Taxi drivers chase foreigner out of Uber taxi in Pattaya

webfact

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, AndyOz said:

I do have some sympathy with the Taxi drivers. Uber has depended on your view either revolutionised or destroyed the taxi industry wherever it plies its trade.
Whatever your opinion the drivers end up much worse off. I think the balance in Pattaya now is pretty good. The number of baht busses has been greatly reduced, routes and prices are clearly defined If you want to hire a taxi the rules are the same as anywhere else in the world, agree a price you are both happy with before you start your journey.
I understand things could be better and the yellow taxis should have meters that are working all the time.
On the whole I think Pattaya does a pretty good job with their taxis. Keep things the same.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

The meters are really working they just dont want to use them and say it's broke.  Guess you never been dropped off on the side of the road because half way through the ride the diver decided to increase the price. 

It seems the virus becomes more agressive by being farang in contact. Hopefully there will be a vaccin available for this kind of disease in future and will make a safest environment for farang and Thai both. 

The legality of UBER has been questioned numerous times on this thread. 

If I'm not mistaken, the answer, UBER are both legal and illegal....  the legality is dependent on the type of registration the vehicle holds.

UBERx for the most part are illegal (White number plate background, with black script / numbers), these are private vehicles and not registered to take fare paying passengers. 

UBER Black on the other hand are for the majority, legal (White number plate background, with green script / numbers), these are vehicles which are registered to take fare paying passengers. There are also a number of UBER Black vehicles for which it is not legal to take fare paying passengers (White number plate background, with black script / numbers).

As I understand it, the legality also considers the insurance coverage of the vehicle to carry fare paying passengers. 

Thus: Its not quite 'black and white' or... 'black and green' in this case. That said, in comparison, many of the taxi's are not correctly insured (I've had an accident with an uninsured Taxi and assume many are not insured), also many of the drivers are not the same person indicated on the interior license plate. 

If Taxi's were all fully legal and followed professional practices I would be in full support of them. Experience has taught me that this is most definitely not the case.

The Taxi drivers have made their bed, the public are becoming exasperated with the behavior and attitudes of taxi drivers in Thailand (and it seems a number of other countries too, which is where UBER have stepped in). The pubic have become exasperated with the taxi drivers sense of entitlement, their petulance and in many cases criminal (or at the least illegal) behavior,  the public in growing numbers are showing support towards an alternative... UBER in Thailand are simply providing this alternative, as are All Thai Taxi (in Bkk) but their numbers are not many and they fail to provide sufficient competition, their 'app booking systems' remain flawed for they are rarely available to the point many forget all about All Thai Taxi.

GRABTaxi could be an excellent alternative, I have positive feelings regarding duel accountability (both driver and passenger are registered in the app which offers some form of accountability), however, the many times I have used GRAB Taxi a regular taxi turns up, which often means its in a poor state of repair, no seat-belts in the back and a driver with an attitude that he is entitled to my custom and I should be privileged to sit in his car rather than one of mutual respect in the meeting of a double coincidence of want (the driver respectfully provides a service which I respectfully pay for according to metered rates).

I think all of the issues with Taxi's in Thailand comes down to the attitudes of the drivers and their sense of entitlement which may stem in some part from a desperation to make ends meet. But in aggregate their attitudes do little to garner support of the general public. All they need to do is turn over a new leaf and take pride in and value their service, however, the re-education of a whole industry seems a little too much to ask.

UBER are paying the fines for the drivers, That's what one of the drivers told me. If the police keep his drivers license its a bigger issue perhaps.  

18 hours ago, BigBadGeordie said:

But it appears that being a vigilante thug is not.

And being a member of a local "mafia" exempts you from charges and bringing the "country into disrepute and damaging tourism".

Agreed,

Thai taxis want the monopoly as in many other companies, Uber will never get Thai registration in a million years.
They just cannot accept any kind of competition that might give them a run for their money or maybe even make them provide a real service for the customer.

They want to continue their reign of terror on the streets, charging what they like, abusing who they like doing what the hell they like;

Run by mafia, protected by the mafia...  protectionism at it's worst, street level & government level.

Best to never take a real taxi ... ever!  I will always go out if NappyHolidays.com way to choose an Uber over a taxi even if I have to wait longer or pay more. The service is just 100% better! Hopefully they all go out of business and all we have left are Uber and Lyft and others. Taxis are inefficient criminals and hopefully soon will all be looking for new jobs.

