he put them back without filters again

the wife said she knew the people and they wouldn't spend money on filters

so water straight out of tap would be safer to drink

cheers stick to leo

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on who owns the machines. the new machines have indicator lights that turn RED when the filter needs changing and also I believe will not operate without filters in place. In my building as soon as the thing turns red, tell the office and usually with 3 or 4 hours the maintenance guy is here to fix it right up.

27 minutes ago, opalred said:

to my shock emptied  water out and i saw no filters in canisters

he put them back without filters again

Why are you shocked? Never trust anyone in Thailand unless you can check everything they do yourself.

At my house have our water well, drilled down 57 m, large tank 10k liters, filter from tank output to house. Then kitchen has another filter. I trust this water. Outside I trust the bottled from throw-away bottles, not hard, refillable ones. Just because I am paranoid does not mean there are not bacteria out to get me.

4 hours ago, tonray said:

It depends on who owns the machines. the new machines have indicator lights that turn RED when the filter needs changing and also I believe will not operate without filters in place. In my building as soon as the thing turns red, tell the office and usually with 3 or 4 hours the maintenance guy is here to fix it right up.

Well of course...but this is Thailand, you only have to unscrew the bulb in the red indicator light and you have saved yourself 10 years of filter purchase.

5 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Why are you shocked? Never trust anyone in Thailand unless you can check everything they do yourself.

So can we say by that statement unless you can check everthing you do not buy it. 

Edited by jeab1980

3 hours ago, keeniau96 said:

At my house have our water well, drilled down 57 m, large tank 10k liters, filter from tank output to house. Then kitchen has another filter. I trust this water. Outside I trust the bottled from throw-away bottles, not hard, refillable ones. Just because I am paranoid does not mean there are not bacteria out to get me.

I would use a large coal filter before tank too if I were you. 

16 minutes ago, ThailandLOS said:

There is always the issue of contaminated ice - you never know the source of that.

Mai namkaeng krap

Ice with the holes in the center is good, cubes are, (or are more likely to be) bad.

3 minutes ago, muzmurray said:

Ice with the holes in the center is good, cubes are, (or are more likely to be) bad.

We buy two sacks of ice a day 80bht from local ice delivery man. Never had any problem with bugs or doggy tummy. None of our customers who buy it have either. We buy the big cylinder with hole through center type.

4 minutes ago, Gumballl said:

I find it funny that the OP is worried about the water, but yet is brave enough to ride a bicycle in LOS.

I used to think the same about cycling here. So many threads and the pro cyclists convinced me to give it a go. Hooked now i go out every day usualy only about 6 to 8 miles but i love it again and so far never had a problem with cars or dogs or (to keep it loisley on thread)  water

Edited by jeab1980

13 minutes ago, Argus Tuft said:

For what reason?

Because of the way that ice factories make their ice, that is and always has been a way to tell if your ice has been made in a factory.

"It's due to the way the ice cubes are made. Many commercial machines use a freezing rod in addition to the exterior surfaces of the freezing container. When the cubes are removed from the rod, a cylindrical void remains."

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-they-make-ice-with-holes-at-restaurants

Argus Tuft.....Block cubes hold all the bacteria in the centre when completely frozen..

Many years ago we were told while in Vietnam working .....If you drink your whiskey with ice in it...watch the cubes and when the ice melts down nearly to the discoloured centre, grab it out of your drink and put in new ice....

16 hours ago, Gumballl said:

I find it funny that the OP is worried about the water, but yet is brave enough to ride a bicycle in LOS.

common sense will tell you, you are most likely to die riding a bicycle in LOS. Water? Just bad stomach you still survive most of the time.

6 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

So can we say by that statement unless you can check everthing you do not buy it. 

No, you cant say that. There are things that I cant check and have to buy anyway, so I do. But I still dont trust the people selling/doing it.

3 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

No, you cant say that. There are things that I cant check and have to buy anyway, so I do. But I still dont trust the people selling/doing it.

So your statement is floored. 

Edited by jeab1980

1 hour ago, weegee said:

Argus Tuft.....Block cubes hold all the bacteria in the centre when completely frozen..

Many years ago we were told while in Vietnam working .....If you drink your whiskey with ice in it...watch the cubes and when the ice melts down nearly to the discoloured centre, grab it out of your drink and put in new ice....

Kind of makes sense intuitively. Since the water will freeze from the surface and inwards bacteria will 'escape' into remaining water in the center until the cube is solid.

Maybe a biologist can confirm this theory ;)

But why the heck would you accept a drink with discoloured ice in the first place?

8 hours ago, keeniau96 said:

555 love the last sentence. I use it all the time.

1 hour ago, weegee said:

who leaves the whiskey in their glass long enough to see the ice melt....for that matter who would add ice to god's nectar.....unless of course you are drinking some rotgut

3 hours ago, muzmurray said:

Ice with holes in the middle come out of a machine; but that does not tell you the source of the water.

The other day I bought a small bottle of water from an old man selling on the street.  It was in an ice chest and looked refreshing.

Walked away and when I opened it, noticed the crackling sound of the seal breaking was missing. Smelled the water, it smelled like the water coming out of my shower on some days.  Tossed it out and bought one from 7-11 with a seal AND plastic seal.

What's next?  Damn.

Edited by Nowisee

Although there is a government agency to monitor they don't?  The government standard is the filter need to be changed every two months. The article doesn't specify which filter since they are a number. I have one of these machine and if I had to do it over again it is just a waste of time.

To change the entire set it is over 3,000 baht, doing research you can also open and rinse the filters clean but they do need to be replace at some point Even the company that sold it to me have no idea actually when to change it. There are times they come out to service for other reasons which I can't fix myself, to make more money they say I need to replace the filter which happens I did days ago. When you tell them, it is another excuse.  After years I started to do research and located vendor to obtain the filter cheaper.  I replace the Micro once a month and rinse out the rest. Now it is every six month I replace the whole set, clean the lines and tanks.

Personally, in my neighborhood never seen anyone else service or clean like me. It makes no difference because the Thai, don't like me so they walk down the Soi to use the Thai own one which is never service. Only my closest neighbor and tenants buy my water.