Falling tree that killed motorcyclist: Bangkok criminal court rejects police call for arrest warrants for four company executives

webfact

Falling tree that killed motorcyclist: Bangkok criminal court rejects police call for arrest warrants for four company executives

5pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

BANGKOK: -- The Southern Bangkok criminal court has rejected arrest warrants for four executives of Alma Link wanted in connection with a tree outside their building that fell on power poles killing a female motorcyclist on Saturday.

Instead just a plain summons will be issued or the executives.

The tree fell on wires that killed 25 year old Natchaphat Somjet in Soi Chitlom on Saturday. Two other bikes were also affected but there was just one death, reported Daily News.

Lumpini police announced that the had prepared all witness statements and were seeing the arrest of the four executives.

However, this was downgraded to a summons as all four have fixed addresses.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-05-17

7 minutes ago, halloween said:

Executives are responsible for the tree outside their building??? And the local council isn't?

Depends if they tampered with the tree making it unsafe in any way ! in a normal country this would be determined by a Qualified Arborist which Thailand does neither have or know off !

I don't know if it's the case but in the news photos I saw, it looked more as though the tree had brought the power lines down and it was the concrete pole  holding the power lines that fell on the motorcyclist. On the news they had a squashed motocycle under a power pole.

In this country, when a calamity happened, strait away there will calls

for heads to roll and for scape goats, never looking at themselves, which

in most cases, this is where the responsibilities and  guilt lies, much easier

that way.....

32 minutes ago, cmsally said:

I don't know if it's the case but in the news photos I saw, it looked more as though the tree had brought the power lines down and it was the concrete pole  holding the power lines that fell on the motorcyclist. On the news they had a squashed motocycle under a power pole.

Sure but the "catalyst" was the falling tree.

1 hour ago, halloween said:

not by the photo above.

The tree definitely belonged to the building because that was my previous office, I know there very well.

The footpath on Soi Chidlom are very narrow.

If you saw the CCTV footage, the decease was hit by pole located about 300m from where the tree fell.

I would say MEA is partly resposible for not making the pole strong enough. 

Funny enough, MEA head office is located just opposite the street where tree fell.

trees fall down in the uk after high winds all the time as in most countries,. how stupid is this, how does one know when a tree is about to fall down, it's just an act of nature , a great shame about the deceased, so what they gonna do then chop down all the ###  trees in Thailand .this place getting more like CHINA every day

3 hours ago, Pui said:

Sure but the "catalyst" was the falling tree.

Surely the weather, wind and rain had caused the tree to weaken, causing it to fall onto the power lines, thus dragging a concrete power pole carrying electric cables, over and onto an unfortunate motorcyclist passing by.

. A chain of events ending in a small tragedy for someone.It happens everywhere, everyday.

Edited by ratcatcher

19 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

Surely the weather, wind and rain had caused the tree to weaken, causing it to fall onto the power lines, thus dragging a concrete power pole carrying electric cables, over and onto an unfortunate motorcyclist passing by.

. A chain of events ending in a small tragedy for someone.It happens everywhere, everyday.

More likely the amount of concrete poured and laid weakened the root system. Quite likely people heard the tree coming down (they tend to make a noise when they topple over) and had time to dodge it. What they wouldn't expect was a row of power poles to come down too, hence the accident. Actually it's a miracle more people have not been killed by these, some are sticking up at almost 45 degree angles !

5 hours ago, tracker1 said:

Depends if they tampered with the tree making it unsafe in any way ! in a normal country this would be determined by a Qualified Arborist which Thailand does neither have or know off !

They do have but I don't have a work permit! 

10 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

You have a link to the CCTV footage?

sorry it was posted on facebook but i cant find it now. basically the tree fell down on some power wires which pulled at least 2 power poles down. the guy on the motorbike was no where near the tree but was in exactly the wrong place when the power pole was pulled down on him.

The tree is on their compound, and it is their responsibility to ensure that it doesn't fall. Those that don't think so and complaining how stupid it is is applying double standards.  If it was your loved one hit by the tree, I'm sure you would want to hold someone responsible as well.

I'm amazed nobody came to check up on the motorcycle that fell.

14 hours ago, mike324 said:

I'm amazed nobody came to check up on the motorcycle that fell.

That was my thought when I saw it first on FB, I guess people were just to afraid to get an eletric shock. Nothing uncommen here.