Two pickup questions

Hi there

I have a Isuzu 4 door 4x4 auto which is now around 8 or 10 years old and I'm thinking about upgrading to a newer pickup.  My pickup does some farm work, not a lot but enough to need the 4x4, I also need 4 doors and automatic.  So the questions are, new or near new (second hand) and would you go for Isuzu, Toyota, Mitsubishi or Ford?

Thanks

Craighj

1 minute ago, craighj said:

Hi Transam

Generally yes I was happy with my Isuzu, but that's not to say I would not look at another brand.  I get your point and that is certainly a decision factor.

Craighj

To me in LOS Isuzu and Toyota are really the only choice for trouble free motoring, regardless of what the ride was built for......Isuzu and Toyota 10 years back were very different animals, Toyota was way ahead, even got awards....Today I don't know, perhaps things have equaled up a bit.............Think either one will fill the job.....:smile:

Second hand cars here to me seem a bad deal, a new one doesnt cost much more and has a warranty. Another thing is people here never seem to service their cars much, or wait until they are broken and then fix them, but in reality most of them are doing good to keep up with the payments so service gets left out. My choice would be Isuzu but I dont really like the new 1.9 engine, yes it has decent claimed HP but at a high RPM. We have shopped them all and again for the money and reliability you cant beat the Isuzu. Also all the new sontgtaews where I live are isuzu.

My wife is still shopping for a new pickup. I convinced her that a truck is much more practical and economical than a car.  Especially for driving on the roads she has to use. Today she ruled out Misubishi because she doesn't like the looks or the interior. She is still considering the Nissan but the 1.9 liter Isuzu is by far the leader as far as fuel economy and she likes the looks. She has been driving my 3.0 liter V-Cross a lot lately and it is growing on her. At first she thought it was too big.

Edited by Gary A

12 hours ago, Gary A said:

My wife is still shopping for a new pickup. I convinced her that a truck is much more practical and economical than a car.  Especially for driving on the roads she has to use. Today she ruled out Misubishi because she doesn't like the looks or the interior. She is still considering the Nissan but the 1.9 liter Isuzu is by far the leader as far as fuel economy and she likes the looks. She has been driving my 3.0 liter V-Cross a lot lately and it is growing on her. At first she thought it was too big.

The only problem Mrs.Trans has with our truck is parking the thing, other than that she loves it, mainly cos it's an auto, easy peazy to drive...:smile:

4 minutes ago, transam said:

The only problem Mrs.Trans has with our truck is parking the thing, other than that she loves it, mainly cos it's an auto, easy peazy to drive...:smile:

I promised her that whatever she decides is OK with me. Whatever we buy will definitely have an automatic transmission. All I really told her is that the 1.9 liter Isuzu will be more economical as far as fuel than the Nissan. Since we keep our vehicles for many years, resale is not a big concern.

16 minutes ago, Gary A said:

I promised her that whatever she decides is OK with me. Whatever we buy will definitely have an automatic transmission. All I really told her is that the 1.9 liter Isuzu will be more economical as far as fuel than the Nissan. Since we keep our vehicles for many years, resale is not a big concern.

Me too, which was my point regarding diesel turbos and taking note of the handbook advice so it will keep going year after year. Actually after reading stuff and what a turbo has to deal with using full synthetic oil makes sense...

My wife drives our current Isuzu, she likes it and is generally OK when driving forward however seems to hit everything within a 50 meter radius when in reverse!

Anyway, I think it's either going to be another Isuzu or a Toyota.  While I like the Ford Ranger I've heard a lot of bad press about the service at the dealerships.  Our local Isuzu guys have been pretty good to deal with.

Thanks

Craigh

For a working truck I would go for the Mitsu, followed by the Nissan followed by the Toyota.

I would give an Isuzu back if given one because it is overpriced and overwhelmed by the competition, and would have to put a bag over my head if I had a Chevy.

I wouldn't consider a second hand truck at all.

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

For a working truck I would go for the Mitsu, followed by the Nissan followed by the Toyota.

I would give an Isuzu back if given one because it is overpriced and overwhelmed by the competition, and would have to put a bag over my head if I had a Chevy.

I wouldn't consider a second hand truck at all.

You can keep your Ford and get rid of it when the warranty expires. If not, you will have to get a loan on the truck to pay for the Ford repair service. As for me, I''m very happy with my V-Cross. I'm considering buying a 1.9 liter D-Max for my wife. As far as price, it's obvious you have not looked at pickup prices. The Fords are MUCH higher priced than the competition other than maybe a Toyota.

You can keep your Ford and get rid of it when the warranty expires. If not, you will have to get a loan on the truck to pay for the Ford repair service. As for me, I''m very happy with my V-Cross. I'm considering buying a 1.9 liter D-Max for my wife. As far as price, it's obvious you have not looked at pickup prices. The Fords are MUCH higher priced than the competition other than maybe a Toyota.

I never mentioned Ford. I wouldn't buy one of the lower priced Fords as I don't think they're good value. But, for a premium truck, the Wildtrak is the best you can buy here. I've never had to pay Ford for repairs in 6 years of owning them here.

If you're happy with your V Cross, then good for you. I know people who are happy sitting on the floor and eating street food...

11 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

I never mentioned Ford. I wouldn't buy one of the lower priced Fords as I don't think they're good value. But, for a premium truck, the Wildtrak is the best you can buy here. I've never had to pay Ford for repairs in 6 years of owning them here.

