webfact

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, fdch said:

UBER should be prosecuted in every country they operate

i admit the cabbies in Thailand are the worst in the world

but UBER  should be boycotted and banned everywhere

Uber specifically or similar companies as well? Why?

16 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The legality of UBER has been questioned numerous times on this thread. 

If I'm not mistaken, the answer, UBER are both legal and illegal....  the legality is dependent on the type of registration the vehicle holds.

UBERx for the most part are illegal (White number plate background, with black script / numbers), these are private vehicles and not registered to take fare paying passengers. 

UBER Black on the other hand are for the majority, legal (White number plate background, with green script / numbers), these are vehicles which are registered to take fare paying passengers. There are also a number of UBER Black vehicles for which it is not legal to take fare paying passengers (White number plate background, with black script / numbers).

Green text on white background means it's a pickup truck registered for carrying goods

Green background with white text is for limousine, usually only registered by hotels and airport limousine companies but that is only for travelling to and from airports / registered business ie: hotels which means technically they could only pickup passengers to go to airports/hotels but not pickup and take their passengers 'outside' and go somewhere else other than their own business or airports

It makes sense for the hotel limousine that's sitting idle most of the time to be on Uber Black, but even then the law is still not on their side, and most of the time I use Uber Black in Bangkok, it's just random guy in a black (private) plated Camry or the odd mercedez

23 hours ago, MekkOne said:

So why in Ubon Ratchatani there's no need to deal and the taxi driver just turns on the meter? Same in Udon, Rome, Peris, London, New York, Mexico City, Caracas, Lima, Rio de Janeiro, San Paolo, Lisbona..... I'm just writing some of the town were I did take a taxi without a discussion wit a filthy taxi driver....

Well put, true and honest and I agree with you

9 hours ago, MekkOne said:

problem is I'm speaking and reading Thai perfectly, as I do for English, Spanish, French, Italian and Portuguese... a con taxi driver is a filthy taxi driver period.

sent from the moon.

A good book to read is "How To Make Friends And Influence People" I do a lot of things perfectly to but I do not blow my horn. 

Uber, Taxi, Thug, Pat, Violence, farang ripoff, ladyboys, Prostitutes, corruption, flying cl;ub rubbish, the snatch, its never ending.

Ah the most wonderful tourist resort in the world, cant wait for my next visit.

Not in my lifetime, just hope I do not get reincarnated and have to live there.

Na I think I am safe as life you only get to live once

On 5/18/2017 at 2:17 PM, johng said:

What about McDonalds,KFC,Buger king,Piza Hut,Tesco,
Ford,Chevrolet,Google,Facebook and all those other "vile" foreign companies who invest and create jobs for Thailand kick them all out and everyone can go back to thier rice paddies ?

Whoa up..... I'm still gasping from the thought of kicking out the hooters.... I likes the hooters.... no more suggestions please ( unless we can all agree to keep those lovely hooters!)

On 2017-5-19 at 0:20 PM, MekkOne said:

problem is I'm speaking and reading Thai perfectly, as I do for English, Spanish, French, Italian and Portuguese... a con taxi driver is a filthy taxi driver period.

sent from the moon.

I'm sure you'll be able to find a bilingual forum somewhere, instead of mixing with us mere mortals on the TV forum.  How boring for you.

19 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

Uber, Taxi, Thug, Pat, Violence, farang ripoff, ladyboys, Prostitutes, corruption, flying cl;ub rubbish, the snatch, its never ending.

Ah the most wonderful tourist resort in the world, cant wait for my next visit.

Not in my lifetime, just hope I do not get reincarnated and have to live there.

Na I think I am safe as life you only get to live once

Get out of the tourist traps and you will find a whole new Thailand. 

2 minutes ago, ericthai said:

True, but then again being outside of the tourist traps is super-boring if you don't speak any Thai.

what punishment was dealt to the passenger?

or did he/she run away, whilst in fear of  the animals.

if passenger did scarper, there would not be any evidence.

if a taxi driver videoed the passnger, all the Uber had to say was that the passenger was his GF/BF, who ran away - in fear of the animals

3 minutes ago, ericthai said:

absolutely.

make some thai friends beyond the, probably, low class low educated females most foreigners hang out with.

my friends are thai, male and female, single and married (to foreigners and other thais), educated (many with master degrees from western countries), professional middles class people. try it and you will understand a whole lot more about thailand.

4 hours ago, samsensam said:

absolutely.

make some thai friends beyond the, probably, low class low educated females most foreigners hang out with.

my friends are thai, male and female, single and married (to foreigners and other thais), educated (many with master degrees from western countries), professional middles class people. try it and you will understand a whole lot more about thailand.

You joking? Then you'd have to learn the language and actually make an effort understanding the culture. Silly boy!

On 18/05/2017 at 10:42 PM, MartinBangkok said:

Grab Taxi in Pattaya seems to be controlled by the local taxi mafia. That was my experience last week. They lied about their location and waiting time, and when I finally decided on one (speaking on the phone) he asked me to give the phone to the hotel security guy. The security guy than informed me that the driver wanted 1500 Baht, not the 1200 Baht we had agreed on 20 seconds earlier. I hung up the phone, blocked the guys number, downloaded the Uber app, and within 15 minutes I was safely on my way to Bangkok (1300 Baht).

exactly what I think too.

