Explosion at King Mongkut hospital leaves a dozen injured

webfact

6 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

I want to condemn the act that attacked a medical place and injured patients and relatives waiting for medical care. The attack in a hospital absolutely violated international human rights laws. The attackers’ acts are considered brutal, inhumane,” she said.

I totally agree.

Sad to see something like this anywhere.  My good wishes for a speedy recovery for all those injured  This is a good hospital and provides excellent services  Have used it for a number of years.

Army chief condemns bomb blast at hospital as the worst ever

IMG_1588.jpg

Army Commander-in-Chief General Chalermchai Sitthisart condemned the bomb blast at Mongkutklao hospital as the worst ever explosion with an intention to kill or maim because the device contained many nails and most of the victims were reitrees.

“This is the worst ever bombing incident. Normally they do not attack a hospital, even at a time of war,” said the army chief as he asked members of the public to condemn the perpetrators and to provide information to the authorities if they have any which help in tracking down the perpetrators.

The army chief suggested that the perpetrators of this latest incident might be the same group which was responsible for the bomb explosions in front of the Government Lottery Office and the National Theatre.

He said the perpetrators did not intend to discredit the government but wanted to create chaos.

Officials concerned were told to beef up security while the City Hall was urged to upgrade and increase the number of surveillance cameras in the city.

Altogether 21 people were injured, including an elderly woman who was seriously injured.

Bomb experts, meanwhile, said that the bomb was a low explosive device which was not intended to kill. They added that it could not be confirmed at this stage it was the same type of bombs that went off in front of the National Theatre recently.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/army-chief-condemns-bomb-blast-hospital-worst-ever/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-05-22

1 hour ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

There are rumblings of divisions in the military. Could be a group that opposes the current Generals.

I have never seen Thailand so scared, divided and in turmoil in 30 years. Extremely worrying for the future. 

I wouldn't rule out the families of the innocents killed in 2010- who were sent away with no answers just recently, either.

No justice.  No peace.

Despicable act nonetheless.

Edited by impulse

1 hour ago, hansnl said:

Oh yes, a bomb, of course is the ultimate expression of democracy.

Or the wish for democracy.

I think you missed the point of the post you quoted.  He was implying that the government themselves planted it, as an excuse to stay in power longer.  Which is of course a very real possibility.

Hospital bomb attackers were professionals, says security expert

By The Nation

b100e2508d9cf9fb9ddda15307a9c811.jpeg

Panithan Wattanayakorn, a security expert and adviser to Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan, said that the bomb attackers at Phramongkutklao Hospital, were experienced and professional, and operated with the help of a network.

“They are not amateurs. Their operations are complex and politically motivated to make people panic. The attack took place in a public place that could be linked to people’s daily lives and which is not under much strict control, Panithan said.

But it had to be accepted that the security authorities would have to review their work, he said.

“A hospital is a public place that should not be attacked under any circumstances. It is against the rules. However the more it is against the rules, the more it causes panic among people,” he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30315975

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-5-22

The immorality of this is overwhelming. There is no worse place to have a fire than a hospital. Immobile bed ridden patients who can asphyxiate or burn to death. Surgeries disrupted  etc. No matter one's views on the military rule, this is just so wrong.

I hope that hospital administration at Thailand now have a close look at their emergency evacuation and response plans. Whether a bomb or  electrical fire, Thailand  must get its house in order. The response at the hospital was less than stellar to be polite about it.

Disgusting.
If you have arguments: Fight your fights with your Tongue.
If you do not have arguments: Shut Up.

using despicable cluster bombs against your own has never been a way forward for anyone anywhere.

Edited by KKr

8 minutes ago, RigPig said:

It is against the rules. However the more it is against the rules, the more it causes panic among people,” he said.

I thought this was about a bomb. not the government.....

People need to get away from this notion that there are rules in war. There are no rules. People want to win, and if they want to win badly enough, they'll do whatever they want. 

Officials concerned were told to beef up security while the City Hall was urged to upgrade and increase the number of surveillance cameras in the city.

No good increasing surveillance cameras when they don't work. Especially when high-ranking officials  are involved.