Thai tax: what if working outside Thailand for Thai company

Perhaps someone can advise if one is liable for Thai tax if one is hired as an outsourced on a case by case basis by a Thai company for example for consultancy or

to write English language reports and:

- One does that work completely outside Thailand (while living in Europe)

- but one receives the remuneration for that from the Thai company in Thailand on a Thai bank account

- or what if the Thai company remits it to a bank account in Europe?

Does it make any difference if there is or there is not any formal contract?

I cannot seem to find an answer to the above question and given situation, as most questions are about foreigners supposedly working outside Thailand for work/customers outside Thailand, but living/residing in Thailand, and/or receiving the income in Thailand.

Anyone have experience/knowledge on the above given situation?

Thanks

:smile:

Where are you a "resident for tax purposes"? 

I think people cannot give you a firm answer to your questions if we don´t know more about your nationality and where you live (for how long etc).

25 minutes ago, DUS said:

Where are you a "resident for tax purposes"? 

I think people cannot give you a firm answer to your questions if we don´t know more about your nationality and where you live (for how long etc).

Thanks for your reply.

Understand your point, but my question is more specifically on whether that person would be liable for tax in Thailand.

As mentioned, the person would be living full time, thus be a tax resident, in Europe, more specifically an EU country.

The main point of my question revolves around the situation that one would receive the remuneration for the work in a Thai bank account in Thailand, while living full-time elsewhere (EU country), be a tax resident full-time elsewhere, do the work elsewhere (EU), but send it through e-mail to the Thailand-based Thai (only) company.

So the question is not about what taxes one would be liable for in his EU home country (hence why I did not specify which country in Europe), but the taxes one would be liable for in Thailand if done as described above, i.e. hired to do a service for a Thai company, doing the service in while residing in EU all year round, but getting paid for it by bank transfer within Thailand into a Thai bank account.

But I do understand that your remark is probably in terms of considering tax treaties and such.

I live and work in Thailand by the way, but am just asking the question for if I, or anyone, would be living full time in EU (Netherlands in my case) and doing the above for my current Thai employer.

Hope this clarifies

:smile:

Do a Google search, then click on whatever look to be the most promising results. While I haven't used their website in some time (apart from a brief search in reference to your OP), the Thai Revenue Dept. offers comprehensive information in English.

In a nutshell: "Resident" means any person residing in Thailand.....more than 180 days in any tax (calendar) year. A Resident  is liable to pay tax on income from sources within Thailand, as well as on the portion of income from foreign sources that is brought into Thailand. A Non-resident is, however, subject to tax only on income from sources in Thailand".

Thailand has "avoidance of double taxation" treaties with many countries. Do a Google search with regard to The Netherlands.

Archived