Cyclist killed by BMW-driving grad student who ‘didn’t see her’

snoop1130

Cyclist killed by BMW-driving grad student who ‘didn’t see her’

By Coconuts Bangkok

541.JPG

Photo: Top News/ Facebook

A young graduate student has been charged with reckless driving after running over a 58-year-old woman on a bicycle in Pathum Thani province this morning, killing her instantly.

Thanadech Maksiri, 23, who studies international business at Rajamangala University of Technology Thanyaburi, crashed his BMW into Pattamawadee Prammareung at the entrance of his university.

Thanadech, who said he did not see Pattamawadee on the road, crashed into her with full force.

Full Story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/cyclist-killed-bmw-driving-grad-student-didnt-see/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-5-19

That's a fair bit of damage to the near side front of the BMW. Was speed a factor when striking an old lady on a bicycle? you decide.

Klong 6 can get very busy at certain times of the day outside RMUTT and cyclists and motorcyclists can also be very careless.

For the police to have charged him so quickly, it seems apparent that he clearly wasn't paying attention to the road.

Messaging someone or checking if Facebook was still on line, most likely.

I feel really sad for the family of the woman killed who obviously had a big heart and cared for the community.

For a 23 year old student, to be driving a BMW, suggests his family have the wherewithal to help him avoid jail.

Another sad report.

R.I.P

And what will the show-off be punishment with? Hmmmmmmmm.....
500 baht fine? Do merit? Mummy and daddy buy a him. Merc?

Look at me! I drive a very over priced, expensive to maintain, heavy loss resale valued piece of rubbish, namely a BMW!

I love and miss riding a push bike but I refuse to ride a bike on the 2nd most dangerous roads in the world also ranked number 1 in the world for motorcycle deaths.

Paradise! Ya right!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

13 hours ago, clockman said:

To hiso they are just not seen.!

This is a 500-600k baht car on the second hand market. Hardly hi-so. 

One wonders if it would make the headlines if it would have been a Honda or Toyota driver.. 

14 hours ago, darksidedog said:

For the police to have charged him so quickly, it seems apparent that he clearly wasn't paying attention to the road.

I feel really sad for the family of the woman killed who obviously had a big heart and cared for the community.

For a 23 year old student, to be driving a BMW, suggests his family have the wherewithal to help him avoid jail.

If there is a fatality involved, the police will always take you into custody unless you are very well connected. 

30 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

So many motorists here who just do not look where they are going ! Maybe texting or otherwise engaged. Anyone on a bicycle is taking a huge risk, and the car drivers should be charged with vehicular manslaughter !

Thank god drivers in the west are NEVER distracted nor text while driving.

It only happens in thailand thank god

15 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I agree its likely he wasnt paying attention but charging with reckless driving in this type of incident is fairly standard procedure.  Innocent until proven....  or unless your dad owns RedBull :sad:

1 hour ago, Happy enough said:

Why are people saying hiso? That's an old standard 5 series and would cost less than a new Honda Civic. 

Ah yes the newbie expert has arrived to set us all straight. Welcome to the club. You got your feet wet on this one and your answer made sense unlike some posts. 

Mum dad are loaded Look he is like most Thai drivers he dont think what he is doing or look what he is doing Mirrors on the cars just make the car look good and are never used Ok punishment  1,000 baht fine and say dont do it again Case closed

Another sad report.

R.I.P

Look at me! I drive a very over priced, expensive to maintain, heavy loss resale valued piece of rubbish, namely a BMW!

I love and miss riding a push bike but I refuse to ride a bike on the 2nd most dangerous roads in the world also ranked number 1 in the world for motorcycle deaths.

Paradise! Ya right!

Jealousy is a debilitating emotion.

Best to get over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mum dad are loaded Look he is like most Thai drivers he dont think what he is doing or look what he is doing Mirrors on the cars just make the car look good and are never used Ok punishment  1,000 baht fine and say dont do it again Case closed

Why would they be loaded?

I have a Benz and a BMW but I dont consider myself loaded.

They are more likely to be middle class Thais. Do you begrudge all Thai nationals that are moderately succesful?

Only like the farm girls?

