Applying for Second US Passport for Visa Runs in Bangkok

Has anyone here ever applied for a second passport at the US embassy here in Bangkok?  

Based on what I've read,  they can be issued in cases where you are either visiting a country (for example Israel) that will prevent you from entering another country if that country stamped your passport, or if you have travel plans that required you to submit your passport to multiple agencies  for visa processing etc.   The second passport is apparently valid for 2 years.  

The major advantage of this for visa runs would be to alternate travel documents so that you don't show back to back visas. 

The other is that it would allow me to book an overnight layover in Hong Kong drop off 1 passport at the consulate, proceed to a country that doesn't issue visas to non permanent residents (China or Japan for example), and schedule another overnight layover in HK coming back to Thailand so that I can collect my passport. 

What I'm hoping to find out here is  whether anyone here has done it,  what documents you needed to provide while applying for a second passport in BKK, and how long it took for the passport to arrive.

Here's a link to the Malaysia's US embassy page on this topic, but I haven't been able to find one for Thailand.   

https://my.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/how-to-renew-a-passport/applying-for-a-second-u-s-passport/

I've also seen the UK website's page  which gives more information on the circumstances  for requiring a second passport  such as  needing to submit it for visas from multiple agencies. 

Here's the link to the page for Hong Kong and MAcau...   They give a bit more explanation on the circumstances.    Oddly they say that the second passport is valid 4 years whereas  the other sites say 2 years.    

https://hongkong.usconsulate.gov/acs_passports_second.html

Edited by pjthefey

I have tried to find the requirements for a 2nd US passport on the department of state website. I have not found a form to apply for a 2nd passport.

Apparently it is just proof that you have a  legitimate reason for needing one. You have to convince the consular officer accepting the application you need one apparently is the most important requirement.

I was at the embassy and overheard the conversion between an officer and the person wanting one. The officer asked a lot of questions before he agreed to accept the application.

Having a 2nd passport might work for getting visas and entering on them. But your history of entries for both your passports would be linked in immigration's database.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

I have tried to find the requirements for a 2nd US passport on the department of state website. I have not found a form to apply for a 2nd passport.

Apparently it is just proof that you have a  legitimate reason for needing one. You have to convince the consular officer accepting the application you need one apparently is the most important requirement.

I was at the embassy and overheard the conversion between an officer and the person wanting one. The officer asked a lot of questions before he agreed to accept the application.

Having a 2nd passport might work for getting visas and entering on them. But your history of entries for both your passports would be linked in immigration's database.

Fair enough about linked histories.   I have no idea if the passports have the same number or not.   That said it's good to know that someone here has at least observed someone getting one at the Embassy here.     I already knew that you have to fill out the normal passport application form.   I was more iffy about the documents explaining your need for it. 

I think my explanation will work.   "Every few months I travel within Asia and get a new Thai Visa, but many of the countries I want to go to don't process visas  for non permanent residents, so I have to apply for a Visa in HK.  I usually only have a week available to travel, so spending 2-4 days waiting for a visa in HK or Korea  makes traveling to Japan/China impractical without a second passport."

Based on what I've read I'll need to provide an itinerary showing one night in HK (or Korea,  probably HK since it's a Cathay pacific hub), continuing somewhere else the next day,  stopping in HK  for a night on the way back,  and coming back to Thailand. 

I had 2 UK passports for 20 years while working offshore as visas were often required for next assignment. Each passport was valid for full 10 year term and each had its unique number. I am not certain your argument for a second US passport is valid but no harm in trying.

2 hours ago, pjthefey said:

...it would allow me to book an overnight layover in Hong Kong drop off 1 passport at the consulate, proceed to a country that doesn't issue visas to non permanent residents (China or Japan for example), and schedule another overnight layover in HK coming back to Thailand so that I can collect my passport...

1 hour ago, pjthefey said:

...I usually only have a week available to travel, so spending 2-4 days waiting for a visa in HK or Korea  makes traveling to Japan/China impractical without a second passport...

Why can't you get your visas for travel to China, Japan or Korea from the respective embassies in Bangkok?

22 minutes ago, Maestro said:

Why can't you get your visas for travel to China, Japan or Korea from the respective embassies in Bangkok?

With the exception of China, I don't need them.    

The issue is that I've got 6-7 days to travel, and I want to get to visit Japan or China -and- get a new Thai visa  which those countries  won't provide.    If I go to HK or Korea,   I'll have to use half  (or even worse more than half  if there's a holiday or weekend involved) of that time in a country that isn't my main destination waiting for a visa,  whereas with a second passport, I could drop  one passport off in the AM for visa processing,  go to the airport in the afternoon, and be on my way.   Then at the end of the trip, I could stop back in HK or Korea  (whichever one I use  to get a Thai Visa)   pick it up at the Embassy/Consulate  and catch a flight a few hours later back to Thailand. 

I might be wrong but I'm not too sure if your reason for requiring 2 passports will be sufficient.

if it is anything like the uk then you are required to show documented proof of why you need a second passport (letter from employer in my case).

