Chaiyaphum tambon becomes plastic-bag free

webfact

Chaiyaphum tambon becomes plastic-bag free
By The Nation

CHAIYAPHUM: -- Residents in tambon Khok Kung of Chaiyaphum's Kaeng Khro district have joined forces to make their community plastic-bag free for more than two years. 

The initiative of the community of some 2,000 households involved the participation of residents from 13 villages from the conceptualisation stage through to the implementation and follow-up, said Khok Kung kamnan Reungrit Boonkan on Monday. 

The initiative stemmed from the community having no garbage truck or dump, while the amount of trash had increased.

The residents came together and started using weaved baskets instead of plastic bags. 

Each family has at least one weaved basket, which are made in the community, to go shopping while they are also encouraged to use bicycles instead of vehicles when travelling in the community to lessen pollution and road accidents.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30315254

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-05-15

I was pleasantly amazed at Decathlon on Rama IV (Bangkok) on the weekend when the check-out girl asked me if I wanted a plastic bag or not.  I was about to tell her not to bother putting my purchases in a plastic bag, but this is the first time I can recall ever being asked in Thailand.  Decathlon deserve kudos for this, if it is a store-wide policy.