Football fiasco: Two Britons, Thai accused of Premier League piracy

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

You could be right, but you can hardly blame Truevisions. They just paid out a huge sum to get back the exclusive rights to broadcast the Premier League in Thailand. They can be rightly angry that others are illegally streaming what they have paid for and undermining their customer base.

Can't blame Truevisions but when the only TV you watch is the EPL paying 2000+ baht a month is just too much. 365Sport was an excellent service providing exactly what I needed for a fraction of the cost.   Lost a couple of months subscription but still just a drop in the ocean compared to the fortune I would have squandered if I had been paying Truevisions for the last few years.  As with many copyright issues, people are happy to pay for the fakes but wouldn't otherwise buy the original item so the copyright owners 'loss' is a bit of an illusion.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

I've never been interested in football, but I understand that these days to attend a premier league game, it will set you back in excess of 4000 Baht.

Of course these prices are warranted when you talk about football transfers of 60 Million GBP.

So first of all I can't get it in my head why a football player, regardless of how good he is, can be worth 60.000.000 Gbp for a transfer. And may be in the next 5 years double that.

If supporters wouldn't pay +4000 Baht for a lousy 90 minutes game, the price of the players and EPL rights would also have to drop.

It is all a house of cards, and take the supporters out of it, the house of cards will fold.

Attending an EPL match costs from GBP30 to GBP60 (not +B4000) and most supporters purchase season tickets which are around GBP550 for Premier League clubs. Given around 25 home games per season, that works out at about 22 pounds per match (around B1000). You may as well say that taking the supporters of any sport away & it would fold but that is not realism - just fantasy.

I do agree with you about the transfer fees for players but that has escalated to stupid heights precisely because of the EPL's monopolistics profits going to the clubs. Before the TV rights were worth so much, transfer fees were much lower.

Actually it's the couch potato supporters (I'm one) who pay the service providers around the world who feed the huge profits that go back to the EPL.

3 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

I've never been interested in football, but I understand that these days to attend a premier league game, it will set you back in excess of 4000 Baht.

Of course these prices are warranted when you talk about football transfers of 60 Million GBP.

So first of all I can't get it in my head why a football player, regardless of how good he is, can be worth 60.000.000 Gbp for a transfer. And may be in the next 5 years double that.

If supporters wouldn't pay +4000 Baht for a lousy 90 minutes game, the price of the players and EPL rights would also have to drop.

It is all a house of cards, and take the supporters out of it, the house of cards will fold.

I 'm with you mate

4000B and that's the cheap seats, me I would rather watch paint dry for 90 minutes.

UK Prm sold the rights to local companies and they being the holders of the rights bring in the bib. IP which once stoop for IP address but now has a different meaning here in the last 48 hours want to protect their investment.

This is nothing to do with the UK prem so they said today and is down to the local franchise holder to sort out.

My feeling are 22 overpaid idiots kicking a bag of wind around is as bad as the wife on a very bad day.

Edited by wakeupplease

3 hours ago, khunken said:

Attending an EPL match costs from GBP30 to GBP60 (not +B4000) and most supporters purchase season tickets which are around GBP550 for Premier League clubs. Given around 25 home games per season, that works out at about 22 pounds per match (around B1000). You may as well say that taking the supporters of any sport away & it would fold but that is not realism - just fantasy.

I do agree with you about the transfer fees for players but that has escalated to stupid heights precisely because of the EPL's monopolistics profits going to the clubs. Before the TV rights were worth so much, transfer fees were much lower.

Actually it's the couch potato supporters (I'm one) who pay the service providers around the world who feed the huge profits that go back to the EPL.

Except Arsenal

BT and Sky killed football for the working class as couch potatoes where to lazy to go to the ground.

Copyright law is complex and I would recommend to these individuals that competent legal counsel be retained, the competence of the legal counsel could be the difference between a B1,000 fine with a 1 year suspended prison sentence and a B750,000 fine per count together with a 20 year prison sentence.

Oh, and don't forget to buy some brown envelopes, you may need a few, the people you were ripping off have deep pockets and powerful friends.

Edited by Laab Muu

4 hours ago, gmac said:

Can't blame Truevisions but when the only TV you watch is the EPL paying 2000+ baht a month is just too much. 365Sport was an excellent service providing exactly what I needed for a fraction of the cost.   Lost a couple of months subscription but still just a drop in the ocean compared to the fortune I would have squandered if I had been paying Truevisions for the last few years.  As with many copyright issues, people are happy to pay for the fakes but wouldn't otherwise buy the original item so the copyright owners 'loss' is a bit of an illusion.

Lets be fair. In previous years it may have been expensive but curently It costs 299 Baht plus the basic package (299) to watch almost every single EPL game live on Truevisions plus the Spanish, Thai, Italian, French, Champions League Europa League, Supercup, World Championship Snooker and so many other events that i can't list them all . All for less than 20 USD a month and most of them in HD. I think that is an incredible deal personally.  Life isn't free unfortunately.

