Dog bitten on neck - what to do?

Hi fellow Dog Lovers.

My mrs's family have two lovely dogs and the youngest (18 months) was bitten 2 days ago on the neck and it looks pretty deep. No alarm was rang per se, I just go up most Sundays to feed them and today my BIL pointed it out. Looks nasty I have taken a picture so you can see the damage. 

Maybe you have experienced something similar or maybe your a vet?

Please detail to me the course of action you took in treating the dog, if any?

20170521_151430.jpg

Get to a Vet. Should have gone immediately for cleaning and suturing. At this stage may be too late to suture, but see what Vet says - it is dangerous to leave a gaping wound in that area.

There are vital nerves and blood vessels in that area and though they were evidentally not ruptured a festering wound like this could erode into them. Do not delay.

35 minutes ago, cooked said:

Vet visit I reckon as apparently nobody cleaned the wound, applied antibiotic or bandage.

Correct on no dressing but it's been treated by the family (cleaned) Any ideas on cost for this treatment? Ball park?

The cost will depend on the treatment required and also on where you go.

The best quality vet care in Thailand is also the least expensive -- University Vet Hospitals. But only an option if you live near one.

In Bangkok: Kasetsart and Chulalongkhorn

In Nakhon Pathom: Mahidol (Salayia)

In Issan: Khon Kaen  Univ

Chiuang Mai/Chaung Rai: CMU

I recommend this,all vets use it and maybe hospitals too i think
You could get some from there.
I have to use it on my dog when he gets too big for his boots !
If it gets worse - go to the vet though- hope all goes well .

The wound looks like it's infected and you should seek immediate care at a vet.

The hair around the wound needs to be shaved to expose the skin so that it can be properly cleaned with sterile water and a povidone/iodine solution on a daily basis.  The wound would have to be thoroughly washed/cleaned out with the povidone solution.  Then the determination would have to be made whether it could be sutured or is it would have to be "packed" with antibiotic coated gauze to prevent further infection.  Antibiotic injections should also be given.  In order for the vet to do this he/she would first have to give the dog a general anesthetic,

After the dog went home the dressing would have to be changed and the wound cleaned on a daily basis at least until the stitches, if any, are removed which is usually 7 days.  During that time the dog would also have to receive oral antibiotics and kept from running and jumping.

The whole procedure is exactly the same as what you would go through if you were bitten.  It's not going to be "cheap" whether you are a Thai or a Farang and that's why you see many dogs running around in the condition they are in.

20 hours ago, Sheryl said:

The best quality vet care in Thailand is also the least expensive -- University Vet Hospitals. But only an option if you live near one.

i would have to agree with sheryl on the above.the wife done 2x 10hr.trips to khon kaen to put our minds at rest after some appauling treatment our boy recieved.THIS YR.

x-ray,ultra sound,snap test,imizol injection,blood tests and medication total cost was 2,300bht.half what it would have cost locally.

then a month later she took him for his rabies plus,yearly inj.at a LOCAL VETS,she had to stop me from blowing the place to bits with the vet inside.they told my wife our boy was ill and needed this,this,and this,that frightned her so she paid up,they even said they had to do a snap test knowing full well he had a test 4weeks ago,that was just a part of the complete incompetant RIP OFF.

for those that dont know a follow up snap test should NOT be carried out for at least 12months.

so let us know how you get on with the treatment.

Like others already said, the wound seems infected already so bring your dog to the VET asap to get it cleaned out.

Anti-biotics willprobably be needed also.

Please let us know how its going in a couple of days, hope your little buddy recovers soon.

Has the dog been vaccinated for rabies?

What about the animal that bit the dog?

Here in KK there is at least one vet who makes house calls.  I was really surprised at how little they charged for the service.  At first I thought we were getting a special discount because of the relationship involved, but it turns out to be the regular price.

1 hour ago, TerryLH said:

Has the dog been vaccinated for rabies?

What about the animal that bit the dog?

Here in KK there is at least one vet who makes house calls.  I was really surprised at how little they charged for the service.  At first I thought we were getting a special discount because of the relationship involved, but it turns out to be the regular price.

I am surprised no-one else has mentioned rabies.   The infection looks nasty and needs treatment.  I am no medical person but I would have thought a rabies check in order if you are not sure of the animal having had previous vaccinations against it?

you are obviously not a dog lover ,

or very neglective? 

How can your dog be bitten while under your attention ?

You have to care for him as if he is a little baby.

Did he run on the street with wild dogs?

Did your other dog bite him?

Lucky your girlfriend was not bitten . 

Dog lover

2 hours ago, lucjoker said:

or very neglective? 

Dog lover

Read the original post. Dogs aren't babies., they fight sometimes.

2 hours ago, lucjoker said:

or very neglective? 

Dog lover

It's not even his dog pal, read the OP.

As with the many medical questions that we see on Thai Visa, it would be impossible for a vet to make a decent diagnosis based on your photo. You bring the dog to the vet if you want the dog to become healthy again.

Thanks for all your comments.

It's true it is not my dog and I was only made aware 2 days after the event when I rode up with food for the dogs as I do twice a week. 40km each way.

My Mrs advised the dog was treated by her family and I made a decision to consult this forum as I thought it looked serious whereas she did not and no one seemed alarmed but me.

I have not been back, I will go tomorrow we had some awful rain here and my son required vaccinations and given he is all but 9 weeks old I have some odd sleep patterns at present and unfortunately for the dog I have to prioritise the workload.

I have had the Mrs on the phone each day asking how he is. The day I learned about the wound the 3 vets in this area would have been shut.

The dog is doing good shows no signs of anything but thanks to most comments my decision is to go and see a vet tomorrow.

I'm sorry I'm not experienced with dogs and whilst I love the dog and his older brother to bits I have more important matters to attend to in my day to day.

If I was advised on the Friday it happened I'd have been up the same night but unfortunately where my Mrs family live. A dog bite is no big deal so no one bothered to sound the alarm.

I'm sorry I will tend to him I have just been very busy.

Dogs often lick their wounds coz it contains powerful anti-bacterial umm...stuff. Being in a position on the neck the dog hasn't been able to do this itself. Not sure if another dogs saliva would help.

If it were my dog I would give the dog a small taste of bacon (or one of the dogs favourites) to try to get it to salivate, collect it in a dish and apply it to the wound with a small paintbrush that was previously boiled in water. Sounds icky but being a dog lover you don't mind a little icky.

Give very small pieces so the dog swallows it whole, you don't want too much bacon carried in the saliva.

Just a suggestion.

On 5/22/2017 at 11:17 AM, Sheryl said:

If your town/city has a Public Health Veterinary Section you could try there. The one in Pattaya is fantastic.

If I get a tooth infection I bite into a boiled and cooled black tea bag, the acidic properties of tea make it difficult for bacteria to survive allowing the dogs own mechanism to fight it off more effectively. Should work for the dog, but may sting a bit. However if the wound is very deep it might contaminate the blood, but if this is the case the infection itself is likely life threatening.

These home remedies are in the absence of vet care, which is a good idea as the wound looks quite nasty. If only a couple of days it would not have had time to show major symptoms yet but that certainly doesn't mean its all clear.

A cold, wet nose is an indication of a healthy dog. Warm and dry means it could be sick.