Stay based on parental rights over Thai children

I have sole parental rights over two children who are Thai nationals. At present, I stay in Thailand on the basis of a retirement extension. I understand that an alternative extension of stay is available on the basis of my parental rights and that this requires a bank deposit of THB 400,000. I have two questions:

1. If I make the change to an extension based on the children, will I need to exit the country to obtain a new Non-O visa, or can my current retirement extension be converted into an extension based on the children at the time of renewal?

2. Does an extension of stay based on care for one's Thai children include the right to work, or is that excluded in the same way as with a retirement extension?

Thank you for any insights.

Do you have custody of the children and are they living with you? What do you mean by parental rights?

1. You not need to leave the country to change the reason for your current extension from retirement to one based upon being the parent of a Thai.

2. You can get a work permit and work with the extension based upon being the parent of a Thai.

3 minutes ago, Rayinbkk said:

Thank you for this very helpful advice. Yes, I have sole custody of the children on the basis of a ruling by the Thai family court, and they live with me.

I was asking to confirm you could apply for the extension which is confirmed by your post.