This shit goes on and on,the taxi drivers in Patia are without a doubt just a bunch of lazy pricks,corrupt to the bone and we all know it.Ok but why should a stranger be treated like this?Not everyone would know that the taxi is illegal.Answer me one question.How many taxi drivers in Patia are legal.??I can answer for you one and all.NONE.Its the farangs that keep the lazy pricks called Taxi drivers in business,without us they would all be on the breadline,so dont hide and back these dirty scumbags up they are what we all know they are shithouses.Cowards,drunkards,and women beaters .But as per usual never alone,thai way, a group that will attack and beat up old defensless pensioners without a second glance.The quicker Thailand realises this the better this country will be without these lazy cowards,they are number one that gives this nice country the bad name ALWAYS.

5 minutes ago, paddyjoe41 said:

This shit goes on and on,the taxi drivers in Patia are without a doubt just a bunch of lazy pricks,corrupt to the bone and we all know it.Ok but why should a stranger be treated like this?Not everyone would know that the taxi is illegal.Answer me one question.How many taxi drivers in Patia are legal.??I can answer for you one and all.NONE.Its the farangs that keep the lazy pricks called Taxi drivers in business,without us they would all be on the breadline,so dont hide and back these dirty scumbags up they are what we all know they are shithouses.Cowards,drunkards,and women beaters .But as per usual never alone,thai way, a group that will attack and beat up old defensless pensioners without a second glance.The quicker Thailand realises this the better this country will be without these lazy cowards,they are number one that gives this nice country the bad name ALWAYS.

Your post will probably get deleted for language but I do understand your frustration. Do yourself a favour and install the app. Word will spread quickly (did already and I do my part) and the thugs will be out of business in less than a year. Mafia taxis are already driving around empty >90% of the time. Don't think they can handle much more.

Just now, wump said:

Your post will probably get deleted for language but I do understand your frustration. Do yourself a favour and install the app. Word will spread quickly (did already and I do my part) and the thugs will be out of business in less than a year. Mafia taxis are already driving around empty >90% of the time. Don't think they can handle much more.

It should not be deleted.He is right! If people don't raise their voices and use "stronger" language, these scumbags are gonna get away with murder..literally!

Don't know... been here for a long time and never got scammed in bars. The only time I got scammed was pretty openly in the whisky shop near the Shell service station. She shows me the calculator @ 1,597 Baht, I ask for a check bill because I wanted to know how much my buddy's beer was et voila, comes down to 1380 Baht. Pretty cheeky.

15 hours ago, MekkOne said:

So why in Ubon Ratchatani there's no need to deal and the taxi driver just turns on the meter? Same in Udon, Rome, Peris, London, New York, Mexico City, Caracas, Lima, Rio de Janeiro, San Paolo, Lisbona..... I'm just writing some of the town were I did take a taxi without a discussion wit a filthy taxi driver....

Just because he wants to cheat you or is not going your way or does not understand your language does not make him filthy. He might have had a shower that morning you don't know. 

Just because he wants to cheat you or is not going your way or does not understand your language does not make him filthy. He might have had a shower that morning you don't know. 

problem is I'm speaking and reading Thai perfectly, as I do for English, Spanish, French, Italian and Portuguese... a con taxi driver is a filthy taxi driver period.

sent from the moon.

1 minute ago, MekkOne said:

problem is I'm speaking and reading Thai perfectly, as I do for English, Spanish, French, Italian and Portuguese... a con taxi driver is a filthy taxi driver period.

sent from the moon.

Impressed with the first part of your answer but the second part comes off a bit lame. 

This story makes me ask, who are the Influential People behind the Taxi Business in Pattaya?

Who is making the rules governing commercial (people carrier) transportation?

Seems someone wants less competition, at any cost?

Fewer Baht buses on the streets, dealing with more regulations?

Illegal Uber Drivers?

Vigilante tax drivers (with protection)?

Where is free enterprise?

On 5/18/2017 at 10:18 AM, geriatrickid said:

He was engaged in an illegal commercial activity.  Uber is not a legal operation in Thailand.

UBER should be prosecuted in every country they operate

i admit the cabbies in Thailand are the worst in the world

but UBER  should be boycotted and banned everywhere

Archived