14 minutes ago, MartinBKK said:

Lets be fair. In previous years it may have been expensive but curently It costs 299 Baht plus the basic package (299) to watch almost every single EPL game live on Truevisions plus the Spanish, Thai, Italian, French, Champions League Europa League, Supercup, World Championship Snooker and so many other events that i can't list them all . All for less than 20 USD a month and most of them in HD. I think that is an incredible deal personally.  Life isn't free unfortunately.

It's only an extra 199 baht on top of the basic package if you have a True phone.

At present I am paying 688.99 per month for the Smart Family Package (has Setanta Sports Rugby Channel) Plus the Football.

2 hours ago, elfpattaya said:

It's only an extra 199 baht on top of the basic package if you have a True phone.

At present I am paying 688.99 per month for the Smart Family Package (has Setanta Sports Rugby Channel) Plus the Football.

Me too. Anyone paying 2000 baht hasn't done their homework but then accuses True of rip-off prices.

4 hours ago, elfpattaya said:

I only pay 199 baht/month (+ vat = 220 baht) for my True subscription service and have done so since the start of the football season last year. True provided a 'free' Set Top Box as part of the subscription.  You will need a True SIM card in your phone. For that I receive the 4 x BeIN channels plus a couple of the other sports channels. These channels cover all the football matches from all the major leagues - UK, Spain, France, Italy and Germany.  There is no need to pay any more for a basic family package as all the Thai channels are free to air and included in the subscription. My 3 Thai family members, wife and 2 daughters, get all the 'soaps'they need from the free to air channels.  It you are looking for a good legal and paid source of US and UK TV series and films, with HD quality, look no further than www.Netflix.com . The subscription cost is a very modest 350 baht/month (with a one month free trial).  All other viewing, especially YouTube, is covered by an Android Set Top Box with no monthly subscriptions.  

Edited by Nomad97

Me too. Anyone paying 2000 baht hasn't done their homework but then accuses True of rip-off prices.

I'm no fan of Truevisions, having recently switched, but their PL package is priced very reasonably and offers every PL game (or possibly the vast majority) and is bargain compared to Sky / BT Sport subscriptions in the UK which offer far fewer games.

5 hours ago, MartinBKK said:

I stand corrected, I was a True subscriber before they lost the EPL to CTH and was under the apparently wrong impression that their prices had remained at the same level or higher.

19 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

the suspects have been charged with violating the Computer Crime Act and Intellectual Property Rights Act and causing in excess of Bt100 million worth of damages to FAPL

We're in Thailand, the world hub of intellectual piracy - though use of the word intellectual might be a stretch. So why not go after all of the pirates? 

20 minutes ago, Jonmarleesco said:

We're in Thailand, the world hub of intellectual piracy - though use of the word intellectual might be a stretch. So why not go after all of the pirates? 

Because they are only acting now under pressure from the UK authority which demanded action. That's why all the others can carry on as normal - except for the one day a year crackdown.

1 hour ago, Nomad97 said:

There is no need to pay any more for a basic family package

I pay the extra for the Smart Family Package, because it has Setanta Sports + about 16 Movie and Series Channels for the missus.

But I agree there is no need to pay the extra for a package. But I believe the package you have with the set top box and sim card is only available to Thais, correct me if I'm wrong.

11 hours ago, khunken said:

It was the big teams and itv who changed football forever back in 1991-92

Edited by BangkokNicky

Obviously, since so many were benefiting from this crime, some rather silly people are suggesting that the resources spent on the apprehension of the criminals behind this blatant theft would have been better expended on catching drug dealers, corrupt officials etc. 

I guess some crimes should be allowed to proceed unimpeded if enough people are deriving benefit from it. 

Totally lost on them that they were buying stolen goods but the same hypocrites will call for a guy selling a bit of weed to be strung up. 

42 minutes ago, BangkokNicky said:

it was the big teams that changed football forever back in 1991-92

and before that it was the big teams that changed the rules so they could get bigger. At one time teams shared the net gate revenue (after expenses) and so little clubs like Wimbledon who had home gates of around 6,000 could survive in the top division on the revenue they got from away games at 'big' clubs, Then a cartel of the larger clubs got the rules changed so the home team kept all the money; then extra seats were put in e.g. the drop down from the pitch at Old Trafford was made so they could fir in a couple of extra rows all round before they built the top tier.

Of course the massive revenue from TV rights eventually has meant the supporters revenue is only a small percentage of income and supporters are now not treated as well.

I could not have chosen a better time to depart these fair shores.  ThaiExpat TV and Sport365 kept me sane, and up to date, especially with UK news, political debate and every Spurs match live.

I suspect their are alternatives......

I have had a great 11 years, but now definitely not sorry to leave.  I will be getting a season ticket for the new stadium in N17, and wembley will be well frequented next season whenever I can.

Good luck!

2 hours ago, elfpattaya said:

I pay the extra for the Smart Family Package, because it has Setanta Sports + about 16 Movie and Series Channels for the missus.

