Bar visa chat (you have been warned ;) ) , questions...

I will freely admit to not knowing the ins & outs (kinda literally there) of the various visa requirements for Thailand as I'm quite happy with the one I have.

However, following on from a couple of geezas rambling on at a bar I was wondering if there was any truth in the following claims?

1) "If you want a non-'O' visa (I think he was refering to a married-to-thai application) but don't have/can't prove the dosh (400K THB or 40K/m THB) you can BUY same for a one off payment of 45K THB.

2) "You can have a visa exempt entry, extend that by 30 days and then reset it by a one day air trip across the border, i.e. 30 days exempt again AND extend for 30 days again, ad infinitum"

I doubted their claims but shot down. Without knowing for sure I left it there.

True, half true or total dangly bits?

Re the 45k i have heard the same but not for a non o based on marriage which only cost 5k from Savannakhet with no funds neede in bank. 

They were talking about extension of stay based on marriage and not having the 400k on bank. 

Yet to actuallymeet any one who has a ext by this method. But in sure there out there.

Re visa exempt and flying out/in im sure somewhere along the line immigration would stop them.

1) True but illegal, more often for retirement than marriage but available nonetheless.  Usually much less than 45k.

2) True, but eventually will be stopped by immigration (might well be a long time before that happens) 

• Like 1

1. There are agents that will provide the funds needed to satisfy the financial requirements of an extension of stay for a price, and they are not necessarily (depending on how its done) breaking any rules.
  2. No. If you were to do many back to back visa exempt entries you would, almost certainly, eventually be denied entry. How many times you'd get away with it would be down to the Immigration officer at passport control.

1 minute ago, elviajero said:

No. If you were to do many back to back visa exempt entries you would, almost certainly, eventually be denied entry. How many times you'd get away with it would be down to the Immigration officer at passport control.

Yes - exactly this ^^  And add-in that only 2 per calendar-year at land-borders is now a hard-rule.  After 6 total (ever since 2015) every entry will get a big flashing warning on the IO's screen, assuring many questions.   But given reports of airport IOs attitudes recently, I doubt you'd reach 6 back-to-back before a warning (if lucky), and then refusal of entry after that.

Entering with consecutive Tourist Visas is still possible, but one needs to use "friendly" points of entry and rotate consulates where they are obtained.

6 minutes ago, elviajero said:
  • There are agents that will provide the funds needed to satisfy the financial requirements of an extension of stay for a price, and they are not necessarily (depending on how its done) breaking any rules.

Assuming the money was put in an account in the applicant's name, thereby being "legal" - how would the 'seasoning' of the funds be accomplished without some sort of deceptive (illegal?) back-dating?   Wouldn't the applicant have to apply 3 months in advance for a renewal of a retirement extension to even plausibly pull off a solution of this sort? 

5 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Assuming the money was put in an account in the applicant's name, thereby being "legal" - how would the 'seasoning' of the funds be accomplished without some sort of deceptive (illegal?) back-dating?   Wouldn't the applicant have to apply 3 months in advance for a renewal of a retirement extension to even plausibly pull off a solution of this sort? 

Law (legality) doesn't really come in to it.

The people in charge of immigration/the immigration act are given the authority, in law, to issue extensions of stay as they deem necessary, and the basic criteria for considering those extensions is issued by 'the powers that be' in the form of orders, rules and regulations.

It is possible for a senior officer to authorize an extension of stay without "seasoning". And there is nothing in the rules/regulations that asks about the origin of the money. Of course the money should be the applicants, but as proof of origin isn't asked for it gives a loophole that can be exploited.

I have heard of some agents that will lend the funds for 2/3 months at a premium.

There are, of course, some agents/immigration officers colluding to process completely fraudulent applications.

• Like 1

I know of both retirement and marriage applications taking place using an 'agent'  because the farang applying hasn't the income or able to prove income but for alot less than 45k, the people I know are typically paying 20-25k THB

3 minutes ago, IsaanAndy said:

I know of both retirement and marriage applications taking place using an 'agent'  because the farang applying hasn't the income or able to prove income but for alot less than 45k, the people I know are typically paying 20-25k THB

If farang are doing this type of activity it is illegal and should not be used under any circumstance.   If one is in Thailand and cannot provide the 800k as needed to acquire the proper visa then he shouldn't be here.

Why are farang always trying to cheat the system ... if they have no money then why are they in Thailand ......  ?

10 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Some people are of the persuasion that if they haven't got the money and can't adhere to the procedures in the statutes but pay a fee to facilitate getting the correct stamps in their passport from the local immigration office that would indicate that they must have had the money and must have followed the correct procedure, then it must be all be legal and above board.

Relying on someone elses fraud is a flawed premise IMHO.

Edited by NanLaew

9 hours ago, elviajero said:

Law (legality) doesn't really come in to it.

The people in charge of immigration/the immigration act are given the authority, in law, to issue extensions of stay as they deem necessary, and the basic criteria for considering those extensions is issued by 'the powers that be' in the form of orders, rules and regulations.

It is possible for a senior officer to authorize an extension of stay without "seasoning". And there is nothing in the rules/regulations that asks about the origin of the money. Of course the money should be the applicants, but as proof of origin isn't asked for it gives a loophole that can be exploited.

I have heard of some agents that will lend the funds for 2/3 months at a premium.

There are, of course, some agents/immigration officers colluding to process completely fraudulent applications.

Try this one,the money is seasoned all right but the account will be in your name for just a few hours?

Just something i came across.

So there's this sort of fraud...

and there's that sort of fraud.

All cats are grey in the dark, even Thai ones.