Just arrived. Do I need to report my address to Immigration?

I arrived in Chiang Mai on Saturday on a flight from the US. I have a single 60-day tourist visa which I plan to extend for an additional 30 days. I am staying with a friend, not at a hotel. Do I need to go to Immigration today to report my address? (I think it may be called a TM 30.)

Thanks.

2 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Did you not already report your address on your Arrival Card once you landed in Thailand?

TM 6, TM 30, TM 28, TM 47 ... if you are confused about address reporting in Thailand, I do not blame you. The rules, as written, are ridiculous. As usual @ubonjoe avoids going into all the excruciating detail, and gives the OP the information he needs. In Chiang Mai, the TM 30 is required. The head of household must give immigration the "notification of foreign national staying in the dwelling" within 24 hours of arrival. This is distinct from all the other various possible address notifications sometimes needed, depending on the situation and where you are staying.

• Like 2

It is your friends responsibility to report that you're staying with them using the TM.30, not yours.

As you are planning to apply for an extension of stay you should ensure your friend completes the TM.30 and submits it to CM immigration.

2 hours ago, paul18620 said:

Yes you do 

as when you apply for the extension they will probably fine you for not registering 24 hours when you arrived in Thailand fine is 800 bhat

The fine can be up to 2,000 baht, but is often only 800 baht. 

They would fine the person/s responsible for the report, not (in this case) the visitor.

The only problem the OP faces is no extension if no TM.30 is submitted.

28 minutes ago, elviajero said:

They would fine the person/s responsible for the report, not (in this case) the visitor.

That is what should happen. Maybe, in Chiang Mai it really does work that way. However, many immigration offices decide doing their job is too hard, and fine the blameless foreigner instead.

By the by, for a tourist entry extension, you do have the option of checking into a hotel for a night and applying for the extension the next morning. The hotel will then have submitted a current TM 30.