Where's the best/favourite breakfast in Bangkok?

Razzler1973

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/11/2017 at 8:07 AM, smotherb said:

The baked beans are not even fried and not pinto beans either, many just open the can of baked beans and pour it on your plate--yeuck.

The Germans offer a better breakfasts than the English, I believe. The breads are better, nice home fried potatoes and good hunks of ham bacon, or porkchop and good coffee; none of that mouse-piss they call tea.  I prefer an American breakfast, with buttermilk biscuits (scones to some), sausage gravy, bacon, fried potatoes, eggs and coffee. Bourbon Street soi 63, Ekamai offers a good American breakfast; but so does The Tavern, soi 4 just down from Nana Plaza. 

I like both of those places too.  I also used to go to the Dusit for Sunday brunch buffet cant recall the price want to say 800B might have been 1200B it's been along time since I been there. Too bad Bourbon street had to move it was much more convenient when it was in washington square. 

Robin Hood Pub in the same general former area as Bourbon Street still has, last time I checked, a 99b breakfast special that runs 9 am until noon time... Eggs, bacon, sausage, tomato, hash brown wedge and toast for 99 baht. Nothing exceptional, but convenient location and modest price.

59174d59c6651_RobinHoodBreakfastMenu.thumb.jpg.f396f1ce3347c3228d66f0105cf31f07.jpg

5 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Robin Hood Pub in the same general former area as Bourbon Street still has, last time I checked, a 99b breakfast special that runs 9 am until noon time... Eggs, bacon, sausage, tomato, hash brown wedge and toast for 99 baht. Nothing exceptional, but convenient location and modest price.

59174d59c6651_RobinHoodBreakfastMenu.thumb.jpg.f396f1ce3347c3228d66f0105cf31f07.jpg

I wish you could get a similar breakfast in California for those kind of prices. I can't believe how expensive restaurant breakfasts are now. Before I started living in Thailand, there were lots of good deals, but not any more. They are just as expensive as lunch. 

2 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

I wish you could get a similar breakfast in California for those kind of prices. I can't believe how expensive restaurant breakfasts are now. Before I started living in Thailand, there were lots of good deals, but not any more. They are just as expensive as lunch. 

Actually you can pretty much... Denny's still has their $2 / $4 / $6 specials that include some breakfast entrees. And IHOP pretty regularly runs some variety of breakfast promotion where the main dish is $4 - $5... Those are among my favorite breakfast haunts when I'm traveling back in the States.  Though where they make up for some of that is by charging seemingly high prices for regular hot coffee or tea in the neighborhood of $2.50 to $3, though those hot drinks do include refills.

Generally I think breakfast out can be a rip off meal.  What is an egg here 4b?   Bacon/pork is not that expensive here I think 6 or 7b per slice.  Potato, bread, pancakes are all fairly inexpensive.  Buffets are the best deals I guess but how many eggs can one eat?

I do however have a friend in Pattaya who owns a restaurant.  He told me he makes more profit from someone who orders a cup of tea or coffee, rather then a full breakfast.  Never thought about it before but interesting.

Whilst I agree that 'bang per buck' it can be called a ripoff, the problem with breakfast is - and why so many people have it in cafes - it's a bloody difficult meal to cook and get everything ready at just the right time; for a full English, you need 5 pairs of hands, 4 gas rings and a couple of grills....

Also, whilst bacon etc might be 6 baht or so per slice, you've got to have all of them in your fridge, and you can't buy (most of) the items individually.

Interesting point about your mate's mark up on a cup of tea, though...

51 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I do however have a friend in Pattaya who owns a restaurant.  He told me he makes more profit from someone who orders a cup of tea or coffee, rather then a full breakfast.  Never thought about it before but interesting.

I was once chatting to a bar owner and remarked how annoying it must be when some customers only order water, to which he replied: 

"Not annoying in the least, I make more off a bottle of water than anything else I sell in the bar.." 

On 12/05/2017 at 1:01 AM, bangkok19 said:

The 300 Baht Breakfast Buffet at the Monsoon in Soi 8 (Sukhumvit) is excellent.

The Kiwi down the road has a great choice. You pick and pay for each of the ingredients to your breakfast.

Further down Sukhumvit in Soi 23 the Taipan Hotel also a decent Buffet similar in price.

The Super Breakfast at The Old Dutch (cnr 23 and Cowboy) has remained the same for years - 3 eggs done your choice, leg ham and /or Pastrami, pork sausage, bacon, swiss cheese, toast and jam, bread bun, tea or coffee. 

Or, if you're on the run... a Cappucino at the McCafe at MACCA'S.

I've been told that the little place at the entrance to Sukhumvit MRT (down from Terminal 21) has great snacks. I've never gone in but it is always packed. Has the mini pizza's in the window.

One of these mornings I'm gonna get my body down to Patpong and try the Madrid Breakfast, if it's anything like their Pizza's I'll be happy. 

I never have lunch so a BIG Breakfast is important..  and all of the above are well under 400 Baht!

I used to go to Old Dutch, I always appreciated the 3 eggs instead of 2 and 2 cups of coffee (if there's no refills in BKK).

