Super quick UK visa application - worth doing?

Im going back to the UK tonight for work for 2 weeks (i work a 2 weeks on, 3 weeks off rota offshore).

Just had good news my wife is pregnent so wanted to get a visa for her to go to the uk in 2-3 weeks time to meet the family during my next holiday rotation.

Then she would return to Thailand when i return to work,

I have filled out the online application but not submitted it yet as i have no gathered supporting evidence and no printer to print it out here (could go get one now).

Its all a bit of a rush as after this next holiday period (June 8th to June 28th) i dont think a uk visit is possible due to the hospital appointments ect in Bangkok.

It would have to wait until after the baby is born.

Some other issues:

The wife unfortunatly washed my passport yesterday in my trousers :sad:

Main page and visa are ok but nearly all the entry exit stamps are illegeable apart from the latest one or two (luckily).

I have no regular history of payments to my wife. I tend to just give her cash but there are some payments to her account.

History:

Known each other for 2 years.

Started a relationship about a year ago.

Married in a village wedding in Oct 2016.

Made legal in Feb this year (i have the translated certificates and original Thai ones).

I have 3 years of yearly contracts for renting my condo in Bangkok.

She used to work in a british pub (not a bar girl!!) but stopped work last month as it was interfering with our travels around Thailand.

Is it worth me sumbitting a rushed application?

What should i say about her job/lack of?

I was going to leave out the pregnancy bit.

In Feb 2015 we submitted a visit visa application for my then girlfriend. I lived in UK, she lived in Thailand. She had no job, about 3000฿ in the bank and no 'reason to return'. Despite that she received a visa in less that 10 working days (from submission at VFS to receiving passport back in the post).

By Feb 2016 we had married in Thailand and applied for a settlement visa and turnaround was again extremely fast - about 8 working days IIRC.

I am sure that if you submit the correct documents you would get the visa. I think the issue would be the workload at the particular time you submit. There is historic data available on turnaround time, but no data on current turnaround time other than anecdotal from recent applicants.

Just tell the truth as you have in your post.

DO tell them of your wife's pregnancy and supply proof.

Currently 99% of Visitor Visa applications are completed within 10 working days in Thailand.

My wife applied Tues, 9th May, came back last Friday 19th May.

• Like 1

I am resident in Thailand now (2 years) but previously my Thai wife got a visa for 3 separate visits to the UK to stay with me for 6 months. Now i live here,and i want her to come with me on a visit to England in November. Is the procedure/paperwork any different? 

I am resident in Thailand now (2 years) but previously my Thai wife got a visa for 3 separate visits to the UK to stay with me for 6 months. Now i live here,and i want her to come with me on a visit to England in November. Is the procedure/paperwork any different? 

Best to start start your own thread rather than piggyback onto another, where it might be missed.

If your wife wants to travel with you on a holiday to the UK later on in the year then she still needs to apply for a visit visa, as before.

As you're now living here, I assume together, then she could use that fact to strengthen her ties here, thus demonstrating her reasons to return. She needs to provide evidence that you're now resident and that you're likely to return.
  • Like 1

We applied for a UK Vistitor visa for my GF, no job, no money in the bank no property etc.

We provided proof we were cohabitating, letter from house owner, photographs, old passport with stamps of coming and going over the last 3 years

i have my own property in the UK so provided proof of ownership plus muy UK Bank Statements indicating I had enough funds too support her.

The Sponsors Letter for me is the most important thing too get right explaining how you can guarantee they will return too Thailand, I must have wrote and rewrote it a dozen times.

it was granted, took around 2 weeks, lots of legwork, visits too the Internet cafe for printouts, translations, got a decent deal from a company in Bangkok, scanned documents and the translations were returned via EMS.

I must admit I received some great advice from posters on Thai Visa, I had thought about using an Agent but you do all the legwork they just put it in a package, 30000 baht plus.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jamie2009 said:

The Sponsors Letter for me is the most important thing too get right explaining how you can guarantee they will return too Thailand, I must have wrote and rewrote it a dozen times.

You are absolutely right but you do need to supply solid, coherent information too. I think I edited each of my sponsor letters 50 times...

Thanks to everyone for your answers and advice.
In the end just no time to do it.
I still fancy sorting it out from work and just submit it quick but the wife would have to do all the running about and that's not really on. Will maybe try for July instead but it doesn't work well as its 12 weeks and a few tests to be done at the hospital.

A lesson to be learned from another thread running, where the visa was application was rejected, is to brief your wife thoroughly on the details of the application just in case they choose to do a telephone interview with her.

Edited by rawhod
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, RC8 said:

One last question about the date of travel. If I apply for travel in July but cannot make it can the visa be used in August or September instead?

