A friend of mine...........

Ian1980

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I would give him two weeks to pay, tell him that if the moneys is not forth coming in that time, tell him he had better move to another part of Thailand as you will keep on making his life a misery,  there are plenty of ways to do this, just use your imagination.

Why not leave a horses head on his bed one night?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am amazed at the amount of posters who are saying just write it off and forget it.

OK, so it's just 3000Bt, is this guy local, and does the OP meet him all the time, along with other expats?

What I'm getting at is if one of my friends borrowed money from another friend, and he did not pay him back, I would

let him know what I thought about it, and let the other expats in the company also know.

3 hours ago, maximillian said:

I would threaten him to cause problems telling tourist police, RTP and immigration.

Might work, might not work but might make him feel uncomfortable.

I borrowed a "friend" 20.000 Baht, same story, but got it back 2.000 Baht/month within 10 month after mentioning the possibility of telling police and immigration.

It's not the loss of money, it's more the disappointment about a person who abused your helpfullness.

Your last sentence is spot on.

I would say, "he" (the borrower) has little or no respect for the lender and isnt worried about any repercussions, whatever they may be, or he would have paid it or made an atrangement of some kind.

So he is taking the lender for a sucker and needs an "attitude adjustment".

They debtor mentioned that he is 'unable' to return the borrowed 3000 baht to the Op. 

Would that mean that he is 'unwilling' to ?

IF someone is so hard up that they need  3000 baht expecting it back over a very short time frame seems a little naive. 

OP: you have been a good friend in helping out another friend - Is there any way your debt can be repaid over a period of time ? i.e. 500 baht per week ?

(apologies if this answer has already been provided... I started reading all the replies, but there are too many 'smart arsed' and unrealistic replies to filter through). 

On 5/15/2017 at 2:17 PM, Ian1980 said:

Using police is useless?

personally i think involving the police over sub 100 dollars is pointless.

of course you clearly documented the loan, the terms, and you had him sign upon receiving the money or made sure there was clear proof it even happened right?

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

I am amazed at the amount of posters who are saying just write it off and forget it.

OK, so it's just 3000Bt, is this guy local, and does the OP meet him all the time, along with other expats?

What I'm getting at is if one of my friends borrowed money from another friend, and he did not pay him back, I would

let him know what I thought about it, and let the other expats in the company also know.

Write it off and forget him is the consensus and for 3000 it's not even worth thinking about.

3000 baht is a small amount. Just put it down to experience and you can use it as an excuse for not lending sums to anyone in the future. Just beware if he pays you back it will not be long before he asks to borrow money again and next time it will be a lot more than 3000 baht. That's the way these jerks operate. 

Look on the positive side. It's cost the OP 3000 baht to find out his so-called friend is an oxygen thief. "Friends" can be a lot more expensive than that.

Do nothing. Say nothing. If he pays you back eventually, take the money, look him in the eye and tell him to ###k off.

17 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Write it off and forget him is the consensus and for 3000 it's not even worth thinking about.

I do respect what you are saying, everyone has different natures, all I'm saying is, there is no way I would ever forget about it.

It's both amazing  and worrying the amount of interest this paltry sum has attracted, in my opinion its more the principle that is important.

On the worrying side, I wonder how many expats in Thailand consider such a small sum of money is out of reach to them, if it is, how on earth can they survive or are they literally living hand to mouth. 

I have come across such instances a few times, and in those cases, the borrowers were later realised to be alcoholics.

Just now, DipStick said:

It's both amazing  and worrying the amount of interest this paltry sum has attracted, in my opinion its more the principle that is important.

On the worrying side, I wonder how many expats in Thailand consider such a small sum of money is out of reach to them, if it is, how on earth can they survive or are they literally living hand to mouth. 

I have come across such instances a few times, and in those cases, the borrowers were later realised to be alcoholics.

I guess the real story here is somebody was dumb enough to make a loan to the wrong friend and then dumb enough to ask us if the BIB would enforce it.