But I agree there is no need to pay the extra for a package. But I believe the package you have with the set top box and sim card is only available to Thais, correct me if I'm wrong.

Last year the 199 baht/month was openly advertised in their shop in Big C (Surin) and they were happy to give the package to me. I think I had to buy a new SIM card for my smart phone which is a dual SIM phone anyway,  For convenience, my wife signed the 1 year contract/paperwork as the paperwork was in Thai. They took a copy of her ID card.  Previously, I have opened a phone account in my own name with AIS using my passport. I do have a Yellow House Book so I guess I could have signed up in my own right if I had been asked.  I really do not know if  Farangs can open an account with True or whether it is limited to Thais only.   

16 minutes ago, iancnx said:

I could not have chosen a better time to depart these fair shores.  ThaiExpat TV and Sport365 kept me sane, and up to date, especially with UK news, political debate and every Spurs match live.

I suspect their are alternatives......

I have had a great 11 years, but now definitely not sorry to leave.  I will be getting a season ticket for the new stadium in N17, and wembley will be well frequented next season whenever I can.

Good luck!

So your sole remaining motivation for staying here was your ability to watch English football and news? 

OK then, bye  

True Visions is a rip off.

I'm so glad cancelled them with their 21XX baht worthless platinum package.

I save a lot by using AIS fiber optic internet with 100Mbs  speed for 1,000baht a month and IPTV for 10USD/month with MONTHLY payment.

IPTV providers, the ones I have tried either have SKY/BT channels or BEIN channels and show all EPL, LA LIGA,  Bundesliga, SerieA, UCL, UEL games and have between 500-1500 channels + videoclub. Some have even catch up channels. Compared with True Visions declining channel list, repeat channels and 30 yr old series channels.

Actually those who live in Thailand can subscribe BEIN sports direct streaming service for 199baht/month directly. Sometime they have specials for 399baht for 4 months.

That is cheaper than True soccer package and totally legit.  Can use more than 1 device as well. Mobile app, desktop, laptop, or it is easy to connect laptop to TV with mirror application.

If you have Samsung smart TV, with some IPTV providers you  don't even need Kodi (Android) or Mag (Linux) boxes. Even if need such box, I suggest you buy Kodi or Mag box on ebay, amazon and only subscribe for monthly viewing. 

You can use different IPTV providers with 1 box, on 2 portals. 

That way you have flexibility and safety that you always watch what you want and still save over True rip off, with much better content.

If you are not happy with particular IPTV content provider can change easily with monthly subscription.

Edited by pon2007

Question How are they going to stop people using the Internet to watch free streamed premier league - they can't so this is all about Thai influence over what the government does when a complaint is received and the fact that farangs have got in on the business over showing Premier League matches 
Solution don't watch the news and download the content a day late

This way the Thai company having rights get no income and give up trying to charge high prices for a product that people want

6 minutes ago, JGV said:

Question How are they going to stop people using the Internet to watch free streamed premier league - they can't so this is all about Thai influence over what the government does when a complaint is received and the fact that farangs have got in on the business over showing Premier League matches 
Solution don't watch the news and download the content a day late

This way the Thai company having rights get no income and give up trying to charge high prices for a product that people want

If they really want they can block the ip addresses that stream the sports or movies from abroad, they have experience in that, as they block over 100.000 websites currently.

But actually I don't think they bother much about that, and of course you can still get around it with a vpn.

What this thread is about is some people who had servers within Thailand, and were a direct threat to legal Thai businesses, so they could confiscate them

Oh well....... Like an earlier poster Expat and 365 provided my only TV and was more than sufficient. They can stu'' the PL, it's the live cricket I signed up of with 365 - now that's gone and is not easy to find a decent stream on the internet. 

I can still get BBC, ITV and Channel 4 via the other methods and I suppose that now means moving my computer into the living room and linking it to the TV. Just paid 12 months subs as well to365!!   grrr.

I don't know about others, but having been here 12 years I often find that, just as things seem to be settling down in life, something like this happens. There just seems to be no stability.

Oh well....... Like an earlier poster Expat and 365 provided my only TV and was more than sufficient. They can stu'' the PL, it's the live cricket I signed up of with 365 - now that's gone and is not easy to find a decent stream on the internet. 

I can still get BBC, ITV and Channel 4 via the other methods and I suppose that now means moving my computer into the living room and linking it to the TV. Just paid 12 months subs as well to365!!   grrr.

I don't know about others, but having been here 12 years I often find that, just as things seem to be settling down in life, something like this happens. There just seems to be no stability.

I will feel exactly the same if, or when, PulseTV goes the same way as ThaiExpat/365Sport.

2 minutes ago, emilymat said:

Buy yourself an Android box, instead of moving your PC around, and install Kodi on it. Plenty of decent cricket streams on Kodi.

By the way, if you don't like Kodi, with such an Android box you can do the same as your pc to connect to websites.