20 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Where in the OP or the actual news report do you get any information to conclude "the woman killed who obviously had a big heart and cared for the community." ?? 

For all we know she was a miserable old witch who beat children.   You don't know that she had a big heart or cared for anyone.

And why the veiled insinuation that just because the student was driving a BMW that his family are rich and or he's going to be able to avoid prosecution?

Indeed why the assumption that he would be jailed anyway?  Perhaps the old lady was equally at fault for not looking out for vehicles.

They are more likely to be middle class Thais. Do you begrudge all Thai nationals that are moderately succesful?

The vast majority of Thais can't afford to drive a Benz or BMW !

for a large percentage a honda wave or similar small motorcycle is all they can afford , they get paid about 300 baht per day with 2 or 3 days off per month

They dont have "servants" to do the garden or wash the dishes and dont send their kids to "international" schools.

Middle class drive a Fortuna or 1-2 million baht car.

Hi-so drive BMW and Benz 5 million ++++++

Thats not to say that a farm girl might have set her heart on a 5 million + car and eventually own it.

22 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Could also mean he's not hi-so enough to linger in charging him, never the less RIP to the Lady, and a tragedy for her family!  

Edited by maxcorrigan
spelling

They sit calling or teksting. Happen me today after a bike ride to and near my abode so I know the area. I had  full stopp in a half intersection waiting for cars to turn around me and get clear way , one women took a bit short right cut and come straight against me and stopped 30 cm from my front wheel with here phone in hand...and the other hand on the steering wheel.......and lauging to here child... regarding vehicles and driving here...go back 50 year and start over:sad:

The vast majority of Thais can't afford to drive a Benz or BMW !

for a large percentage a honda wave or similar small motorcycle is all they can afford , they get paid about 300 baht per day with 2 or 3 days off per month

They dont have "servants" to do the garden or wash the dishes and dont send their kids to "international" schools.

Middle class drive a Fortuna or 1-2 million baht car.

Hi-so drive BMW and Benz 5 million ++++++

Thats not to say that a farm girl might have set her heart on a 5 million + car and eventually own it.

You have absolutely no idea what 'hi so' means in Thailand.

By definition hi-so is the upper echelons of society. A tiny minority.

The middle class encompasses a large number of people. Many of whom can afford more than a Fortuner. Anyone with a moderately succesful business (of which there are many) could afford a Beemer

6 hours ago, Dagnabbit said:

You missed the point mate Never mind Oh there is nothing wrong with farm girls Maybe you should lower yourself and meet one lol

3 hours ago, seancbk said:

Where in the OP or the actual news report do you get any information to conclude "the woman killed who obviously had a big heart and cared for the community." ?? 

For all we know she was a miserable old witch who beat children.   You don't know that she had a big heart or cared for anyone.

And why the veiled insinuation that just because the student was driving a BMW that his family are rich and or he's going to be able to avoid prosecution?

Indeed why the assumption that he would be jailed anyway?  Perhaps the old lady was equally at fault for not looking out for vehicles.

"Family of the deceased said she worked at the Half Way Home for Women and would ride her bike every day to buy groceries in Soi Khlong Hok."

So she was a social worker. That's the big heart and the community bit. Came from the full story. I suspect my guess on that is more accurate than yours.

23 year old non earning student in expensive car. Who bought it? Father Christmas? Probably not, so probably family. Who have money.

He said he didn't see her, even though she was in plain view. Why? Not paying attention/distracted= death by reckless driving = Jail.

She was found in the bushes beside the road, so he wasn't doing 30 kph. He pinged her good.

Perhaps the lady should have had some amulets on her handlebars? But bikes and pedestrians have right of way over cars.

Dude, she was wiped out by someone who wasn't paying attention. It is a loss to the community. RIP to the old girl.

Edited by darksidedog

On Friday, May 19, 2017 at 1:27 PM, pentap said:

Another sad report.

R.I.P

Paradise! Ya right!

BMWs are rubbish. Really? A few million owners might not agree.

On 2017/5/20 at 10:58 AM, Fulwell53 said:

Thank god drivers in the west are NEVER distracted nor text while driving.

It only happens in thailand thank god

Drivers in the west do a lot less text while driving.