Moving province - some questions

Andrew Dwyer

Soon I will be moving provinces ( Pathum Thani to Phra Nakhon si Ayutthaya ), and would like some advice please .

1. TM28 & TM30

I understand I will have to present a TM28 at Ayutthaya IO but can I do the TM30 at the same time, and what is required ?

2. Thai driving license

I imagine I have to change address on my DL at Ayutthaya DLT, what documents do I need ?, DL, passport, residence certificate etc ?

3. Car license plate

As I lived in Pathum, bought the car in Rangsit with a Bangkok license plate I imagine this will not be necessary to change to Ayutthaya province plates ?

4. Bank Branch Office

As I lived in Pathum, opened a Bank account at Bangkok Bank in Rangsit ( Bangkok ) I imagine a move to Ayutthaya province will not need a Branch Office change ?

I never needed to visit Branch office after opening account anyway and will be only 38 km away

Anything I have forgotten ?

Tm 28 you do Tm30 your landlord however if landlord wont do it i belive you as the posseser of the house/condo can do it.

Driving licence justvwait till next renewal, they wouldnt change the address on mine when i moved told me to wait for renewal.

Car licence plates you dont need to change them most keep the bkk plates on, you can tax and compulsory insurance it at any DTO dont need to change plates to do this.

Bank pop into your local branch tell them you have moved they will open you a new account at there branch transfer the money over  give you a new card and book and close old account, but they will charge you for this amount  i changed from BKK pattaya to BKK khon Kaen  cost 300bht to open account and another hundred for new card remember to refuse the union pay card and insist on a visa they will say cant do! Ask them to ring head office that does the trick  had to wait 7 days for it to be sent from Bangkok mind but no biggie. Better to do it you may be charged for withdrawals in another province if you leave it where it is.

For 2), 3) and 4) I agree with post #2 of jeab1980.

Address change on DL: can wait.

License plates: no change needed.

Bank account: better "move" (aka close / reopen).

For 1) I really suggest you start a thread in the Thai visas forum.

26 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Bank account: better "move" (aka close / reopen).

Unless the OP knows that there will be no issues regarding opening an account at the new abode, I recommend retaining the old one. If the new local bank dicks around with requests for a WP or say 'wrong visa' for opening an account, the OP can still have full banking privileges as an existing customer albeit with some arbitrary charges (say 20 baht?) for 'non-local' transactions.

12 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Unless the OP knows that there will be no issues regarding opening an account at the new abode, I recommend retaining the old one. If the new local bank dicks around with requests for a WP or say 'wrong visa' for opening an account, the OP can still have full banking privileges as an existing customer albeit with some arbitrary charges (say 20 baht?) for 'non-local' transactions.

Another potential drawback of retaining an out of province bank account is the all important bank book can only be renewed at the branch that issued it. That's nothing that cannot be avoided by a bit of pre-planning though.

Unless the OP knows that there will be no issues regarding opening an account at the new abode, I recommend retaining the old one.

I do not disagree.

My "close / reopen" should have better been "open new / close old" in this order.

33 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Another potential drawback of retaining an out of province bank account is the all important bank book can only be renewed at the branch that issued it. That's nothing that cannot be avoided by a bit of pre-planning though.

And I should be more precise and say that the inconvenience of replacing the full bank book can be avoided with a bit of pre-planning. AFAIK, one cannot get a new bank book at any other branch.

They wont its simply a move from one branch to another they do it there and then no hassle they will want to see your passport to take a copy nothing else. If you leave it in the old province everytime you withdraw money from an ATM in new province you will be charged.

9 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

The consensus re: bank account seems to be;
Yes, open a new account at local branch, transfer existing funds, close original account.

Thanks guys.

Go into branch they do it you only need your old book and card along with passport.

Back on item #1 in the OP, as mentioned by Jeab, the TM30 is typically and legally the remit of the Landlord or home owner but self-filing as the property 'possessor' isn't unknown where Landlords or home-owners are either reluctant to file, living overseas or otherwise absent.

Regarding the TM28, there's been a bit of huffing and puffing about who should file this report and when. Yes, the law does say that it is the remit of the individual but experiences at Jomtien immigration have varied. Some have observed the big, new signage stating that it is a legal requirement and happily self-reported and been thanked for doing so. Others have found themselves or their spouses fined for not filing while doing some other immigration related procedure. Some suggest that they have been fined for not filing before when simply wishing to comply with the "big, new signage". However, I think that most are still flying under that particular radar as it appears once you have filed a TM28, you are in the system and you must keep it current which would be a chore is one was flitting about the country. Some with a condo in Pattaya and a second home up-country would need to keep on top of it.

