Where's the best/favourite breakfast in Bangkok?

Razzler1973

3 hours ago, revgreen said:

They have good pancakes, french toast, and chicken and waffles. And the coffee is great. I've never tried their more savory breakfast dishes.

Food at Chu is indeed hit and miss.

The pulled pork burger is a good deal if you use eatigo to your advantage.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/5/2017 at 5:14 PM, brewsterbudgen said:

The Craft Cafe, right under BTS Phra Khanong, has a good and fairly original breakfast menu. The nearest to a traditional English, has a decent sausage, bacon, ham, mushrooms, beans, tomatoes, fried egg and chips for 165 baht. Good coffee and other food too. Plus beer!

Really? Maybe Craft's breakfast has improved then in the 3-4 months since I last visited there. The sausage was a hotdog style, there was only a tiny spec of bacon and ham, the mushrooms were disgusting and the chips added up to maybe 5 or 6. A couple of times I got cold, hard beans, if I got them at all. At couple of times two of the items in the breakfast were not available and they didn't tell me beforehand. Even worse, many times I've walked by and the place was closed on different days of the week. I hope they have improved since these spectacular failures.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

Really? Maybe Craft's breakfast has improved then in the 3-4 months since I last visited there. The sausage was a hotdog style, there was only a tiny spec of bacon and ham, the mushrooms were disgusting and the chips added up to maybe 5 or 6. A couple of times I got cold, hard beans, if I got them at all. At couple of times two of the items in the breakfast were not available and they didn't tell me beforehand. Even worse, many times I've walked by and the place was closed on different days of the week. I hope they have improved since these spectacular failures.

You must have been unlucky. While I do agree about the mushrrooms, the sausage is now British style and"herby" and the rest is good for 165 baht.

Emmie's off Rama IX down soi 49 is an option, open from 8am - it's opposite 'A ramen' which is open 24hrs a day (!).

All day food - the breakfast side looks good - had some lunch there and good coffee.

Their 'website' is only facebook p1sh unfortunately and not a proper website...

https://www.facebook.com/Emmiesbkk/

for any cyclist out there:-

After cycling around Nong Bon lake then Baan Chang is great - ( for the 'american' breakfast you'll probably want to specify your bacon as crispy unless you like the underdone style...)

https://goo.gl/maps/iy2Rr7Qq6W32

or from the Skylane, once it reopens, Bike Terminal is very good food/breakfast/beer and a bike shoppe

https://goo.gl/maps/4XGdCLpyd8q

Edited by coops

Re Chu, I like their deserts and their brownies, etc., and their pancakes are OK.

But over many years, I've tried other of their main dish entrees, including the pulled pork sandwich, and usually come away disappointed.

And for some reason with their breakfasts, they have a bad habit of turning out toast that you could use to build houses with, or break a tooth on.... :sad:

have lived here for 8 years and haven't found any like Denny's or Waffle House - no frills breakfast joints

if you dole out 500 bhat or more you can pig out at any of the hotel breakfast buffets

they have so many damn items I am sure everyone will find something to their liking

but that's not what I am after budget wise :o]

The Coffee Club chain comes closest - but still a bit pricey and wish they served hash browns, muffins, and a few more American items

Paul in central embassy mall is decent - but again pricey!!

heard though that Waffle House was opening soon in bkk somewhere

Swensens - the perfect place for brekky for those weight conscious peeps who want to lose weight like myself. Ever since the article on this forum about the dude who only ate ice cream for a few months and lost weight, I've decided this is my "go to" place to lose some weight to highlight my beautiful 6-pack.

30 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

the perfect place for brekky for those weight conscious peeps who want to lose weight like myself.

I would think the perfect breakfast for one who needs to lose weight is nothing. Walk from home to the restaurant have a coffee and walk home.

That being said when I lived in Brazil I would sometimes have  R$5 of ice cream for supper, and nothing else. 

8 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

I would think the perfect breakfast for one who needs to lose weight is nothing. Walk from home to the restaurant have a coffee and walk home.

That being said when I lived in Brazil I would sometimes have  R$5 of ice cream for supper, and nothing else. 

No way Jose! Didn't you read the below article? Ice Cream, Protein Shakes and Alcohol is the key to miraculously shedding those love handles and bring out your 6-pack to impress the honeys.

I'll second Bei Otto's as a decent option.

One of my favorites is Creps & Co. (more often the Langsuan or Siam World branches, though there's another at Thonglor). Apart from the obvious, very good salads, and some decent sized breakfast sets. Service is usually good and friendly, which I value even more at morning time. Coffee, while not great, is alright.

Not really open at breakfast hours, I think, but worked out fine when starting the day late - No Idea on Suk 22. Not cheap as well but delivers.