Might check out the buffets, I also like a big breakfast from time to time

4 hours ago, dddave said:

I was once chatting to a bar owner and remarked how annoying it must be when some customers only order water, to which he replied: 

"Not annoying in the least, I make more off a bottle of water than anything else I sell in the bar.." 

Yes good point.  Don't feel bad or cheap charlie when you go into these places and just get a tea or water.

A bottle of water where I go is 40b.  It probably cost 7b.  So, there you go... 

13 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

I was just in the states and noticed breakfast prices are up a little bit. However the quality of what you get is superb compared to here. So it isn't a fair comparison. 

On 5/11/2017 at 5:01 PM, bangkok19 said:

The 300 Baht Breakfast Buffet at the Monsoon in Soi 8 (Sukhumvit) is excellent.

The Kiwi down the road has a great choice. You pick and pay for each of the ingredients to your breakfast.

Further down Sukhumvit in Soi 23 the Taipan Hotel also a decent Buffet similar in price.

The Super Breakfast at The Old Dutch (cnr 23 and Cowboy) has remained the same for years - 3 eggs done your choice, leg ham and /or Pastrami, pork sausage, bacon, swiss cheese, toast and jam, bread bun, tea or coffee. 

Or, if you're on the run... a Cappucino at the McCafe at MACCA'S.

I've been told that the little place at the entrance to Sukhumvit MRT (down from Terminal 21) has great snacks. I've never gone in but it is always packed. Has the mini pizza's in the window.

One of these mornings I'm gonna get my body down to Patpong and try the Madrid Breakfast, if it's anything like their Pizza's I'll be happy. 

I never have lunch so a BIG Breakfast is important..  and all of the above are well under 400 Baht!

Yes, you need to make the trip to Madrid I can say pretty much all of their food is good. Its a good place to have a drink at the end of the day.  For dinner you might want to check out Mizu's also on Patpong same side of the soi as Madrid. The place is a dump but the food is good. It's been there longer Madrid and looks like it.  However the food is good.  I usually get their sarika steak  come on a sizzling hot plate cant recall the price want to say 250. 

I've never found a great place for breakfast in Bangkok, most are poor to middling.  Nothing beats or even comes close to my own breakfast with good quality ingredients.

Fresh, real baguette, buttered

Home made potato scones,.. Organic

Toulouse sausages,

Black pudding,

Scrambled eggs,... Organic

Good bacon, deep red with almost no fat rind or streaks,

100% Tangerine juice,

Twinnings english breakfast, boiling water, everything measured and timed,

Heinz beans, cooked slowly with fresh tomatos,

HP sauce.

However if only in town for a short time you could try all the suggestions in this thread and have breakfast in bed every morning via food panda:

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/food-drink/hangover-helper-foodpanda-introduces-breakfast-delivery-service-8am-daily/

Edited by onthesoi

19 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Actually you can pretty much... Denny's still has their $2 / $4 / $6 specials that include some breakfast entrees. And IHOP pretty regularly runs some variety of breakfast promotion where the main dish is $4 - $5... Those are among my favorite breakfast haunts when I'm traveling back in the States.  Though where they make up for some of that is by charging seemingly high prices for regular hot coffee or tea in the neighborhood of $2.50 to $3, though those hot drinks do include refills.

You might be right, but they sure do not make them easy to find. A friend told me about one breakfast special at Denny's that I have never been able to find on the menu that is a really good price. I had to write down the name and put it in my wallet. However, IMO, the McDonald's breakfasts are pretty good and no need to tip.  To get the cheapest ones, you have to go before 11 AM,  but they have some things available all day. I like the buttermilk biscuits and the pancakes are better than most in Thailand and not bad anyway.  However, a basic American breakfast used to be dirt cheap before I moved to Thailand and easily available all over the place. It is not like that anymore in California. 

Edited by Ulysses G.

3 minutes ago, cobbler said:

Just wonderingnif there is a group of farang who meet for breakfast? Im thinking this would be an interesting way to meet people and have a gathering but not at a bar as im not much of a drinker.

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Search ex-pats clubs.  I am sure there are several in BKK who meet for breakfast.

Edited by bkk6060

Just wonderingnif there is a group of farang who meet for breakfast? Im thinking this would be an interesting way to meet people and have a gathering but not at a bar as im not much of a drinker.

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Looks like there's a coffee get together on Thursday among other stuff.

https://www.meetup.com/cities/th/bangkok/events/

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

10 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

You might be right, but they sure do not make them easy to find. A friend told me about one breakfast special at Denny's that I have never been able to find on the menu that is a really good price. I had to write down the name and put it in my wallet. However, IMO, the McDonald's breakfasts are pretty good and no need to tip.  To get the cheapest ones, you have to go before 11 AM,  but they have some things available all day. I like the buttermilk biscuits and the pancakes are better than most in Thailand and not bad anyway.  However, a basic American breakfast used to be dirt cheap before I moved to Thailand and easily available all over the place. It is not like that anymore in California. 

early 70s and tutsi trudges up to the $0.99 breakfast place on 16th and Market in SF, hung over and in pain...'two scrambled please' and then the old chinese guy (paper hat on the back of his head and a toothpick) calls out to the unseen grill man 'scambo doa!'

