH said:

How many takes of 91 and 95 did you try? One tank, you won't much difference. In fact, my car ran a bit rough on the first tank of 95, but then it smoothed out. E20 has a lower energy content than the others, so I'm surprised you don't get a difference in economy. Or the economy difference is too small to tell and 'noise' masks it. 

I ran my swift on 91 twice for 5000km each - 14.1 and 14.6 km/l on the dial.

On 95 I got 15.6-15.7 km/l over 5000 km. After 2000km my new reading is 15.4 km (been getting stuck more frequently this time). 

7 hours ago, KETSUDA said:

You did not check it properly. 95 has more energy as its a higher octane. 

I can only repeat..........tried 91 and 95 on return trips 1,870 kms no difference in fuel economy just both cost more.

p.s. DavisH "my car ran a bit rough on the first tank of 95 but then it smoothed out" <deleted> how did you know it wasn,t doing damage to the engine? and carry on using it :sad: silly in my humble opinion.

Again with E20 (Shell/Caltex/Esso) I,m getting 20.3 kms/litre,speed on open roads 110/115 kms/hour,excellent for a car of its size :thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, rapom said:

I noticed the error in your orignal post but still can not figure out why you needed a calculator to give you the wrong answer. 

I notice you seem to think I care for your correction after  my mistake has been pointed out and corrected by many and yet somehow think you are superior.

Thanks for your input but the care factor = zero according to my calculator.

Edited by Don Mega

2 hours ago, Don Mega said:

lol@ comparing fuel economy between 2 very different vehicles using 2 very different fuels.

Its like saying this orange is crap because it tastes nothing like this chocolate bar.

It's not really different though is it?....The aim is the same. You are trying to get from A to B with 1900thb to spend. One vehicle will get you there, the other one will not.

E20 is not economical and that should be a consideration when buying a car.

In my Honda amaze 1.2 E20 runs out more quickly than G91 and it also feels more down on power. With 91 I average about 15km/l but occasionally I'll do 20/21. Personally I just enjoy driving. When the light goes green I'm off, if the road is empty I'm off, always with the aircon blowing. I've been in cars with a fair few eco watchers before, they have driven looking at their dash rather than the road or others around. 

4 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Iam very surprised you car has more oomph on E20 than E85. something is wrong there for sure or your car is not flexfuel.

not surprising at all. E20 does have more calorific potential than E85. what's your experience? 

8 minutes ago, irwinfc said:

not surprising at all. E20 does have more calorific potential than E85. what's your experience? 

A fuel with less ethanol has  more calorific potential ?

Care to educate me.

no need to check the manual. just open the fuel hatch and you'll see the types of fuels that can fill up. earlier, you mentioned you can cover 700 kms on a full tank of E20. where do you drive (i doubt you drive in bangkok) and what's the tank capacity of your march?

I drive in BKK, I'm not really worried about MPG, just use the yaris for going to big C . and occasionally sri racha.

I saw on utube a guy put a turbo on a new yaris and it went like shit off a shovel.

5 hours ago, irwinfc said:

i'll let you have the honors. since you seem to have the theoretical and empirical expertise... 

to help "me" understand... 

http://bit.ly/2q8A1sQ
http://bit.ly/2q6F0Mm

So you get worse fuel economy when using E85 vs Gasoline.... thats been mentioned a few times already.

But I'll admit when it comes to ethanol blended fuels and standard tune naturally aspirated road cars I have little knowledge.

5 hours ago, Don Mega said:

So you get worse fuel economy when using E85 vs Gasoline.... thats been mentioned a few times already.

But I'll admit when it comes to ethanol blended fuels and standard tune naturally aspirated road cars I have little knowledge.

yes, and i'm one of those who mentioned such reduced mileage from E85. so what surprised you with the less power i get from E85 vs E20? after dozens of E85 and E20 refills, maybe there is something wrong with my setup.

16 minutes ago, irwinfc said:

yes, and i'm one of those who mentioned such reduced mileage from E85. so what surprised you with the less power i get from E85 vs E20? after dozens of E85 and E20 refills, maybe there is something wrong with my setup.

Ive had no experience with un-tuned naturally aspirated E85 vehicles (is your vehicle E85 compatible ?) but I was under the impression they made a little bit more power than other blends , that's what surprised me.

Sling a turbo on and upgraded fuel system and ECU there's a heap of power to be made on E85 !!

4 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Yeah I looked at that but could find little about E85.

LH column - gasoline equivalent

Top column -  Ethanol E100

Where they cross -

1 gallon of E85 has 73-83% energy equivalent  of 1 gallon of gasoline

3 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

LH column - gasoline equivalent

Top column -  Ethanol E100

Where they cross -

1 gallon of E85 has 73-83% energy equivalent  of 1 gallon of gasoline

and how much does 1 gallon of E20 ?

18 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Thanks Einstein, My erroneous calculation has already been pointed out by a few... maybe more reading the thread than bashing the keyboard for you, Yeah.

Why? it does not hurt to hear the truth does it?

Just now, digger70 said:

Why? it does not hurt to hear the truth does it?

No not at all but when someone chimes in all knowing when they clearly did not bother to read the thread the care factor for your dribbling is zero.

Goodbye.

I have a Chev Cruze LT 1.8 auto, factory tuned for E85 fuel.

I've kept detailed fuel logs for 1 year now. First 6 months I used only E85. Second 6 months I used only 91 (which I understand is E10 in LOS)

E85 gave me awful fuel economy compared to 91.  Around 22% less.

However, as E85 is 8 baht per litre cheaper than 91, I would have actually saved quite a lot of money had I stayed with E85 all year. That surprised me.

I'm now switching back to E85 full time. I've never experienced any real car performance differences between E85 and 91.

IMHO, the big fuel guzzler is the aircon. But who can drive without it ? Not me.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/11/2017 at 6:58 PM, petermik said:

I can only repeat..........tried 91 and 95 on return trips 1,870 kms no difference in fuel economy just both cost more.

p.s. DavisH "my car ran a bit rough on the first tank of 95 but then it smoothed out" <deleted> how did you know it wasn,t doing damage to the engine? and carry on using it :sad: silly in my humble opinion.

Again with E20 (Shell/Caltex/Esso) I,m getting 20.3 kms/litre,speed on open roads 110/115 kms/hour,excellent for a car of its size :thumbsup:

Sorry but you are wrong. Goes completely against engineering science. E20 has a lower octane rating which means it has to burn more to obtain the same power output as 91 or 95 octane so to obtain better mileage is impossible!!! Just ask any engineer.

On 6/7/2017 at 4:47 PM, KETSUDA said:

Sorry but you are wrong. Goes completely against engineering science. E20 has a lower octane rating which means it has to burn more to obtain the same power output as 91 or 95 octane so to obtain better mileage is impossible!!! Just ask any engineer.

Actually, E20 has higher octane than E10. The issue is the difference in energy content and that is what causes the difference in fuel consumption (about 3% difference, as tested by a PTT researcher on a ford focus). That paper can be found online.