Looking at it from.the perspective of the US embassy official, I suppose the question would be why do you only have 6-7 days to travel? Why could you not extend your trip by a few days and both get the visa and visit whatever country you want? Also, note that in your explination, it is countries that you WANT to visit, not countries you NEED to visit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pjthefey said:

...The issue is that I've got 6-7 days to travel, and I want to get to visit Japan or China -and- get a new Thai visa  which those countries  won't provide...

I see, it is the visa for Thailand that you want to get in Hong Kong.

11 hours ago, Doiger said:

I might be wrong but I'm not too sure if your reason for requiring 2 passports will be sufficient.

if it is anything like the uk then you are required to show documented proof of why you need a second passport (letter from employer in my case).

seems your underlying reason for the 2 passports is more of convenience rather than real Need; embassy/consulate folks might also interpret it that way

12 hours ago, Doiger said:

11 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

seems your underlying reason for the 2 passports is more of convenience rather than real Need; embassy/consulate folks might also interpret it that way

I think the ops reason for needing 2 passports is for convenience.

but since you have quoted me in your post, seems you are aiming it at me, the reason I require 2 passports is for my work requirements.

i had one years ago, necessary since in my original passport an Israeli entry was stamped, and i needed a Bahrain Visa with a clean passport from London Bahrain Embassy.

It never occurred to me  to use the second passport for anything else then business trips.

15 hours ago, pjthefey said:

Fair enough about linked histories.   I have no idea if the passports have the same number or not.   That said it's good to know that someone here has at least observed someone getting one at the Embassy here.     I already knew that you have to fill out the normal passport application form.   I was more iffy about the documents explaining your need for it. 

I think my explanation will work.   "Every few months I travel within Asia and get a new Thai Visa, but many of the countries I want to go to don't process visas  for non permanent residents, so I have to apply for a Visa in HK.  I usually only have a week available to travel, so spending 2-4 days waiting for a visa in HK or Korea  makes traveling to Japan/China impractical without a second passport."

Based on what I've read I'll need to provide an itinerary showing one night in HK (or Korea,  probably HK since it's a Cathay pacific hub), continuing somewhere else the next day,  stopping in HK  for a night on the way back,  and coming back to Thailand. 

Jumping in late.  However, I routinely apply for a 2nd US passport so can add some first hand knowledge perhaps.

1.  I have applied via both the US Embassy in Bangkok, Consulate in Chiang Mai and when I wasn't living in Thailand via the Consulate in Dubai.  All three were helpful, professional and easy.  Chiang Mai being the quickest and most professional to deal with IMO.

2.  I usually hand in a letter from my company stating the reason I need a 2nd passport - standard reason, I travel frequently for work and my passport is required at times to apply for visas which can take time, and I am required to have a passport on me at all times which is why I need a 2nd passport.  (Feel free to send me an email and I can give you the wording I use).  Another reason commonly used by folks is they are traveling to Israel and work in the GCC and therefore require a "clean" passport.

3.  The passport numbers are different.

4.  The 2nd passport was originally only valid for 2 years, however, now I believe they are issuing 5 year 2nd passports.  Please note that you are not guaranteed an automatic renewal each time, you need to reapply each time.  

5.  I have never had to show an itinerary - although the stamps in my passport(s) prove point #2.

6.  You will know whether you are approved before you leave the Embassy/Consulate.  To be honest, as long as you have a legitimate need I have never heard of someone being denied; most of my US colleagues carry 2nd passports as we work in some "iffy" countries and we keep one "clean" passport for fun travel and one for work travel.

7.  My other advice is always go into the Embassy/Consulate in dress pants/trousers/khakis and a ironed shirt - you get much better service IMO looking professional vs some of our countrymen who rock up in cut off shorts and tshirts, etc.  Smile, be professional, say thank you, etc.  It goes a long way.

Feel free to ping me with any other questions.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Just curious, was this the Embassy in Bangkok?  I have never been questioned, and I am curious if the guy ... looked/dressed dodgy.  LOL  Each passport has its own number, so not sure if they are linked in Thai Immigration's database, they certainly are linked in the State Department's database (along with my passport card).  I guess facial recognition could link them in the database here?  

16 hours ago, pjthefey said:

I am pretty sure the passports do not have the same number.  I say that because I recently had a valid passport but I put it through the washer so I got another one. It came back with a different number.  My friend just had his passport stolen while overseas in Italy and he got a "temporary" one there and finished his trip and got home.  Numbers were not the same.

5 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

I am pretty sure the passports do not have the same number.  I say that because I recently had a valid passport but I put it through the washer so I got another one. It came back with a different number.  My friend just had his passport stolen while overseas in Italy and he got a "temporary" one there and finished his trip and got home.  Numbers were not the same.

Correct.  Numbers are not the same.  The 2 I have now have numbers in the same "series", but that is because I applied for my current 10yr and 2nd passport at the same time.  In the past the numbers have not even been close.