How safe to swim in sea?

Nemises

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to know what dodgy looking mean also brown colored and greenish mean etc.

Doctors have produced this guide to sea colour and condition:

Dodgy looking - Everyone probably ate peanuts, undigested sunflower seeds etc

Brown coloured - Everyone ate steak and kidney pie, hot dogs

Greenish - Generally results from eating a vegetarian diet

Blue colour - Hospitalisation urgently recommended

Doubtful it will kill you or even make you sick...but I don't and wouldn't. Many do, but It's filthy. Notice the dearth of (live) fish and total lack of seabirds. Sure signs of unhealthy conditions and a polluted ecosystem. :post-4641-1156693976: 

I have played in the water on and off for 11 years in Naklua (normally not Pattaya) and never experienced anything bad. My kids on the other hand occasionally develop a rash and prefer not to go anymore. Can't really blame them.

It isn't very clean... Very unfortunate that I finally move to the beach and can't safely enjoy it.

How safe is it to swim in sewage, if you keep your mouth closed? :)

I knew somebody who swam in Jomtien every day. He stopped after he got a mold on his feet that wouldn't go away. Not trying to scare you, true story.

You'd probably make it back to your hotel before nausea sets in and diarrhoea starts. 

Don't take the chance! Go to Koh Larn if you want to swim. 

Those who say they swim every day have built up an immunity to the sewer and stormwater (read wastewater) that flows into Pattaya Bay and Jomtien. 

Thailand beaches are not the beaches you see in the travel brochures.

10 minutes ago, Graemej100 said:

You'd probably make it back to your hotel before nausea sets in and diarrhoea starts. 

Those who say they swim every day have built up an immunity to the sewer and stormwater (read wastewater) that flows into Pattaya Bay and Jomtien. 

I was thinking of sending a couple of snaps to. Hayes and Jarvis, and Kuoni.

i was last in pattaya in january .,pattaya water wasnt too bad. it is usually worse around full tide .i do swim there occasionally,but as somebody has already said-koh larn is much cleaner or even jomtien...pattaya is getting worse with most ofl the speed boats,now anchored there permanently...

23 hours ago, phycokiller said:

theres a reason that this information isnt publicly available and that it it might harm the tourist industry. I would say its not safe for swimming during the rainy season because the sewers all overflow into the sea when it rains

Oh God, that is gross. All the virus & bacteria stick on your hairs, ears, eyes, lips.... Let's see, hepatitis A, B, C, Typhoid, Amoebic dysentery virus, HIV (although dead by then), pus from the wounds, women's menstruation , decaying aborted babies, cholera, dead animals , like cats and dogs.

I am going to sing a song called "No more swimming in Pattaya"

On 2017-5-22 at 1:42 PM, Chivas said:

I swim frequently and have never ever had side effects or sickness however i do make a point of keeping my mouth firmly closed

I would not swim in it same Jomtien. They pump effluent with reckless indifference into the sea.

20 hours ago, Chivas said:

what are you on about ????  you asked some bizarre quesion about my eye and ear  ??

No, not bizarre question, I think he meant all the shits and urine got into your eye and ear. Sorry for being busybody.

No, not bizarre question, I think he meant all the shits and urine got into your eye and ear. Sorry for being busybody.

Yes exactly what I meant, he seems to think that if you keep your mouth closed then you're safe!! Apparently he's unaware of all the skin, eye, ear infections you can get from polluted water.

Sent from my Lenovo K52e78 using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Graemej100 said:

Or go full out and swim to Koh Larn!  A few years back a drunk foreigner jumped into the drink from soi 6 and started swimming to Australia....so Koh Larn should be chicken feed!

http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/drunken-aussie-tries-to-swim-back-home-t6644.html

Edited by tazly