A friend of mine...........

Ian1980

One of my brothers always said that he'd rather fall out with a 'friend' because he wouldn't lend them the money - rather than fall out because the 'friend' didn't pay the money back :laugh:!

He's right of course, but even so its not a philosophy I've been able to adopt when it comes to family or those I consider good friends.  Its worked out pretty well as I've only been let down once (for a large amount) by someone I considered a good friend - whereas I've been helped enormously by a couple of people when in dire straits and I've similarly given them 'my last penny'  when they needed help :smile:.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, jaymbkk said:

Bank transfer receipt won't help, as long as you willingly transfered the money to him and have no written proof that it was a loan police can't do anything for you sadly.

In my opinion, better forget about it

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

+1

There is nothing you can do. You have no proof of loan, only of giving him money.

1 hour ago, Ian1980 said:

Using police is useless?

For a Baht 3,000.- "debt" the police will just laugh at you - if they even take the time to do that.

It's peanuts - write it off, learn the lesson and move on.

Patrick

1 hour ago, Ian1980 said:

What you think? Going trought all the process or just think lose 3000 thb?

Not worth the trouble for 3 grand imho, minus the po-lice's cut even if you succeed ...

But you certainly paid in advance for a hefty kick to your dear 'friends' balls on next occasion, man.

1 minute ago, anotheruser said:

Maybe you could work out payment plans for your friend. I think it is a  bit much of you to expect anybody to just have that amount on them or be able to make good on it all at one time. 

Maybe a possible plan...But turns you into a bit of a "loan shark" or "bank".....

But - they sure didn't mind asking for and taking it all at once....

7 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

Maybe you could work out payment plans for your friend. I think it is a  bit much of you to expect anybody to just have that amount on them or be able to make good on it all at one time. 

yeah ....  3000 is alot to pay in one go .... maybe he can pay 50 baht a month for the next

5  years  ...:cheesy:

Edited by steven100

Jesus this is tragic. Please dont waste the police's time on something so pathetic.

Just forget about it and move on. Ask him for it if you see him. Dont worry about it, its not the end of the world. Dont lend money to people again, or only lend an amount you dont mind not getting back.

If someone is so hard up they need to ask for 3,000 baht, its probably unlikely you were ever going to see it again anyway.

It's a price worth paying, he will never ask to borrow money from you again and you now know he's not reliable.

All you can do is ask him nicely for the cash at some point in the future.

When he comes back asking for more, even if he does eventually repay it tell him no.

16 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

I totally agree. 

I have always walked away from people like this. My feelings are let them go. They got you one time and only one time and lost a good person who was willing to help them .That person willnot be there next time. Your life will grow theirs will shrivel.

great post well said

For a relatively small amount of money you have found out one of the most important aspects of a person. Get out your eraser and write them off, never have any dealings with them whatsoever, and tell any mutual friends that the person in question is not to be trusted. Needless to say, NEVER lend that person money again, and don,t even consider involving the police over such a trivial amount, really !

As others have said, put it down to a 3,000 baht lesson in life. If it is repaid it will be a bonus.

Next time you lend someone money, new best friend or not, make sure you don't come to rely on the lent money in the close future. I know it doesn't make it right, but plans do come off the rails at the most inconvenient times.....................:sleep:

First of all don't use the term friend at this point he is an acquaintance

Look at it this way, 3,000 THB probably saved you a lot more in the future from this acquaintance

And really if this amount is really hurting your budget you shouldn't be a lender period  

18 hours ago, Ian1980 said:

What you think? Going trought all the process or just think lose 3000 thb?

It is very unlikely the police will help you unless there is a Thai person involved.

It is 3000 baht. You have lost it or they may pay it back when they have it.

Live and learn it's only 3000 not 300k or 30k. 

No loan or promissory note so little you can do except accept possibly personal property of his since his said he has no way to pay you back. 

Live and learn as I know better as I learned a long time ago easiest way to loose is a friend is loan them money.