If you're happy with your V Cross, then good for you. I know people who are happy sitting on the floor and eating street food...

You talking about Isuzu reminds me of the Ford hater posts. Same attitude, same BS.

I DO eat street food but my old bones cannot sit on the floor to eat it. I'd enjoy sitting on the floor to eat but my squatting days are long gone. I'd need help to get back up so I sit at the table to enjoy that delicious food.

Edited by Gary A

You talking about Isuzu reminds me of the Ford hater posts. Same attitude, same BS.

I DO eat street food but my old bones cannot sit on the floor to eat it. I'd enjoy sitting on the floor to eat but my squatting days are long gone. I'd need help to get back up so I sit at the table to enjoy that delicious food.

Except my dislike of the current Isuzu truck comes from having driven one unlike the majority of the Ford haters.

Sent from my Cray II supercomputer

1 minute ago, JaseTheBass said:

Except my dislike of the current Isuzu truck comes from having driven one unlike the majority of the Ford haters.

Sent from my Cray II supercomputer

I'd bet that the Isuzu was an old model. You seem not to have noticed that ALL the new pickups are way advanced from just a few years ago. I don't think that you could  possibly buy a bad pickup here in Thailand. They are all dependable and about the only thing to separate them is looks, service and fuel economy. If you determine advanced fuel economy to the engineering quality, Isuzu is way ahead. Most of us care little about fuel economy but it tells me something about engineering. Sales figures should also give you a hint.

I'd bet that the Isuzu was an old model. You seem not to have noticed that ALL the new pickups are way advanced from just a few years ago. I don't think that you could  possibly buy a bad pickup here in Thailand. They are all dependable and about the only thing to separate them is looks, service and fuel economy. If you determine advanced fuel economy to the engineering quality, Isuzu is way ahead. Most of us care little about fuel economy but it tells me something about engineering. Sales figures should also give you a hint.

Mid 2015. New shape, old engine I believe.

In the last two years, both Toyota and Isuzu have come out with new more efficient engines. So far I have heard nothing about any problems. I would think both manufactures have a lot of confidence in their new engines and wouldn't risk taking a chance on ruining their reliability reputations.

2 hours ago, Gary A said:

Why is Isuzu the best selling pickup in Thailand? All those buyers apparently think differently than you.

https://www.marklines.com/en/statistics/flash_sales/salesfig_thailand_2017

Like most things on Thailand their decision is limited by choice and cost.

If you use Thailand as a benchmark then the whole World knows nothing about cars/trucks and we should all really be driving a Honda or a Toyota sh1tbox...

No thanks.. Most thais live in a bubble.

8 minutes ago, Pdaz said:

If you use Thailand as a benchmark then the whole World knows nothing about cars/trucks and we should all really be driving a Honda or a Toyota sh1tbox...

Really.............Perhaps they know what breaks down and what rarely does...:smile:

1 hour ago, Pdaz said:

Are you saying that the choice is limited?  What brand of vehicle would you consider as better? As for cost, some people pay through the nose for a status symbol like a BMW or Mercedes.

They buy Isuzu and Toyota because of proven reliability....Thai folk ain't daft regarding buy and have motoring  ploblems....:stoner:

Yep, Thai folks continuously amaze me with their knowledge of all things vehicular.

1 minute ago, JaseTheBass said:

Yep, Thai folks continuously amaze me with their knowledge of all things vehicular.

Indeed, took them many years to learn what ride keeps going....:stoner:

6 hours ago, transam said:

They buy Isuzu and Toyota because of proven reliability....Thai folk ain't daft regarding buy and have motoring  ploblems....:stoner:

Reliability of the current model Isuzu and Toyota pickups is not proven as they have not been out long enough.  

Toyota sell the most light vehicles in Thailand but they also spend way more than other brands on advertising.  They would not spend all that cash if it did not get sales.  Thai folk ain't daft but they are also not immune to advertising. 

Edited by Jitar

3 hours ago, transam said:

Really.............Perhaps they know what breaks down and what rarely does...:smile:

And to Vigo a + don't ever bother with scheduled services as used by ISIS in Syria etc. :biggrin:

11 hours ago, Jitar said:

Reliability of the current model Isuzu and Toyota pickups is not proven as they have not been out long enough.  

Toyota sell the most light vehicles in Thailand but they also spend way more than other brands on advertising.  They would not spend all that cash if it did not get sales.  Thai folk ain't daft but they are also not immune to advertising. 

They all use advertising in different ways, some I suppose with basic stuff and others with sponsoring which involves mega dosh.

When I first came to LOS my Thai friends told me (my interpretation) that Toyota  pickups were the RR with Isuzu a close second, Nissan and Ford were deemed...:bah:.

But that didn't influence my Vigo choice because I had already bought one. I had never owned a Toyota back home but the finest motor engineer guy l have ever known always used Toyota's in his daily life because they were so reliable, he didn't want to mess around fixing his work horse. That is why I bought the Vigo. Ten years on he was right, still drives like new with no rattles, knocks, squeaks, nothing. Of course nothing is 100% trouble free but my decision was the right one so far...:tongue:

As for the Revo, well I reckon Toyota will only go down the road of improving stuff which incorporates it's reliability trade mark..