Best area / zone / neighborhood to live in CM

ALMAMASTER

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best place to live in Chiang Mai is at The Residences at The Four Seasons Resort.  It is quite a nice area within the Resort's property.  Beautiful garden, excellent facilities, health club, pool and restaurants, fine service.  Outside the property there are many nice options, just avoid the nutty horse.  There may be those who disagree with this but they most likely have never stayed a month or even a week there so they have no real basis for an opinion.

Would you like us to guess if you're a single retired gentleman, or a young family with children, and if you prefer a big space with a yard or city living, or..?  

I'll go ahead and make the assumptions for personal situation and lifestyle, but they won't be very flattering and will be a dig at destitute old sexpats more than helpful advice to you personally, so will let you chime in first.  :)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

32 minutes ago, ALMAMASTER said:

I'm still hoping to get an intelligent response to my question.  You know, things you like or dis like about the  area you live in ?

Dude, different people live in different areas for different reasons, families with young kids live near schools, sexpats live near Loi Kroh, would be rice farmers live out in the sticks - which are you, try helping out a little perhaps!

Please can a moderator shut this down before it turns into a 15 page pissfest.

Almamaster, live in Nimman. If you don't like it, move somewhere else. It's simple.

When you find somewhere you love buy a cheap condo and outfit it to your personal specs.

If you want most of what you need within walking distance(Mall, places to eat and a grocery store) then the area  around Huay Kaew Road and Nimmanhaemin could be ideal.  Both the Maya Mall and the much older Kad Suan Kaew Mall have places to eat and grocery stores(Tops and Rimping).  The negatives are heavy traffic and at time can be very noisy.  I

2 hours ago, donglingcha said:

Please can a moderator shut this down before it turns into a 15 page pissfest.

Almamaster, live in Nimman. If you don't like it, move somewhere else. It's simple.

When you find somewhere you love buy a cheap condo and outfit it to your personal specs.

LMFAO.  Before it gets closed (and I agree with you, but can't help myself) we love living in Doi Saket.  We don't live in a gated community, but have 2 rai (the tradeoff I suppose).  Downside is the 20 - 30 minute drive to Hang Dang for my kids' school.

How long is a piece of string.

All a matter of taste and personal opinion. One man's food is another's poison and so on.

One person coukd love something and the guy stood next to him hate it.

What you need to do is go look and experience things for yourself and make your own decision and not rely on "he said she said" for major decisions like where to live.

3 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

If you want most of what you need within walking distance(Mall, places to eat and a grocery store) then the area  around Huay Kaew Road and Nimmanhaemin could be ideal.  Both the Maya Mall and the much older Kad Suan Kaew Mall have places to eat and grocery stores(Tops and Rimping).  The negatives are heavy traffic and at time can be very noisy.  I

I am a fan of this area. Again knowing more about you would help.Your rather stingy on details. PM a few of the likable answers. 

Peace and quiet or action and buzz ?? 

Condo or house (or villa or estate) ?? 

Moobaan or stand alone ?? 

Driving / Car or walking / scooter ?? 

At different times in my stages of living in Thailand, I have valued very different things. Each of those variables changes where to put the pin. Now I value country, quiet, drive-ability, etc over access to bars and niman etc. I use a scoot in the city and truck outside. 

For that balance I like mae hia, hang dong, nahm preah, even along the samoeng road.. I could also handle Mae On, Doi Saket or some of Sansai.. Good roads in and out the city become more important when choosing this balance, I find theres little to do (bars restarants) around San Kampeang (or Doi saket) really but lots around hang dong mae hia.. From going out in the city two or three times a week I now have a city night out less than once a week, staying local in the villages more. 

7 hours ago, ALMAMASTER said:

I'm still hoping to get an intelligent response to my question.  You know, things you like or dis like about the  area you live in ?

The question you have posed, asking for the best area to live in and why is not an intelligent question.  There is no one best for everybody.  

I won't bother telling you what I like about where I live, you might become a neighbor and that would be a downer.

The Residences at The Four Seasons Resort

FOUR-BEDROOM RESIDENCE VILLA WITH POOL
from THB140,125
average per night

VIEW
Panoramic views of the mountains and countryside
BED OPTIONS
Three king and two twin beds

ROOM SIZE
855 (m2) 9,203 (sq.ft.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

TWO-BEDROOM FAMILY RESIDENCE WITH PLUNGE POOL

from THB54,964
average per night

VIEW
Gardens and mountains
BED OPTIONS
One king and two twin beds

ROOM SIZE
390 (m2) 4,195 (sq.ft.)

---------------------------------------

The first one is about US$4,100 a NIGHT. Or about US$123,600 per month. Maybe you can get something off for booking for few months at a time or a year. 

But then you are in a hotel. How real life is that? 

I think it's valid for others to ridicule you because you seem you want a serious answer, but fail to give ANY guidelines. 

Are you alone? Nimble and like the active life? Want land to garden in or just a place to shower and sleep? 

I wouldn't live in Niman if you paid me, but for some (particularly the elderly and less firm) it's ideal. 

You want to live in a box suspended from the ground with no places to park your bike and your car; no pets and no plants? Go for it. 