Astonishing that the GRAB HQ in Singapore is not doing anything about it

On 18/05/2017 at 0:32 PM, AndyOz said:

What are the rates charged by UBER drivers?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

from my Condo to Pattaya North Bus station it was usually 100-110 Baht, that is  - including unavoidable U-Turns - about a 3 KM ride. In many cases, I just paid 25-30 Baht, as there was a PROMO running, where 75 Baht would automatically be deducted from the fare. Such Promos are frequent, just log into your UBER account and they may pop-up immedatiely

Why am I having hard time understanding this?

Is Uber LEGAL in Pattaya(for pick-ups and drop-offs) and regular taxi operators just can't handle the competition?

or

Uber CAN ONLY drop passengers off that were picked up from outside Pattaya city limits and

CAN NOT do pickups

or

Uber legally can not EVEN ENTER Pattaya city limits, with or without passengers.

Someone who has knowledge of this, please enlighten me.

I am seriously confused.

Because someone will seriously get hurt if this boxing-in Uber cars continues as some of these members of the "taxi mafia" aren't scared or intimidated by the police or even being jailed when it comes to honor and feeding their family.

1 hour ago, pattayadude said:

Is Uber LEGAL in Pattaya(for pick-ups and drop-offs) and regular taxi operators just can't handle the competition?

or

Uber CAN ONLY drop passengers off that were picked up from outside Pattaya city limits and

CAN NOT do pickups

or

Uber legally can not EVEN ENTER Pattaya city limits, with or without passengers.

I am seriously confused.

Because someone will seriously get hurt if this boxing-in Uber cars continues as some of these members of the "taxi mafia" aren't scared or intimidated by the police or even being jailed when it comes to honor and feeding their family.

Lets just put it this way: The situation in one complete mess. There are too many taxis of all colors  and its only getting worse by the day.

My missus with 4 children under 8 & all Thai were asked for 500THB from central to Prat soi 5 last week.

She told them to do one & got a songthaew down the Beach Rd & a sherbert from there.

Cab driver was indifferent it seems to race or age or even a woman alone with children.

Class act.

On 5/18/2017 at 11:52 AM, THAILIBAN said:

what an utter nonsense !

The law clearly states that the meter has to be used. There is no different law in Pattaya and Bangkok. In Pattaya. It is the law of the MAFIA and some hidden VIP-politicians or BIB who benefit from the system only

a primitiveness inherent in thainess;  their own social hangover

On 5/23/2017 at 7:56 PM, YetAnother said:

a primitiveness inherent in thainess;  their own social hangover

Ice age.the survival of the fittest and natural selection. as a result,those who are unfit are eliminated in the struggle for existence.

Next topic please.

On 21/5/2560 at 1:18 PM, pattayadude said:

or

CAN NOT do pickups

or

I am seriously confused.

There are a lot of things that seems to be available and even advertised openly in Thailand but is yet 'illegal' and discussion of such activities in this forum is not even allowed.

Operating a vehicle for hire without an appropriate licence/registration and insurance to do so is illegal period.

Uber would probably claim that there is no such thing as an 'uber car' only independent drivers and passengers using the Uber app to 'find each other' yet is uber that sets the price and take the cuts for using their services, heck they'll even pay 'their' driver fines if the driver is caught and fined by the Land Transport office... is that clear enough about their legality for you?

16 hours ago, digbeth said:

There are a lot of things that seems to be available and even advertised openly in Thailand but is yet 'illegal' and discussion of such activities in this forum is not even allowed.

Operating a vehicle for hire without an appropriate licence/registration and insurance to do so is illegal period.

Uber would probably claim that there is no such thing as an 'uber car' only independent drivers and passengers using the Uber app to 'find each other' yet is uber that sets the price and take the cuts for using their services, heck they'll even pay 'their' driver fines if the driver is caught and fined by the Land Transport office... is that clear enough about their legality for you?

so in a nut shell, Uber IS legal  i.e. in the USA, England, France, Japan but illegal in Thailand.

Then how come  It's widely used in Bangkok?

It is still illegal but more "tolerated" then...

as I understand, it operates in  Bkk without such problems like in Pattaya.

1 hour ago, pattayadude said:

so in a nut shell, Uber IS legal  i.e. in the USA, England, France, Japan but illegal in Thailand.

Then how come  It's widely used in Bangkok?

It is still illegal but more "tolerated" then...

as I understand, it operates in  Bkk without such problems like in Pattaya.

The drivers are fined in Bangkok all the time, it's just that there's no singular big mafia taxi taking vigilante action like in Pattaya or Chiang Mai

A lot of things that is 'illegal' operate without problem in Thailand, 

grabtaxi is going to kill the taxi mafia in pattaya which in part controlled by police more an more visitors i meet are switched on to this app example of the difference can get a car 110b central festival to pratamnak a mafia songtao is looking 300b

it will be harder to break the phunket and samui mafia's

Archived