Expansion of ban on larger electronics on airlines likely - U.S.

webfact

Expansion of ban on larger electronics on airlines likely - U.S.

REUTERS

r2.jpg

An illustration picture shows a laptop on the screen of an X-ray security scanner, April 7, 2017. Picture taken April 7, 2017. REUTERS/Srdjan Zivulovic/Illustration

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Homeland Security chief John Kelly has not made a final decision on extending a ban on larger electronic devices on airplanes, but the department still believes an expansion is "likely," a spokesman said on Tuesday.

DHS spokesman David Lapan declined to offer guidance on when a decision on an expansion would be made but reiterated it was likely the restrictions would be expanded. He also said any expansion could affect international airports outside of Europe.

(Reporting by Julia Edwards Ainsley and David Shepardson; Editing by Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-05-17

1 minute ago, YetAnother said:

hmmm, this could be a real mess; what would business travelers do ? packing laptops in cargo doesnt seem a good option

If they are putting them in cargo that presumes they are being inspected more vigorously beforehand. Why not just have that inspection for carry-on ? I'm missing something here....a bomb in a laptop is still a bomb in the cargo hold or passenger compartment. So just intensify the screening for carry on baggage.

5 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

hmmm, this could be a real mess; what would business travelers do ? packing laptops in cargo doesnt seem a good option

Maybe go without the battery, and just use AC (obviously limits use on the plane to aircraft/CoS with in-seat power) once at the destination (hotel/office)?

With America charging for luggage on their domestic  routes, is this just the beginning for them to make more money on the international routes as well, and nothing to do with real security issues. Hmmmm.  If the laptops are going through check in just make sure that they work, have the travellers have them turned on so they can be checked. laptops in the baggage area are just asking for trouble.

Geezer

2 hours ago, tonray said:

If they are putting them in cargo that presumes they are being inspected more vigorously beforehand. Why not just have that inspection for carry-on ? I'm missing something here....a bomb in a laptop is still a bomb in the cargo hold or passenger compartment. So just intensify the screening for carry on baggage.

The airlines can disguise the method of screening your cargo baggage (out of sight of the passengers) that they don't want terrorist to know what unit they are using.

1 minute ago, sanukjim said:

The airlines can disguise the method of screening your cargo baggage (out of sight of the passengers) that they don't want terrorist to know what unit they are using.

EAsy enough....put laptop on conveyer....moves into secure room....scanned ......out on conveyer and out of secure room. 

3 hours ago, tonray said:

Huuummmm with a lot of lithium-ion batteries in cargo hold a flight to US will become really hazardous and dangerous

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/catastrophic-fires-reasons-the-laptop-ban-is-a-bad-idea/

Presumably this is the issue at the centre of Trump's disclosure to Russia the other day. It is said that he was specific about the nature of the threat, including the US city named as a likely target. If it's true then what's the delay? Implement the ban immediately ( and suffer the consequences if it turns out to have been exaggerated). 

Yes, it would be a pain to be without laptop/tablet but hardly the end of the world as we know it.

6 hours ago, rice555 said:

Any more so than in the passenger cabin?

rice555

in cabin fire can be spotted and could be fix by crew members.

In cargo hold... hummm you can begin to pray. There are no access from passenger cabin to cargo hold.

24 minutes ago, than said:

in cabin fire can be spotted and could be fix by crew members.

In cargo hold... hummm you can begin to pray. There are no access from passenger cabin to cargo hold.

There should be access to the cargo hold.   It would make for a good place to drag passengers who are unruly.

There are a lot of problems with computers in the hold, the biggest is the fact that there is a good chance of theft or damage.   When I travel, I need my laptop.   I don't need it in the cabin, but I do need it and the information on it to arrive safely.    Maybe the next rule should be no cash allowed in the cabin, it must be in your luggage.   

I do trust that the people in charge take security seriously, but I seriously wonder if this is the best way to go about it.   

I think the problem is that there is a credible threat about laptops concealing explosives and the current ban from countries in the Middle East is a stopgap measure. They are considering a wider ban but there is a problem banning out right carry on laptops as if they go in the cargo compartment there is possibility of fire.  In today's world business people travel with computers they use for work. Not having access in the cabin is one thing but chance of fire in the cargo hold is even a greater risk.  The security authorities are damned if they do and damned if they don't.  Any change in policy is going to be disliked.

Assuming this ban is expanded, a lot of us are hoping that those of us who are part of Trusted Traveler programs like Global Entry will be exempt.

Whether such an exemption might extend to flights not involving a U.S. departure or arrival obviously remains to be seen, assuming a larger ban is implemented.

I always take my laptop with me on trips to the US, manage the books, email, iBanking, etc.   Leave it here next time, buy an El Cheapo at Walmart (or whatever) and leave it in the US for next time.  One here, one there.

11 hours ago, Credo said:

1/There should be access to the cargo hold.   It would make for a good place to drag passengers who are unruly.

2/There are a lot of problems with computers in the hold, the biggest is the fact that there is a good chance of theft or damage.   When I travel, I need my laptop.   I don't need it in the cabin, but I do need it and the information on it to arrive safely.    Maybe the next rule should be no cash allowed in the cabin, it must be in your luggage.   

I do trust that the people in charge take security seriously, but I seriously wonder if this is the best way to go about it.   

1/ They should be......

2/ I'm agree, and with laptop in hold luggage, US authorities can easily access to your laptop without your consent.

What guarantees that US authorities do not inspect the contents of your laptop.

Inspection Notices: TSA may inspect your checked baggage during the screening process. If your property is physically inspected, TSA will place a notice of baggage inspection inside your bag. This is to inform you that an officer conducted an inspection of your property.

TSA notice found in luggage : 

"To protect you and other passengers, the law mandates the TSA to inspect each registered luggage. In the process, some baggage is opened and inspected manually "

more information on TSA website https://www.tsa.gov/travel/travel-tips

Edited by than