When registering marriage do you need a legalized copy of PPort

davidst01

After doing the stat dec at my consulate and going to the dept of foreign affairs in bkk. They post that to me and Im ready to go to the amphur. 

At the amphur do I also need to show a legalized copy of my passport translated to thai language (stamped by my consulate)?

thanks

1 hour ago, happylarry said:

Yes you do need the passport translated and stamped, but by the MFA, not your consulate.

As always there are the odd Amphur that translates rules differently but officially you do need that.

HL

thanks for the info. so do I take my passport to an official translator and ask him for an English and Thai translation and then take these 2 pieces of paper to the MFA and then do they stamp it????

14 minutes ago, davidst01 said:

thanks for the info. so do I take my passport to an official translator and ask him for an English and Thai translation and then take these 2 pieces of paper to the MFA and then do they stamp it????

Yes, basically. You don't leave your passport though, they will just take a copy and then the MFA are signing that it is a true copy of the copy , so to speak. Do it the same time as your affirmation to marry. Are you aware that for a reasonable fee the translation shops will get it stamped for you and then post it to your home address?

HL

I ran into this problem a couple of weeks ago when I tried to marry at Ban Rak , no amount of talking could solve it on site.

I managed to get an appointment at the British embassy for the next day and on my way there the next morning I ran into the agent who got my affirmation processed at the MFA. Telling her of our problems the answer of course was "no problem, for a certain amount of baht one hour possible".

We hopped in a taxi , drove for about fifteen minutes to a large govt building near a major airport, walked in and sat down and twenty minutes later were officially married .

This is Thailand.