You want space to have a dog run around in? Go for it. 

You need a detached house for the servant? Go for it. 

But....you need to tell us what your requirements are. 

And by the way, do some hunting around; this topic has been asked and answered numerous times before. The information is there already. 

1 minute ago, Trujillo said:

The Residences at The Four Seasons Resort

FOUR-BEDROOM RESIDENCE VILLA WITH POOL
from THB140,125
average per night

VIEW
Panoramic views of the mountains and countryside
BED OPTIONS
Three king and two twin beds

ROOM SIZE
855 (m2) 9,203 (sq.ft.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

TWO-BEDROOM FAMILY RESIDENCE WITH PLUNGE POOL

from THB54,964
average per night

VIEW
Gardens and mountains
BED OPTIONS
One king and two twin beds

ROOM SIZE
390 (m2) 4,195 (sq.ft.)

---------------------------------------

The first one is about US$4,100 a NIGHT. Or about US$123,600 per month. Maybe you can get something off for booking for few months at a time or a year. 

But then you are in a hotel. How real life is that? 

I think it's valid for others to ridicule you because you seem you want a serious answer, but fail to give ANY guidelines. 

Are you alone? Nimble and like the active life? Want land to garden in or just a place to shower and sleep? 

I wouldn't live in Niman if you paid me, but for some (particularly the elderly and less firm) it's ideal. 

You want to live in a box suspended from the ground with no places to park your bike and your car; no pets and no plants? Go for it. 

You want space to have a dog run around in? Go for it. 

You need a detached house for the servant? Go for it. 

But....you need to tell us what your requirements are. 

And by the way, do some hunting around; this topic has been asked and answered numerous times before. The information is there already. 

You just wouldn't pay those prices, far better to buy outright and pay the monthly maintenance fee - I read a penthouse unit was available last month for 36 million, much better value.

1 minute ago, Trujillo said:

But if you want to spend that kind of money, get an actual house with all the trappings, not some prefab resort spread. And who wants neighbors so close?  

It was said tongue in cheek.

Since the OP requests help regarding relocation to Chiang Mai but will not help us help him; Here is the OP’s background based on his posts in other threads on TV!

(I am no good at making multi quotes from other threads!)

Quotes from the OP’s earlier posts asking for help;

Quote One;

Originally from the U.S.A. and still hold a valid passport from there, however I am in and have resided in Costa Rica for the past 11 years and have legal residency here. I am 60 years old. I am not going into all the details but I expect to have enough cash in the bank sometime in the future to meet the retirement visa requirements. I was hoping to live on about $800 a month for now, until I become eligible for Social Security, as well as earn some money working online, at which time that figure would go up.

Quote Two;

(I will) try and live in Thailand for the next year or two until such time as I am able to meet the requirements for a Retirement Visa.

From Other quotes;

Appears to have type two Diabetes and has asked about the costs of basic medication for its treatment.

I will make no further comment!

16 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Since the OP requests help regarding relocation to Chiang Mai but will not help us help him; Here is the OP’s background based on his posts in other threads on TV!

Quote One;

Originally from the U.S.A. and still hold a valid passport from there, however I am in and have resided in Costa Rica for the past 11 years and have legal residency here. I am 60 years old. I am not going into all the details but I expect to have enough cash in the bank sometime in the future to meet the retirement visa requirements. I was hoping to live on about $800 a month for now, until I become eligible for Social Security, as well as earn some money working online, at which time that figure would go up.

Quote Two;

(I will) try and live in Thailand for the next year or two until such time as I am able to meet the requirements for a Retirement Visa.

From Other quotes;

Appears to have type two Diabetes and has asked about the costs of basic medication for its treatment.

Maybe somewhere next to Chiangmai Ram Hospital then?

1 hour ago, scottiejohn said:

Quote One;

Quote Two;

From Other quotes;

He calls people dude... so, I am going to go with a guest house in the NE quadrant of the old city... I like this area too, but no suitable living quarters for me... lots of health food restaurants, backpackers, charming little streets... one of the quaintest areas of Thailand.... and lots of young dudes and dudessas from the Western World... English spoken here. 

8 hours ago, ALMAMASTER said:

Dude,  yea I get it dude. That's why I asked, what do you like, or not like, about the area you live in ?

That was not your original question, Dude.  It was your second, Dude.  When you finally realize it too is off the mark you may try a third, Dude.  If you try long enough you may get lucky and really get it, Dude.  But it is unlikely. Dude.

OK look, this has all been great fun but what say we give the OP a second chance?

OP: all past sins are now forgiven and we wont poke at you again, c'mon, tell us what you're looking for and perhaps we can help narrow it down for you, what do you say?

It depends on whether the OP is a city, suburban or country person.

I like Nong Hoi as an area which has most facilities. The accommodation in a condo with a swimming pool won't break the bank, average 10,000 per month. San Puloei and San Kamphaeng are the suburbs, again not expensive to rent, but a bit of a hike into town.

If the OP wants to get away from it all, places such as Samoeng or Mon Cham may suit.

Nimmanheiman is OK if you like the trendy end of CM.