Your Visa is valid for 6 months from the date you said you were planning on travelling, you don't book travel arrangements till you receive the Visa, they could say no and you lose the fares.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RC8 said:

One last question about the date of travel. If I apply for travel in July but cannot make it can the visa be used in August or September instead?

1 hour ago, jamie2009 said:

Your Visa is valid for 6 months from the date you said you were planning on travelling, you don't book travel arrangements till you receive the Visa, they could say no and you lose the fares.

The visa will start on the date of travel entered on the application or the date of issue; whichever is the later.

It will be valid for 6 months from it's start date. So if you delay entry to the UK, the length of time you can stay in the UK will reduce by that amount.

UKVI specifically advise applicants not to pay for travel until after they have their visa.

Remember that most airlines will not carry pregnant women after 36 weeks (32 if carrying twins). So she must leave the UK before then, otherwise she will be an overstayer.

Remember, too, that if she requires any NHS care while in the UK as a visitor, only initial emergency treatment in A & E, and a few other exceptions, will be free; everything else, including if she is admitted to hospital from A & E, will be charged at 150% of cost. If that bill remains unpaid any future UK visa application, including settlement, will be automatically refused until it is paid.

Take out insurance for her and make sure it covers any complications etc. due to her pregnancy and make sure she leaves the UK whilst still able to fly.

Edited by 7by7
  • Like 2

"I have no regular history of payments to my wife. I tend to just give her cash but there are some payments to her account."

This is not an issue, in the last 7 years I have done 6 UK visitor visas for my wife and have never submitted any information in respect of her finances. As someone else has said the most important document is the sponsor letter and you would be well advised to highlight your situation in Thailand.

When your wife goes to VFS she needs to be fairly confident with your itinerary, why you are going, where you will be staying and family relationships in the UK. Out of the 6 applications my wife has been questioned 4 times, the last being just a couple of weeks ago. We submitted on the 2nd and it was back in VFS on the 12th.

6 hours ago, sandyf said:

When your wife goes to VFS she needs to be fairly confident with your itinerary, why you are going, where you will be staying and family relationships in the UK. Out of the 6 applications my wife has been questioned 4 times, the last being just a couple of weeks ago

Questioned by whom?

VFS are merely handling agents; no one there has any right to ask such questions.

12 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Questioned by whom?

VFS are merely handling agents; no one there has any right to ask such questions.

You are free to hold any opinion you want, but not much help to the applicants.

1 minute ago, sandyf said:

You are free to hold any opinion you want, but not much help to the applicants.

Not an opinion; a fact.

VFS staff are not involved in the decision making process in any way, shape or form. They are not entitled to question applicants about their visit.

There have been posts on here saying that VFS staff have told applicants that certain documents are not needed with the application; only for the application to be refused because those documents are missing!

Surely it is very helpful to applicants to know what VFS do  and do not do?

Just now, 7by7 said:

Not an opinion; a fact.

VFS staff are not involved in the decision making process in any way, shape or form. They are not entitled to question applicants about their visit.

There have been posts on here saying that VFS staff have told applicants that certain documents are not needed with the application; only for the application to be refused because those documents are missing!

Surely it is very helpful to applicants to know what VFS do  and do not do?

It is an opinion because the fact of the matter is that questions do get asked and it would be beneficial for applicants to be able to answer.

Your western mentality does little to help matters. Thais are very reluctant to ever complain about how another Thai does their job or has the term 'loss of face' escaped you. Only the delusional would think an applicant is going to tell the VFS staff how to do their job.

I never mentioned documents so why bring it up.

23 minutes ago, sandyf said:

It is an opinion because the fact of the matter is that questions do get asked and it would be beneficial for applicants to be able to answer.

VFS staff may question applicants; but they are acting outside their remit if they do. That is a fact, not an opinion.

If VFS staff do question an applicant, it is up to them whether or not they answer. They are not obliged to do so.

Of course applicants should know what has been said in the application; it's their application!

There is a topic running about a refusal because the applicant gave different answers in their telephone interview by the visa section at the embassy to those entered in the application by there sponsor.

23 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Your western mentality does little to help matters. Thais are very reluctant to ever complain about how another Thai does their job or has the term 'loss of face' escaped you. Only the delusional would think an applicant is going to tell the VFS staff how to do their job

I have just shown this to my wife. Her response would break several forum rules were I to post it!

So I will simply say that we both find the superior, condescending attitude expressed in that remark appalling.

25 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I never mentioned documents so why bring it up.

Obviously, as it is another example of VFS staff acting outside their remit, to help future applicants reading this who may  be subject to the same.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2017 at 5:01 PM, 7by7 said:

VFS staff may question applicants; but they are acting outside their remit if they do. That is a fact, not an opinion.

If VFS staff do question an applicant, it is up to them whether or not they answer. They are not obliged to do so.

Of course applicants should know what has been said in the application; it's their application!

