Non O or Extension Of Stay

I currently have a non OM visa which expires in August. I need to leave Thailand and return to the UK and return before the current visa expires. I don't want to be constrained by the 90 day leave the country and re-enter, what are my best options as I am married to a Thai, I am over 50 yrs old and have the financial requirements to meet the Extension Of Stay. I need to be able to leave Thailand regularly and return to the UK but without the 90 day limit. If the Extension Of Stay based on marriage and age is the best option can I get this processed at my local immigration office in the south of Thailand. Would this also enable me to exit and re-enter a few times during its validity period or would I need a re-entry permit.

You can get a one-year extension of stay on the basis of marriage (or, a little more conveniently retirement if not planning to work in Thailand and having the extra financial proof) at the immigration office in the area you are living. At the time you get the extension, you can get a multiple entry re-entry permit for 3,800 baht which allows you to exit and reenter as often as you wish during the validity period of the extension. You then only need to do address reporting if 90 days consecutively in Thailand.

Non o based on marriage 90 days +60 days extension so would only have to border hop every 5 months. Can stretch visa out to 17 months if you do a border hop days before the visa expiry date.

Or the ext of stay option 400k plus all the other bits and bobs you need paperwork and picture wise 1900bht + multi entry permit i belive is 3800bht (could be wrong there). Then the 90 day reports to immigration. As they say the choice is yours.

An extension of stay based on marriage, obtained from your local Immigration office (I,900 baht) + a multi re-entry permit (3,800 baht), would allow you permission to stay in Thailand without the need to leave the Country every 90 days.

The re-entry permit is valid for the duration of the extension, so you can leave and re-enter as many times as required.

If you stay in the Country for 90 consecutive days, then you must make a 90 day report at your local Immigration office.

Leaving and re-entering resets your 90 day report date to count 1 from the day you re-enter.

You need to ensure you will be in the Country at the same time every year to renew your extension.

Thanks for the replies....

what paperwork would I need to supply my local immigration office for an extension of stay based on marriage. I dont like putting any money into a bank here in Thailand and ask if money held in a UK bank is acceptable. Would I need to provide my local immigration with proof of my bank holdings and proof of earnings and would this need verification by my embassy in Bangkok. What are the opinions on extension based on marriage as opposed to a non OA visa based on age and funds

1 minute ago, Karlo said:

Thanks for the replies....

what paperwork would I need to supply my local immigration office for an extension of stay based on marriage. I dont like putting any money into a bank here in Thailand and ask if money held in a UK bank is acceptable. Would I need to provide my local immigration with proof of my bank holdings and proof of earnings and would this need verification by my embassy in Bangkok. What are the opinions on extension based on marriage as opposed to a non OA visa based on age and funds

For the 400k baht option it must be in a Thai bank in your name only for 2 months. If using the 40k baht income option you would need a letter from the UK embassy.

Info for getting the income letter by mail is here. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-obtain-a-pensionincome-letter-for-thai-immigration 

Here is my general list of required documents and etc. Marriage Extension Requirements.pdf

• Like 1

A multi entry Non Imm O-A Visa. (Long stay). Valid 1 year. Can be issued to those who are over 50 who intend to remain in Thailand for long periods. This Visa allows unlimited 1 year entries before the ‘enter before’ date of the Visa, at which point this Visa is  ‘used’.

If you leave and re-enter just before the ‘enter before’ date of this Visa type you are granted another 1 year permission to stay. You will however require a re-entry permit if you intend to leave and re-enter Thailand during this 2nd year permission to stay period.

This is because when the Visa expires on the ‘enter before’ date, so does the ME facility which is only valid until the ‘enter before’ date of the Visa.

You can obtain each 90 day permission to stay by either reporting to your local Immigration office (90 day reports), or exiting and re-entering Thailand. You cannot extend the permission to stay beyond 90 days with this Visa type.

If used correctly, you can stay in Thailand for almost 24 months with this Visa type.

Extensions of Stay based on ‘Retirement’ or ‘Marriage’, are ‘Permits’, not Visas.

They are a rubber inked stamp posted in your passport and obtained from internal Immigration offices, not Thai Embassies/Consulates.

You can apply for an extension of permission to stay based on retirement or marriage (subject to meeting the financial requirements) within the last 30 days of any of the 90 day permission to stay periods of a Non Imm type Visa.

An extension, unlike a Visa, does not allow entries into Thailand. It is not an extension to your Visa, which expires on the ‘enter before’ date. It only extends your permission to stay in Thailand, for 365 days, subject to making 90 day reports.

Above the ‘extension stamp’ a separate stamp stating either ‘retirement’ or ‘marriage’ denotes the purpose on which the extension was issued. The second line of each extension stamp reads as follows;

Extension of stay permitted until…………… (Note, not extension of a Visa.)

If you wish to leave and re-enter Thailand on an extension of your permission to stay, you must first purchase a re-entry permit to keep your extension valid. A single re-entry permits cost 1,000 baht, multiple entry 3,800 baht. They are only valid for the period the extension is valid and expire when your current extension expires.

Once again if you read the extension stamp in your passport fully, it states the following;

• To keep your stay permit, re-entry permit must be made before leaving Thailand.

• Notification of residence must be made every 90 days.

If you do happen to leave and re-enter Thailand during any of the 90 day periods of permission to stay, this will change the due date of your next 90 day report.

Your next report will now be due 90 days after the re-entry date. (Inclusive).

Horses for courses. An extension can be renewed annually from a local Immigration office, without the need to leave the Country.

A Non Imm O-A Visa will have to be replaced every 2 years, from a Thai Embassy/Consulate, from your Home Country, unless you have permanent residency status in an adjoining Country to Thailand.