Then there's the dosa/idli route, which can set me up for a long day. Several option around Suk, but that's an altogether other topic.

Probably back in town in a couple of weeks, so cheers for recommendations - always happy to try new places.

9 hours ago, neupaneaj said:

heard though that Waffle House was opening soon in bkk somewhere

IHOP was supposed to open a branch in Siam Paragon several months ago but so far, I've seen no sign of it.  No doubt, with that location, cheap wont be part of the description.

IHOP is not really that cheap anymore in the US.  The last time I ate at one in the states, not far from LAX, it was $12 for the large pancake, eggs and bacon plate...no sign of the bottomless coffee pot of times gone by.

Edited by dddave

21 hours ago, dddave said:

Wouldn't you know it...20 minutes after I post the above, I find a topic on the Bangkok Forum that IHOP at Paragon opened yesterday June 15. 

I'm waiting until I can have scrambled eggs, bacon and hash browns to go along with my IHOP pancakes. Once those additional items become available at the future 4th floor Paragon full restaurant version of IHOP, then I'll have an opinion on IHOP as it relates to this thread. :smile:

Strawberry and banana pancakes from the limited ground floor version of IHOP at Paragon today - 195b.

2017-06-17 14.50.05_result.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2017 at 8:03 PM, dddave said:

IHOP was supposed to open a branch in Siam Paragon several months ago but so far, I've seen no sign of it.  No doubt, with that location, cheap wont be part of the description.

IHOP is not really that cheap anymore in the US.  The last time I ate at one in the states, not far from LAX, it was $12 for the large pancake, eggs and bacon plate...no sign of the bottomless coffee pot of times gone by.

Actually, the IHOP prices at Siam Paragon are very reasonable for BKK. I had both a fancy order of strawberry-banana pancakes as one order and a mushroom and spinach omelette as a separate order, and both were under 200 baht a piece -- although both were ala carte, no side dishes included.

Meanwhile, I don't drink coffee at IHOPs when I'm back in the States, so I can't speak to that specifically, although they certainly do as many hot tea refills as you like. But as it turns out, the IHOP at Siam Paragon does have IHOP's bottomless coffee pot on their menu.

594fba18bccd0_IHOPBKKNeverEmptyCoffeePot.jpg.e77a87cc8173b0e081cf2c10be4d59dd.jpg

On 5/11/2017 at 2:29 AM, jgm005 said:

Took lae Dee Foodland before 9am. ?

You know, in Pattaya, I love the little lunch counter at Took Lae Dee.  Reminds me of old lunch counters in the USA and my Grandfather had an old silver top diner.  It is a bit entertaining to watch the short order cooks do their thing,  And the place is busy and typically clean. Being busy is good because it implies a lot of turn over and that the food is fresh and not stale.

• 3 months later...
On 5/12/2017 at 8:23 PM, RonniePickering22 said:

Pfffft Lazy Goose Sukhumvit Soi 8.

350 Baht best breakfast in Bangkok hands down.

I'm afraid to report, it looks like the abovementioned Lazy Goose cafe is now "cooked" -- permanently.

After consistently failing to ever attract any kind of sizable customer base, the movers were at the place this week to carry away the inside belongings, and it looks like work is underway to prepare the location for some new kind of business -- potentially yet another bar as the workers were out installing metal railings and counters along the location's patio area today.

7 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'm afraid to report, it looks like the abovementioned Lazy Goose cafe is now "cooked" -- permanently.

After consistently failing to ever attract any kind of sizable customer base, the movers were at the place this week to carry away the inside belongings, and it looks like work is underway to prepare the location for some new kind of business -- potentially yet another bar as the workers were out installing metal railings and counters along the location's patio area today.

I prefer Brekkie on Soi 39 these days John. 

On 25/06/2017 at 3:46 PM, gk10002000 said:

You know, in Pattaya, I love the little lunch counter at Took Lae Dee.  Reminds me of old lunch counters in the USA and my Grandfather had an old silver top diner.  It is a bit entertaining to watch the short order cooks do their thing,  And the place is busy and typically clean. Being busy is good because it implies a lot of turn over and that the food is fresh and not stale.

Where is it , please?

On 17/06/2017 at 12:38 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'm waiting until I can have scrambled eggs, bacon and hash browns to go along with my IHOP pancakes. Once those additional items become available at the future 4th floor Paragon full restaurant version of IHOP, then I'll have an opinion on IHOP as it relates to this thread. :smile:

Strawberry and banana pancakes from the limited ground floor version of IHOP at Paragon today - 195b.

2017-06-17 14.50.05_result.jpg

Thats not really a breakfast however delicious it is. Its a dessert, a pudding, a sweet an afters. That being said I like Indian Curry for breakfast....but I wouldn't put it on a breakfast thread.

Edited by The manic