Horizontal

hocuspocus

This is not meant to be a Thai bashing post as I am sure there are many Countries where the activities of the natives can be compared with Thailand. I have been observing my Thai wife's family in her village and in my house and they appear to have no ambition apart from eating and sleeping. They get up in the morning, spend 1 or 2 hours chopping vegetables and hammering away with the Pestle and Mortar (waking everybody up). Then they have a group feast, eating with their hands out of the same bowls, then they wash the pots and after that they find somewhere to lay horizontal (usually on the floor) and have a nap until it is time to start preparing for the next meal and so on and so on until it is time for bed. I usually have to step over bodies several times a day in my own house just to get on the sofa for a half an hour lay down after lunch. I may point out that I am about 10 years older than my in-laws who are laying around all day. I have had ambition in my life and I nearly always find something to do during the day but the Thais especially in the village seem to do just the bare minimum to survive. In one way I do not blame them as I would have not got out of bed in the UK when I was working age for such low pay as the Thais are expected to work for. What we are told is that there is a shortage of workers in Thailand but there must be many thousands (if not millions) of Thais living in the village situation who would work if the pay was a lot better instead of shipping in thousands of workers from surrounding Countries.

Of course, not all Thai's are like this... but, in certain regions the lack of ambition could be borne of lack of opportunity. 

Alternatively, some people could just be inherently lazy. 

Employers have perhaps worked out that some are so lazy they are not worth employing. It is unlikely they will 'work' if paid more, their pedestrian pace through life is ingrained in them and the local society in which they live.  

This seems to lead to a peaceful existence, but it would drive me insane with boredom. 

1 minute ago, juice777 said:

Where do they get there money from? They must have a Income from somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

They have a farm where the son does most of the work. I guess I forgot that the father sits by the river part of the day fishing and he makes catapults which take him about 3 hours to make and he sells them for 80 baht including elastic also he goes out at night collecting rats and frogs.They get no money from me and very little from my wife if anything.The father also wears out his hammock on a regular basis,

10 minutes ago, juice777 said:

Where do they get there money from? They must have a Income from somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I am not sure but I think they get 600 baht a month family allowance for their 12 year old daughter.

It's very inexpensive for farangs to live in Thailand. Why do you suppose that is?

Japan is a very expensive place to live and the people are very industrious. You don't suppose there's a connection?

For me, it's just Tuesday.