60 supercars seized in tax evasion probe

snoop1130

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, JerryinTH said:

Where did you read that? 

110 local officials involved in the raid or in the 'assumed' tax evasion racket? 

From the "other" paper.

Dusadee Arayawut, deputy permanent secretary for justice, said the importer of the cars also sells them, and 110 government officials at operational and executive levels were suspected of colluding in the alleged offences

14 hours ago, USPatriot said:

I thought customs inspected the,cars and then taxes are paid before the cars are released.

I want the lotus Elise is it possible to get it for the taxes owed

Most of these cars are unloaded at night while the port inspectors and guards are paid to look elsewhere during this time.Then at the car showroom the buyer is sold a car with false papers (sometimes knowingly) and being a higher up the owner will probably never get questioned about his car.Once again this is actually a military ordered probe and not the police as they and the Bangkok government officials have already been paid and it is the military showing who is really in charge.

2 hours ago, Beats56 said:

And where can you drive it to its full potential.

Id drive it on one of the race tracks that are scattered around Thailand.

Truck it up to Chang Circuit in Buriram then fly in for the weekend and belt it around the track sound like an awesome weekend away !

2 hours ago, Beats56 said:

Wouldnt  want one here in Thailand. If it's doesn't get stolen you get scratches and dents or some jealous ahole keying it. And where can you drive it to its full potential. It's just a status symbol. Hey look at me.

Thais are not known to key or dent your car on purpose in thailand, that happens more in the West. In fact Thailand is a good place to drive it if you are willing to break the speeding law - I mean nobody enforces to begin with. There are lots of highway that stretches for over 20km where you can let the cars run. Race tracks are only 1-2 hr drive away from bangkok and relatively cheap to rent out.

Supercars are a status symbol everywhere in the world. Its just not a car meant to be driven daily in Bangkok.

I suggest they reduce the taxes on these cars to make them more affordable for the masses, who don't have contacts in customs! :shock1:

This "scam" has been going on for many years, 20 years ago when I lived in a condo in Bangkok one of my "neighbors" had about 10 "supercars, he used to loan car of choice to his guests that stayed at his hotel, they all used the same license plate!

Edited by CGW

The 'fake' papers is a common 'trade'. I have experienced first hand with a Porsche 911 that was declared as Cayman. This was from a second hand dealer, not a well known super car dealer like in the headlines here. What I know from friends they had the same 'issue' when buying a McLaren 650s and on the paper it says Mclaren 12-C.. to save a few baht... thats pretty common. 

59 minutes ago, sanukjim said:

Most of these cars are unloaded at night while the port inspectors and guards are paid to look elsewhere during this time.Then at the car showroom the buyer is sold a car with false papers (sometimes knowingly) and being a higher up the owner will probably never get questioned about his car.Once again this is actually a military ordered probe and not the police as they and the Bangkok government officials have already been paid and it is the military showing who is really in charge.

The authorities 110 involved (ranging from customs to transport department) issues the documents to the dealer with the dealer not paying the full tax amount, while the papers are still official real papers. This is my guess in regards to this dealer. Other grey market dealer often use wrong car model number / different engine to register the car.

Edited by mike324

Just now, mike324 said:

The authorities 110 involved (ranging from customs to transport department) issues the documents to the dealer with the dealer not paying the full tax amount, while the papers are still official real papers. This is my guess.

One car is regularly declared and five identical untaxed vehicles are then equipped with the same vehicle papers.
At an import tax of 200%, a worthwhile business.

8 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

One car is regularly declared and five identical untaxed vehicles are then equipped with the same vehicle papers.
At an import tax of 200%, a worthwhile business.

That may not work because the papers have chassis numbers and would raise a red flag in the system when you go register or renew your plates. 

3 hours ago, Beats56 said:

Wouldnt  want one here in Thailand. If it's doesn't get stolen you get scratches and dents or some jealous ahole keying it. And where can you drive it to its full potential. It's just a status symbol. Hey look at me.

Agree with you there.

Buddy of mine had to turn down several trips to Sukhumvit area because he didnt dare park his Porsche at an unguarded spot. 

And he only drove his Lambo to school on Saturdays simply because with traffic jams he would spend about 1,000 baht on gas alone.

Luckily he also drove a Bentley with better fuel economy...

1 minute ago, mike324 said:

That may not work because the papers have chassis numbers and would raise a red flag in the system when you go register or renew your plates. 

Think as a supercar customer you do not go to the traffic office by yourself.
The signing and the paper work is done by the car dealership.

Kind of a Tip Toe Through The Tulips operation?? The owner of this business seems to be a bit of a Hi-So. I am surprised he did not get a gold edged invitation to pay a visit to the closest police station for a consultation. As someone mentioned he was out of the country at the time as well. Would there be something in the timing of this operation??

3 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

Think as a supercar customer you do not go to the traffic office by yourself.
The signing and the paper work is done by the car dealership.

true you are correct, this is how the dealership will dupe their customer.  As a customer you won't really find out until you need to bring your car to the transport department to get it checked up after something like 7-8 years. Or that the insurance finds out your chassis number does not match your registration.

