Thailand has no immediate plan to suspend Facebook, regulator says

webfact

2 minutes ago, fdch said:

i am all for it

when facebook is gone in thailand 

thai girls will loose the cell phone and they could be sexy and attractive again. 

big  turn of cellphone's and thai ladies

Sorry that was be4 2004 now we have KFC Big mac and sugary drinks so thing have changed for the worse.

PS this is about FB not playing with your banjo.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it has sunk in now that blocking Facebook won't block the news when the whole globe is talking and laughing about why Thailand's government wants to block certain Facebook pages. Perhaps they will roll with the news next time instead of creating it.

'

Facebook has said its general guideline on receiving government requests to remove content is to determine whether the material violates local laws before restricting access.

The fatal flaw in that approach by FB --  if they follow that guideline in Thailand -- is that the way Thailand's computer crimes and other laws are written, basically anything the government wants to declare as improper/illegal can be declared illegal, and of course that's not just limited to LM, but can encompass all kind of other issues like missing plaques, you name it...

Frankly, if they wanted to, the government could declare Facebook as an entity to be a threat to national security and demand/take action to try to cut off the platform inside the country. And who's going to argue that the government's wrong in doing that? And who would have the authority to tell the government, no, you've overstepped your legal authority. Simple answer, no one.  They can do as they wish, and there's basically no legal check in place to prevent that.

So in the end, Facebook can end up being told that pretty much anything under the sun here has been found to violate local laws and be handed court orders specifying that.

I just wish they'd go ahead and do it !

That would be a textbook example of 'doing the right thing for the wrong reasons'.

When I go on the MRT, walk in the street, roam around a mall ... and see thousands of people, especially the younger ones, walking around like zombies, totally absorbed in 'communicating' with virtual 'friends' while totally shutting themselves off  from the real  people around them, I can't help but think that Zuckerberg is the devil incarnate, the 21st century version of the Pied Piper of Hamelin ... and just like his ancestor, he goes for the kids first.

When I read comments on this Forum that lash out at Thais for being money oriented, I think of that guy (and so many other Western business 'geniuses' like Ray Kroc who founded Mc Donald) and how much irreparable harm he has already inflicted on his fellow human beings just for the sake of getting richer and richer. To all those who still think that Facebook (and friends) are a 'fabulous opportunity for humans to communicate', I strongly recommend reading 'The Circle' by Dave Eggers. The litterary quality of that book is somewhat debatable, certainly not on par with Orwell's '1984' but the idea, the story line, and some of the characters are blood curdling.

"National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission secretary-general Takorn Tanthasit said Tuesday his office had coordinated with the Ministry of Digital Economy and Society to have the court writs sent to Facebook Thailand so as to take down the 97 URLs."

It is pathetic that they keep acting as if Facebook's rep office in Thailand is a actually a full branch of FB USA.  It is only a rep office of a Facebook company in Ireland which may not even be an operating company.  Branch offices licences stopped being issued, except for banks and airlines, because foreign companies were using them as a way around the Alien Businss Act.  When I set up a rep office years ago I chose a dormant subsidiary registered in the UK with 100 quid paid-up capital to be its head office to avoid administrative hassles with any operational part of the group.  No questions were asked about this company or its relationship to the parent company when I applied for its alien business licence.  I think many other companies do the same thing.   All the NBTC needs to do is pull out the rep office's registrations documents to find out its status but they seem too idle to do that or just want to grandstand with the Thai media, as if there were any point in sending writs to the rep office of another company which has no responsibility for FB content and certainly no power to remove any of it.  

It is probably slowly dawning on them that FB is actually complying with their writs anyway but they have failed to obtain all the court orders that FB has told them many times they need to consider removing any content. If they go ahead and shut down FB's cache server and close their office or make FB not want to keep the office, they will have succeeded in removing any incentive for FB to continue complying with their writs.  If FB has to give up its hopes of making big bucks in Thailand, it will probably just have the operator put the Thai government through to a recorded message next time they call.   

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The fatal flaw in that approach by FB --  if they follow that guideline in Thailand -- is that the way Thailand's computer crimes and other laws are written, basically anything the government wants to declare as improper/illegal can be declared illegal, and of course that's not just limited to LM, but can encompass all kind of other issues like missing plaques, you name it...

Frankly, if they wanted to, the government could declare Facebook as an entity to be a threat to national security and demand/take action to try to cut off the platform inside the country. And who's going to argue that the government's wrong in doing that? And who would have the authority to tell the government, no, you've overstepped your legal authority. Simple answer, no one.  They can do as they wish, and there's basically no legal check in place to prevent that.

So in the end, Facebook can end up being told that pretty much anything under the sun here has been found to violate local laws and be handed court orders specifying that.

I remember that Youtube used to argue that it was only bound by US laws and could use its discretion to remove content that might violate local laws of other countries but didn't violate US law.  I am not sure what stance is taken by YouTube/ Google today but I assume they have moved towards the FB approach in the hope of raking in more foreign cash.

As a direct result of trying to shut down and/or sue facebook this news has gone to take 2 out of the top 5 spots on reddit. Extremely embarrassing for Thailand. Posts on reddit contain very embarrassing photos. 

Talk about backfiring.

If anyone in the government actually knew anything about buddhism they would have known about the concept "what you resist persists", if any of them didnt spend the last 20 years in an elite bubble, they would have heard about the streissand effect. 

What a bunch of fools.

3 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

...  If FB has to give up its hopes of making big bucks in Thailand, it will probably just have the operator put the Thai government through to a recorded message next time they call.   

Operators are standing by ... "One ringy-dingy, two ringy-dingies ..."

lily-tomlin operator.jpg

Edited by Damrongsak
add

ban face book? = political suicide and public revolte, this goverment would end in 24 hours

officialls would be tared and feathered by the people, and banned from thailand 

• 1 month later...