There is a topic running about a refusal because the applicant gave different answers in their telephone interview by the visa section at the embassy to those entered in the application by there sponsor.

I have just shown this to my wife. Her response would break several forum rules were I to post it!

So I will simply say that we both find the superior, condescending attitude expressed in that remark appalling.

Obviously, as it is another example of VFS staff acting outside their remit, to help future applicants reading this who may  be subject to the same.

VFS will do what they do and applicants will do what they are told, reality of Thailand.

Get off your soapbox and go and enjoy the UK sunshine, it does not last for long.

• 3 months later...

Update.

OK, i am now ready to apply.

Application form filled in and appointment with VFS Friday.

I have:

All 3 of her passports, she has been outside Thailand 15 times in the last 10 years. All for just a few days holiday (Singapore, Hong Kong, Macau, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Malaysia, Maldives).

My passport and previous passport. Previous passport got water damaged in May so some entry stamps are not legible. 

3 years of condo contracts in Bangkok, latest one expires Aug 2018.

Marriage cert and translation.

3 years P60 tax return from the UK (me)

3 months bank statements (me)

All 8 flight itineraries we have booked together in the last year, 6 internal, 1 KL and 1 Maldives.

1 pic of wedding, i have loads but not sure how many to submit.

Still to do:

Letter from me explaining our relationship and our itinerary in the UK. Going for just over 1 month and visiting family in Essex and day trips to London. May venture further afield by why complicate things in the letter!

Also explaining my job (work 2/3 offshore in the UK) and that I have been in Thailand every month for over 3 years. Its where we want to live and we have no intention of living in the UK (all true).

Letter from my parents inviting us/her to live with them.

Can anyone think of anything else to include?

As some of the Thai immigration stamps are illegible i could print out all the airline itineraries for the flights i have booked to Thailand for the past 3 years but its a lot of paper and not sure its worth it.

I have not included any of her bank details or the house she owns as its not really relevant. We don't live in her house and i provide the money.

You might want to check that your parents' letter doesn't actually invite you to "live" with them, as that could be read that you're planning to remain there!  Otherwise your list looks good to me.  I'll be applying for my wife's visa in the next few weeks, so it's always good to see what others include in their application.  Presumably your wife doesn't work but is totally supported by you?  Are your bank statements from a Thai or UK bank, and, if the latter, are they online statements?

15 hours ago, RC8 said:

I have not included any of her bank details or the house she owns as its not really relevant. We don't live in her house and i provide the money.

You may be sponsoring the trip, but in an emergency situation it's always good to prove she her own some funds to draw on.

I would include her last months bank statement.

Recently I've seen applications refused on the basis they don't believe the applicant will return as promised.

The main reasons to return are, job, children, home.

I would supply proof of her house ownership (even if she doesn't live there), as a reason to return.

On 9/26/2017 at 3:57 AM, brewsterbudgen said:

You might want to check that your parents' letter doesn't actually invite you to "live" with them, as that could be read that you're planning to remain there!  Otherwise your list looks good to me.  I'll be applying for my wife's visa in the next few weeks, so it's always good to see what others include in their application.  Presumably your wife doesn't work but is totally supported by you?  Are your bank statements from a Thai or UK bank, and, if the latter, are they online statements?

She did work until about March this year but gave it up because she was taking too much time off as we travel a lot.

Bank statements are from a UK bank and are online statements.

Hopefully this is acceptable?

I do have an account at Kbank but not much money. I tend to just transfer money to this account for monthly living expenses.

4 hours ago, RC8 said:

She did work until about March this year but gave it up because she was taking too much time off as we travel a lot.

Bank statements are from a UK bank and are online statements.

Hopefully this is acceptable?

I do have an account at Kbank but not much money. I tend to just transfer money to this account for monthly living expenses.

Bank statements must be originals, or online printed statements must be stamped by the bank.

Bank statements must be originals, or online printed statements must be stamped by the bank.

Is this new? They accepted print-outs of my online UK bank statements last year. If you're living in Thailand, getting original "stamped" bank statements from the UK is not straightforward.

4 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Is this new? They accepted print-outs of my online UK bank statements last year. If you're living in Thailand, getting original "stamped" bank statements from the UK is not straightforward.

Visitor: supporting documents guide

This guidance explains the documents you may need to provide in support of your application to visit the UK. 
All documents must be originals and not photocopies

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/549692/Visitor_Supporting_Documents_Guide_-_English_version.pdf

Visitor: supporting documents guide
This guidance explains the documents you may need to provide in support of your application to visit the UK. 
All documents must be originals and not photocopies

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/549692/Visitor_Supporting_Documents_Guide_-_English_version.pdf

Yes, but as experience has shown, print-outs of bank statements have been accepted. Hopefully the OP will update the thread with his result.