I can only suggest seeking some information from other foreigners living under the OP's new immigration jurisdiction. We know that if there is anything consistent about Thailand, it is the inconsistency of the provincial immigration offices! That and the consistent inability to plant power poles vertically.

Edited by NanLaew

11 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

They wont its simply a move from one branch to another they do it there and then no hassle they will want to see your passport to take a copy nothing else. If you leave it in the old province everytime you withdraw money from an ATM in new province you will be charged.

Good to know. My bank accounts were opened ages ago when such common sense and fluidity was unknown and the request to move a bank account was met with the usual, 'cannot' and the recommendation to close it.

Edited by NanLaew

23 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

2. Thai driving license

I imagine I have to change address on my DL at Ayutthaya DLT, what documents do I need ?, DL, passport, residence certificate etc ?

3. Car license plate

As I lived in Pathum, bought the car in Rangsit with a Bangkok license plate I imagine this will not be necessary to change to Ayutthaya province plates ?

4. Bank Branch Office

As I lived in Pathum, opened a Bank account at Bangkok Bank in Rangsit ( Bangkok ) I imagine a move to Ayutthaya province will not need a Branch Office change ?

I never needed to visit Branch office after opening account anyway and will be only 38 km away

2. Personally I'd recommend you change your address for a number of reasons, namely sometimes your DL can be used as a form of ID and in the event of a serious accident the Police will be going to the wrong address to notify any kin. (Your address is on the reverse of your DL).

Existing Thai DL.

Passport + Copies of Homepage, TM6 and current Visa or Extension stamp.

Certificate of Residence.

Medical certificate requested at some DLT offices.

3. If for any reason the plates need to be changed the DLT office will advise you.

4. Open a new account at a local BKK and have your account transferred.

Failure to do so will mean you'll incur an out of Province charge when using your debit card for cash withdrawals in Ayutthaya.

You'd also have to go back to your registered branch for replacement passbooks and/or renewing any Fixed Term accounts you may have. A small inconvenience now, could save a larger inconvenience later.

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Back on item #1 in the OP, as mentioned by Jeab, the TM30 is typically and legally the remit of the Landlord or home owner but self-filing as the property 'possessor' isn't unknown where Landlords or home-owners are either reluctant to file, living overseas or otherwise absent.

Regarding the TM28, there's been a bit of huffing and puffing about who should file this report and when. Yes, the law does say that it is the remit of the individual but experiences at Jomtien immigration have varied. Some have observed the big, new signage stating that it is a legal requirement and happily self-reported and been thanked for doing so. Others have found themselves or their spouses fined for not filing while doing some other immigration related procedure. Some suggest that they have been fined for not filing before when simply wishing to comply with the "big, new signage". However, I think that most are still flying under that particular radar as it appears once you have filed a TM28, you are in the system and you must keep it current which would be a chore is one was flitting about the country. Some with a condo in Pattaya and a second home up-country would need to keep on top of it.

I can only suggest seeking some information from other foreigners living under the OP's new immigration jurisdiction. We know that if there is anything consistent about Thailand, it is the inconsistency of the provincial immigration offices! That and the consistent inability to plant power poles vertically.

A tm 28 is simply you telling immigration of a change of address. Once done unless you move you should never have to gile another one. Seems the headaches are the TM 30 supposedly every time you leave the country the house owner or you as the posseser  should go to immigration and declare an alien living at that address on a tm30. It really does depend on your immigration office. I have been out of the country many times and not been to immigration with a tm 30 (well the mrs). Was told when i asked about it once no need unless you change address, if you leave country and return to same address no problem dont need to do it. Where as other offices have said people have to. Best to ask at your office that way you can be certain.

A tm 28 is simply you telling immigration of a change of address. Once done unless you move you should never have to gile another one. Seems the headaches are the TM 30 supposedly every time you leave the country the house owner or you as the posseser  should go to immigration and declare an alien living at that address on a tm30. It really does depend on your immigration office. I have been out of the country many times and not been to immigration with a tm 30 (well the mrs). Was told when i asked about it once no need unless you change address, if you leave country and return to same address no problem dont need to do it. Where as other offices have said people have to. Best to ask at your office that way you can be certain.

Yeah, I filed a TM30 with Pathum IO last January, I left the country in Feb and did my 90 days report this week, nobody mentioned that I hadn't done another TM30 upon returning into Thailand, but I do understand that some IO have different rules ( or not adhere to the rules completely ).