Four taxi drivers face detention charge for their seizure of Uber car in Pattaya

snoop1130

Four taxi drivers face detention charge for their seizure of Uber car in Pattaya

By The Nation

f0d8cba0b86c158e848e07deda3e059a-sld.jpeg

Four taxi drivers in Pattaya who surrounded an Uber car on Wednesday afternoon and forced a Western passenger out of the vehicle were charged with illegal detention and threatening others, Provicial Police Region 2 chief Pol Lt-General Jitti Rodbangyang told the press on Thursday.

The four accused taxi drivers, Chalor Phumphetch, 39, Supakit Thongploem, 42, Pramote Wattanasiri, 29, and Krit Saengsuwan, 42, have declared that they did not do anything wrong.

The Uber driver, Surasak Khukham, 29, had filed a complaint at the Pattaya Police Station at 11pm on Wednesday. Surasak also played a video clip showing his car being surrounded by five or six taxis on Pattaya 2 Road in North Pattaya in the Bang Lamung district of Chon Buri. Surasak said the Western tourist was terrified as the taxi was besieged. 

Surasak was fined Bt1,000 for misusing his vehicle and his driving licence was confiscated by police. Uber services are illegal in Thailand.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30315625

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-5-18

8 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

The four accused taxi drivers, Chalor Phumphetch, 39, Supakit Thongploem, 42, Pramote Wattanasiri, 29, and Krit Saengsuwan, 42, have declared that they did not do anything wrong.

Which shows exactly how stupid they all are. They took the law into their own hands, which quite simply is wrong, regardless of whatever provocation. Case proven.

Enjoy your holiday in Nong Plalai chaps.

They surrounded a Uber car  and forced a Uber westerner paying passenger out of the Uber car although Uber is Illegal in Thailand ! so it wasn't a Uber car it was impersonating a Uber car and Uber driver with a Uber passenger oh confusing Hmmmm

uber being illegal is neither here nor there if the police and authorities are too incompetent, corrupt or lazy to do anything about it. there's been an uber driver sign up stall at my local tesco lotus in bkk for months.

thais often feel they have to resolve issues themselves because, as above, the police and authorities are too incompetent, corrupt or lazy to protect and serve the people.

1 hour ago, tracker1 said:

They surrounded a Uber car  and forced a Uber westerner paying passenger out of the Uber car although Uber is Illegal in Thailand ! so it wasn't a Uber car it was impersonating a Uber car and Uber driver with a Uber passenger oh confusing Hmmmm

Is not a Meter Taxi refusing to use a meter illegal too...

No way do I feel sorry for Pattaya Meter Taxi drivers and operators. :biggrin:

55 minutes ago, Basil B said:

How can any consumer feel sorry for a price fixing cartel?

"Four taxi drivers face detention charge for their seizure of Uber car in Pattaya"

Very surprised the police do the right thing, did not expect this

"The four accused taxi drivers, . . . , have declared that they did not do anything wrong."

shows even more how correct this police action is 

Give them the opportunity to be educated while in prison

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

.......have declared that they did not do anything wrong.

Sort of like the reception the metered taxi's got from the Baht Bus mafia when they first got to town, until the then current mayor stepped in

Karma is a bitch 

11 hours ago, tracker1 said:

Not really confusing......they surrounded a private car and forced a westerner out of the private car and that's illegal in Thailand. 

I used  Grabtaxi serivce in Malaysia , nice clean  cars , polite drivers .

On the way to KL I got a taxi from Ekemai  Station to my  Sukumvit hotel  - a filthy old  ( springless) Datsun and he dropped me off 200 metres away - said  "road closed ' .

It is going to be very interesting to see  how this all pans out .

16 hours ago, samsensam said:

uber being illegal is neither here nor there if the police and authorities are too incompetent, corrupt or lazy to do anything about it. there's been an uber driver sign up stall at my local tesco lotus in bkk for months.

thais often feel they have to resolve issues themselves because, as above, the police and authorities are too incompetent, corrupt or lazy to protect and serve the people.

ye gods yet another excuse to do some thai bashing!

All over the world similar protests have occurred when the non tax paying and non compliant interloper uber move in.

Are these other nations people doing the wrong thing sorting things out for themselves.

If people didnt protest we'd still have children climbing up chimneys or leading pit ponies around mine shafts.

Uber and their like are despicable corporate leaches.

1 hour ago, Fulwell53 said:

ye gods yet another excuse to do some thai bashing!

All over the world similar protests have occurred when the non tax paying and non compliant interloper uber move in.

Are these other nations people doing the wrong thing sorting things out for themselves.

If people didnt protest we'd still have children climbing up chimneys or leading pit ponies around mine shafts.

Uber and their like are despicable corporate leaches.

No-one wrote that this only happens in Thailand. Thailand is the subject here because this is a forum about Thailand.

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Surasak was fined Bt1,000 for misusing his vehicle and his driving licence was confiscated by police.

Weren't the taxi mafiosi misusing theirs?

Wonder what it will be for them? Probably B200 and don't do it again.

18 hours ago, Basil B said:

there is no such thing as meter taxi's in pattaya... all taxi's in pattaya start off at 200 baht.

On 5/18/2017 at 7:30 PM, darksidedog said:

Which shows exactly how stupid they all are. They took the law into their own hands, which quite simply is wrong, regardless of whatever provocation. Case proven.

Enjoy your holiday in Nong Plalai chaps.

Sadly, it'll never happen.  These taxi drivers have been so widely reviled, I'm surprised there are any left on the planet that are so ignorant and uninformed that they actually use them.  Are these thugs actually making a living?  'Hope not.

if Uber is illegal, it's the police who should be dealing with it, not these thugs.  Is it ok for passengers to take matters into THEIR own hands when these pigs break the law and refuse to use ther meters? One of these days these ugly little punks are going to pick the wrong target, and there'll be hell to pay...

On 5/18/2017 at 7:14 PM, snoop1130 said:

In short, they can suspect EVERYONE to be a UBER driver, identified or not.... be or NOT to be......

Lock em up and throw away the key - somebody has to get this corrupt place under control. 

Pattaya's taxi mafia, protected by literally everybody, fight against their Bangkok brethren, Grab and Uber who all provide a MUCH better service (i.e. running the fare meter to start with) and a fraction of the costs. 

Thailand - quo vadis? 

Doesn't public (taxi) driving licence require a police criminal background check? does being held in a 'detention' counts as being charge and found guilty? Would these drivers be bought before a judge and sentenced or does the police have powers to arbitrarily detain someone? 

Seems like the headline were misconstrued from the fact that the taxi drivers were fined for being guilty of 'illegally detaining other people' ie:the uber drivers and his fare, and the taxi drivers only got off with a fine, no actual detention.

Otherwise they should lose their licence for life if they were guilty of criminal charge