13 minutes ago, mike324 said:

true you are correct, this is how the dealership will dupe their customer.  As a customer you won't really find out until you need to bring your car to the transport department to get it checked up after something like 7-8 years. Or that the insurance finds out your chassis number does not match your registration.

Most don't dupe them - they are well aware of it, if the car is suddenly 5-10m baht cheaper.. 

11 hours ago, mikebell said:

110 local officials are reported as being involved in this scam!  One hundred and ten!  How long will it take to get even one into court?  Will any of them lose their jobs/pensions/savings?

I am trying to think outside the box here.

Why should a luxury car importer actually import the cars if there was a risk to losing the lot?

The only answer I can think of is that he didn't think there was a risk of forfeiture. Someone has bubbled this scheme. Perhaps an official wanted more! Fancy a lambo!!

And this is a problem when so many are licking the gravy. 110!!!! wow!!

Being the owner of a supercar must be very expensive as the roads kill the everyday car with pot holes everywhere. Just a year on a Honda civic and the front struts and rear shocks where out. When you drive on the roads and see the pick-ups bouncing as they do again struts have gone.

Supercars are not made for roads like these, so the only reason they are here is

Hey look at me

But where does the money come from to buy supercars? as most of the nation does not even pay income tax.

It has to come from corruption and with 40 lambos lying around, there must be a lot of corruption as I doubt there is that many in the UK or even the factory.

Mind you supercars get stolen and shipped to far off countries do they not?

Edited by wakeupplease

3 minutes ago, wakeupplease said:

Being the owner of a supercar must be very expensive as the roads kill the everyday car with pot holes everywhere. Just a year on a Honda civic and the front struts and rear shocks where out. When you drive on the roads and see the pick-ups bouncing as they do again struts have gone.

Supercars are not made for roads like these, so the only reason they are here is

Hey look at me

But where does the money come from to buy supercars? as most of the nation does not even pay income tax.

It has to come from corruption and with 40 lambos lying around, there must be a lot of corruption as I doubt there is that many in the UK or even the factory.

Mind you supercars get stolen and shipped to far off countries do they not?

The cars are not laying around. They are in a dealership, just like they are at BMW, Benz, Honda and every other in Thailand. 

Niche Cars advertised a few cars on Facebook as usual in the last 24 hours, so it looks like business as usual. 

1 minute ago, JerryinTH said:

The cars are not laying around. They are in a dealership, just like they are at BMW, Benz, Honda and every other in Thailand. 

Niche Cars advertised a few cars on Facebook as usual in the last 24 hours, so it looks like business as usual. 

The phrase Laying around in English

Could mean a lot of things

But in this case they are laying around in a garage or dealership and as they are not being used they are stationary thus doing nothing but waiting for a new owner thus Laying around looking pretty.

Hope that helps

Ps in most countries used cars are loosing money by the second,  cars devalue in the UK by over 35% in the first year, here maybe not. Check what you have to pay for a £70k car 1 year after purchase, you will cry at the depreciation.

Niche cars eh!! Niche market too!! I fancy a Mitzi Evo. What would the village locals make of it? I wouldn't even take it out for a spin. Just look at it every morning and wash it every Sunday. Show and bull----! Yes I'm learning the ways of Amazing Thailand all right.

10 minutes ago, wakeupplease said:

But in this case they are laying around in a garage or dealership and as they are not being used they are stationary thus doing nothing but waiting for a new owner thus Laying around looking pretty.

And I would start it up every Saturday. Behave like a 'big cheese' or a stoosh dude.

15 hours ago, ezzra said:

Yes they do, but since the whole thing is not on the up and up level,

the custom doesn't guarantee that you'll not going to have issues

down the line with other agencies...

I'm going to start saving for one of those Lambos when they come

up for auction soon......

And when you raise your hand the first time some nice man comes and sits beside you and insists it is in your best interest to not bid again because......

31 minutes ago, DepDavid said:

And when you raise your hand the first time some nice man comes and sits beside you and insists it is in your best interest to not bid again because......

He must be a very very nice man to help you not waste your money on a car that will cost you a fortune to repair after a short dive on the roads around here. Very nice man then. ps does he where Brown? with a slight wift of that aftershave corruption

It was an inside job. Another importer is hungry for the Lamborghini brand. Just like what happened to Maserati in Thailand. A lot of pissed off super car owners will be looking for revenge including government officials who also own those illegal gifted imports. I guess time in a Chinese jail for accidental gun smuggling a couple years ago wasn't enough for the owner's son?

9 hours ago, tomyummer said:

It was an inside job. Another importer is hungry for the Lamborghini brand. Just like what happened to Maserati in Thailand. A lot of pissed off super car owners will be looking for revenge including government officials who also own those illegal gifted imports. I guess time in a Chinese jail for accidental gun smuggling a couple years ago wasn't enough for the owner's son?

Tell us more please.