20 mins later after eggs (wid loads of tabasco), potatoes, toast and coffee tutsi emerges onto the sidewalk energised, motivated and ready to face the day...

when in BKK I usually get the omelette with everything at the cafe at the Dynasty Grande on sukh soi 6, nice terrace dining or AC inside and amazingly good coffee...the all day menu ain't half bad neither...they have a lovely pork chop wid mashed potatoes and gravy...reasonably priced...

On 14/05/2017 at 1:18 AM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Tried the Extra Large there yesterday.  OK, but nothing to write home about.  The two Cumberland sausage turned out to be three but were those awful chipolata / hot dog style type which had clearly been rush cooked looking almost uncooked all over except for one dark brown strip along each one, thrown in a pan and left I guess without turning.  Made me wonder if they'd run out of regular sausages and were using these as a substitute.  Scrambled eggs (a mistake) were of the 'how many slices to do you want' cooked to oblivion type, fried bread way over done as was the bacon (and that was dry too) and all of it luke warm.  I might give it another try when it's less busy to see if it improves but won't be in any rush, overall wasn't impressed at all, especially for the price :post-4641-1156693976:  Still prefer the Queen Vic.

Edited by SooKee

On 5/12/2017 at 8:30 AM, thaifoodruns said:

English breakfast at London pie on sukhumvit 63, looks pretty good never had it but walked past a guy tucking in when I was picking up my pies

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

The London Pie Breakfast is pretty good, with high quality ingredients. I'm not a huge English brekky fan but you get 2 thick sausages, 2 what I would call English bacon medallions (shape), warmed tomato (not grilled), 2 eggs obviously done in an egg-shaped pan. Plus two thick slices of white toast and tea or (machine) coffee. I usually add an order (2x) of hash browns -- yes, the frozen kind. No beans, etc. 225 baht

However, it's just recently under new ownership, an HKG couple. They still seem to do a decent job of the brekky, although the former partner just reappeared to  help out in the kitchen for a while.

Overall, I have never been impressed with BKK western breakfasts (non-buffet). I agree with another poster above that brekky in Pattaya is better and cheaper.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

2 hours ago, SooKee said:

Tried the Extra Large there yesterday.  OK, but nothing to write home about.  The two Cumberland sausage turned out to be three but were those awful chipolata / hot dog style type which had clearly been rush cooked looking almost uncooked all over except for one dark brown strip along each one, thrown in a pan and left I guess without turning.  Made me wonder if they'd run out of regular sausages and were using these as a substitute.  Scrambled eggs (a mistake) were of the 'how many slices to do you want' cooked to oblivion type, fried bread way over done as was the bacon (and that was dry too) and all of it luke warm.  I might give it another try when it's less busy to see if it improves but won't be in any rush, overall wasn't impressed at all, especially for the price :post-4641-1156693976:  Still prefer the Queen Vic.

I dunno why people are eating here for 390 Baht when I already told you where the best breakfast in Bangkok is served for 350 Baht.

I guess you all don't think I know what I'm talking about.

Amusing really keep posting about the poor food places.

Queen Vic's food in general is good but the one I posted is a truly bang on breakfast. 

4 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

I dunno why people are eating here for 390 Baht when I already told you where the best breakfast in Bangkok is served for 350 Baht.

I guess you all don't think I know what I'm talking about.

Amusing really keep posting about the poor food places.

Queen Vic's food in general is good but the one I posted is a truly bang on breakfast. 

Well we can end this thread now that we have your opinion on the matter.

13 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

That's very brave of you !
Or maybe you don't know who Ronnie F****n Pickering is ? emoji51.png

I'm Ronnie Pickering I am.

Edit: Don't take the piss son. I was known as one punch Ronnie back in the day.

Anyway I've had a few damn good breakfasts since those days. :smile:

Edited by smokie36

15 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

I was known as one punch Ronnie back in the day.

Maybe one too many punches??? :post-4641-1156693976:

I'll confess, I haven't tried Ronnie's place on Suk Soi 8, in part, because most of the time ever since it opened, it's been very sparsely populated, while other places nearby, such as Monsoon Cafe and the Kiwi Pub, are packed.

So while I can't speak personally to Ronnie's place, I do notice that other people in the area tend to vote with their feet. And at least thus far, they're not walking Ronnie's way.

Who knows, it may be one of the great undiscovered dining gems in Bangkok -- or not.

33 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

That's very brave of you !
Or maybe you don't know who Ronnie F****n Pickering is ? emoji51.png

After  a quick look on google and reading a bit about Ronnie Pickering I am a bit confused? What distinguishes him from the average Brit living over here? 

2 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

After  a quick look on google and reading a bit about Ronnie Pickering I am a bit confused? What distinguishes him from the average Brit living over here? 

I know my breakfasts.

That's cos I am Ronnie Pickering. :smile:

Haha , I have to admit his success is surprising, England is full of these types , only down south though !! [emoji15]