think before buying next water on the streets

opalred

8 hours ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

It's more than 40 baht though isn't it.  You can get 12 600ml bottles for about 50 baht.  I could drink 3-4 of those packs in a week.  I can buy 1.5 litres of water from a machine for 1 baht.  So it's more like 150 baht a week difference, per person.  If there are 2 or more of you in the same household multiply it up.

I come from the UK where water is freeI understand the US and other places can't/don't drink water from the tap, so maybe it's less of a jump for them if they were buying bottled water before anyway.  But for me it was a shock to come to Thailand and have to buy water, at any cost.

Water in the UK is not free.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

It's more than 40 baht though isn't it.  You can get 12 600ml bottles for about 50 baht.  I could drink 3-4 of those packs in a week.  I can buy 1.5 litres of water from a machine for 1 baht.  So it's more like 150 baht a week difference, per person.  If there are 2 or more of you in the same household multiply it up.

I come from the UK where water is free, I understand the US and other places can't/don't drink water from the tap, so maybe it's less of a jump for them if they were buying bottled water before anyway.  But for me it was a shock to come to Thailand and have to buy water, at any cost.

Which part of the UK did you get free water then house of mom and dad? Water in UK is expensive. I was when i left many years ago paying then £35 a month DD for water and sewerage bills. Now i belive most properties are metered same as they are here just a lot more expensive. 

"The average household bill for water and sewerage services in South West Water's service area will be £488 in 2016/17"

So £40.66pm Average.

Here my water pm month 300bht (usualy 250 to 280bht) @43.75 echange rate = £6.87pm. We have a water filter machine cost for filter machine free (brorther in law in the trade) cost for new filters each 6 months (they say a year like to do it 6 monthly) 3 x filters 1500 so 3000 a year @43.75 = £5.71 pm

total for water pm = £12.58 

empty septic tank once a year 200bht( done ours once in 4.5 years).  So if you add the .38p a month for that

= 12.96pm.. £27.70 pm Average saving or 1,211 bht.

sorry went of on a tangent there

Edited by jeab1980

6000 ml bottles of water at Makro for 28 bht.  That's our route. Couldn't get the wife to drink the water out of machines if I tried.

Now thats cheap. Another reason to stay away from the machines. I'm not gambling with my health.

3 hours ago, observer90210 said:

So any of you guys could recommend some good water filters (not the RO) ?

And was thinking to fix one from the outpoint of the tank to home and for the bathroom and kitchen,.

We have Mazuma carbon and resin filters to the house.

Drinking water is further filtered using an eSpring water filter, bought from Amway.

The Mazuma filters need backwashing weekly and I recharge the resin filter with brine every two weeks (anyone - is this right?).

The eSpring filters are changed annually.

We initially had a Mazuma RO filter for drinking water but the waste water produced was too much. Missus complained to HomePro who gave a full refund. Pretty good service from them.

Find the eSpring very good.

Edited by grollies

3 hours ago, grollies said:

We have Mazuma carbon and resin filters to the house.

Drinking water is further filtered using an eSpring water filter, bought from Amway.

The Mazuma filters need backwashing weekly and I recharge the resin filter with brine every two weeks (anyone - is this right?).

The eSpring filters are changed annually.

We initially had a Mazuma RO filter for drinking water but the waste water produced was too much. Missus complained to HomePro who gave a full refund. Pretty good service from them.

Find the eSpring very good.

Hi, thanks for the advice. You bought these filters from Home Pro?  - Would you recommend installation from Home Pro people or to try elsewhere?

1 minute ago, observer90210 said:

Hi, thanks for the advice. You bought these filters from Home Pro?  - Would you recommend installation from Home Pro people or to try elsewhere?

Mazuma filters from HomePro, installation done by local contractor. Very good and he'll offer to visit you and clean filters every few weeks for a fee.

eSpring bought from Amway separately.

3 minutes ago, grollies said:

Mazuma filters from HomePro, installation done by local contractor. Very good and he'll offer to visit you and clean filters every few weeks for a fee.

eSpring bought from Amway separately.

ok thanks a lot. Once installed, the first glass of water will be drunk to your health!!!

On 11/6/2560 at 11:59 PM, dfdgfdfdgs said:

But for me it was a shock to come to Thailand and have to buy water, at any cost.

Naivety... Welcome to how most people on the face of planet earth live...

On 2017-6-12 at 2:59 AM, dfdgfdfdgs said:

I come from the UK where water is free, I understand the US and other places can't/don't drink water from the tap, so maybe it's less of a jump for them if they were buying bottled water before anyway.  But for me it was a shock to come to Thailand and have to buy water, at any cost.

Do you seriously get free water on the UK? You don't have to pay for your tap water? Wow! Lucky buggers in the UK...

On 5/13/2017 at 4:57 AM, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

At home we have a filter system, but outside we drink unbottled water at restaurants and most of the times we have no problem. We however never use water machines because it is a very high risk water source. 

Bottled water yes, but in retrospect, I do drink a lot of watermelon or banana shakes that use a lot of crushed ice, and I am pretty sure that ice comes from the local tap water.  In 14 visits have had one or two where I got a little bit of a bug.  Don't know anyway when eating at a restaurant to 100% avoid tap water. Not to mention inhaling or swallowing some water while showering

1 hour ago, jeab1980 said:

Well it no free is it

Some people are confused about the meaning of the word "free". There's a difference between "practically free" and "free". Plus there would be a cost of tap water of not just the water but a charge for the service & sewage too.

Anyway, Merriam Webster's dictionary defines "free" as: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/free

free

play
adjective \ˈfrē\

Definition of free for English Language Learners

• : not costing any money

I used to only buy bottled water from 7-11 in Bangkok until the flood in 2011. Then, there was no more water (or food) on the shelves for a long time. I started using the apartment building filtered water machine with no regrets. The machine stops regularly until the filters are replaced. Never been sick. Saved a ton of money.

6 hours ago, scoutman360 said:

I used to only buy bottled water from 7-11 in Bangkok until the flood in 2011. Then, there was no more water (or food) on the shelves for a long time. I started using the apartment building filtered water machine with no regrets. The machine stops regularly until the filters are replaced. Never been sick. Saved a ton of money.

In Bangkok tap water should be safe to drink from tap almost anywhere.  It is monitored at every pumping station in real time to meet drinking standards.  Filtering is more for taste than bacteria these days, and at times the output of street filter machines is worse than the input due poor maintenance.  

• 3 weeks later...

For those that don't want to drink bottled water or use filters  on their taps  try this expirament I did. On bathroom tap where we do not have a filter I turned the fawcet almost off but left a slight drip. We went away for 3 days and when came back there was a slight brown stain from the dripping water in the white basin probably caused by sediment, rusted pipes to aprtment or chemicals. I'd rather not drink that which is why I use filter or bottled water.

seems like these machines are independently operated like a franchise on private property.

i used to think they were operated by some sort of central water authority, but now just get bottled water. the one near my home in cm was always ok, but the guy whose house it was in front of was pretty affulent so I suspect he maintained it and changed the filters regularly. some of the machines in front of stores in bkk the water tasted weird. in bkk i just get bottled water. i like to lick wet bushes.

Edited by Jim Turner Mad Punx