Dirty Toilets In Restaurants

loong

Dirty Toilets in restaurants  

154 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I would suggest to the people who said they'd never return that if they are so sensitive to these things they might like to check out the bogs before eating as it's a little late otherwise.

Personally it don't bother me too much the state of the kahzies, as long as they are clean of p155 and sh1t, it's the quality of the food that's important. Many restaurants I have used throughout S.E. Asia have toilet facilities that wouldn't pass muster with UK health authorities but I've never gone down with anything too bad. Compare that with a couple of colleagues a few years back who were hospitalised after a breakfast at a four star hotel.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would suggest to the people who said they'd never return that if they are so sensitive to these things they might like to check out the bogs before eating as it's a little late otherwise.

Personally it don't bother me too much the state of the kahzies, as long as they are clean of p155 and sh1t, it's the quality of the food that's important. Many restaurants I have used throughout S.E. Asia have toilet facilities that wouldn't pass muster with UK health authorities but I've never gone down with anything too bad. Compare that with a couple of colleagues a few years back who were hospitalised after a breakfast at a four star hotel.

Speaking of which, I worked a summer job as a janitor at a 5-star national chain hotel in the USA while I was in college. I was in charge of windows, lobby floors and lobby-floor restrooms. One of the fringe benefits was to eat the lunch daily special offered free by the 5-star restaurant--eaten with the kitchen staff and other maintenance people at a table at the back of the kitchen. Wow, I ate the country's fanciest dishes during that summer. I learned new phrases like "Cordon Bleu" "mushrooms stuffed with veal", etc.

All that, OK, except that the kitchen was filthy. Months-old crud on the floor, and flies swarming in from an unscreened door at the back. Chefs running fingers through their greasy hair, and then arranging "medallions des carrottes" on 5-star-diner's plates. It was like a Seinfeld TV episode. Many times, I would rather have taken my lunch and eaten it on the toilet in one of my freshly-cleaned restrooms. :o

OK, so SE Asia is still a far cry from our dirty 5-star USA kitchen. (really?). And the only time in my life I made exception to the dirty-toilet/dirty-kitchen rule!

Edited by toptuan

OK, so SE Asia is still a far cry from our dirty 5-star USA kitchen.

Ever been to Indonisia?

Check out the kitchens/loos there for a stomach-disturbing experience...

yeah...I'd agree in most places in Jakarta. However, I was inna bog in a lowkey roadside restaurant up by the Puncak Pass and was surprised at the cleanliness...had expected to barf along with other discharges...

If there is no soap in the toilet you can rest assured that the owner of the business is English. :o

What gets me is that little rag they hang up on a nail in the wall and call a hand towel. It looks like a mechanics oil rag and finding a dry spot on it is impossible. :D

Its obviously frequented by aussies.

Theyve nicked the soap, and the rag for drying is to make them feel at home :D:D

• 1 year later...
If there is no soap in the toilet you can rest assured that the owner of the business is English. :o

What gets me is that little rag they hang up on a nail in the wall and call a hand towel. It looks like a mechanics oil rag and finding a dry spot on it is impossible. :D

Theyve nicked the soap, and the rag for drying is to make them feel at home :D:D

That little rag is for wiping up after a dribbling dick, didn't you know?

You re-activated a thread that was dead for one and a half years for this "crap"? :D

Edited by jstumbo

I usually go to a restaurant for the food--the toilet is not of much interest to me. If I like the restaurant I continue to go there; if I don't like the toilet, I go at home. Most places the sinks are outside of the toilet, so you can still wash your hands.

Generally, the toilets in Thailand are pretty clean. After China some years back, believe me, I can tolerate pretty much anything.

You re-activated a thread that was dead for one and a half years for this "crap"? :D

:D Anyone who thinks the towel is for drying your hands is sadly mistaken. I posted a bit of advice meant to help others avoid pitfalls they may encounter along the way. What's a message board for? Is it only here for to jacking *ff a couple of thousand posts? One of the services it provides is to act as a watering hole where fellow travelers or expats can read or post advice and warnings.

A message board doing restaurant reviews and providing pics of the bogs is doing their members and guests a service, I say.

Indeed. Any person taking the time to post reviews and pics of the bogs has the welfare and interests of others in mind. I consider them to be civic-minded and a local hero. :D

Not just restaurants, you gat what you pay for.

Worst toilet I've ever had the misfortune to see was the staff toilet in The Hilton Singapore.

You don't always get what you pay for.

Xheers

• 1 month later...

bogok9.jpg

Now here is a pic of an establishment in Jomtien. I didn't get permission from the place to post this so no names given. Wouldn't you feel happy to use these facilities? Use the bog and be at ease the rest of the evening. No need to rush home. Maybe even order dessert.

Generally speaking... I find the loos in LOS are as clean or cleaner than in Australia... and I don't frequent places that are better than 3-star 'cos I find so many to be soul-less. Obviously, I need glasses or I'm just lucky.

As for the soap I never use it unless from a liquid soap dispenser... I prefer to rely on my own hygiene rather than the last guy who used the soap before - yuk - lather his left over bugs on my hands??? It makes me shudder to think about using soap that's beeen lying around a lav for weeks;-(

The first bar in Sukhumvit Soi 7 solved the dirty toilet problem by eliminating it. People learned after a while that the French owner was not into hygiene after peeing on their feet as the urine spilled onto the floor from the broken urinal. I have to go there sometimes to meet with friends but common sense dictates ordering only bottled beer. Since the no smoking law went into effect flies in large numbers are buzzing around constantly so you should keep the top of your bottled beer covered at all times. The place is next to an outdoor fresh fish restaurant which diverts the flies from time to time.

My personal opinion is that if you begin thinking about hygiene and proper food preparation you will not eat out so often. I'm cursed with some powers of observation and curiosity so I watch what is going on around me. It is a big mistake. Coughing and sneezing on our food is the custom. These servers do not suspend there search for hard mucous just because they are working a shift at a restaurant. How they get more than one finger up their nose is beyond me. Soap, toilet paper and hand washing are just a dream. In Thailand, judging from the sounds, there are some strange goings on in the toilet stalls in even the best of restaurants. When you see the employee rush back to his food station from a dirty toilet it may be time to go back to simply drinking your dinner. Lastly, washing fresh vegetables in dirty water doesn't do us one bit of good. The exception to this would be constipation. Nothing cleans you out faster than fresh restaurant bacteria.

think everybody should backpack india and then you know the meaning of dirty revolting toilets and hygene in general.

too true.

compared with india , thailand is heaven , most people who have spent any time travelling in india have a good toilet tale.

heres mine.

one guest house in ladakh , the toilet was on the first floor above a barn where pigs were kept , the toilet was just a big square hole in the floor and you had to excrete through it , the pigs would wait expectantly and come snuffling around the hole as soon as anyone entered the toilet , their snouts were about a foot below , but you could feel their breath on your backside.

hmmm Ladakh - how many people even know that this place exists?

But this is not the way!

"I've seen places they were much worse.. then...!"

I know of one rather popular place here in Chaweng/Ko Samui, if I don't have to I usually don't go to Restaurant toilets.

The day I had to visit this sh_thole, I knew that I will never return!

Exactly as other have written, if the Toilet is so dirty how must be all the other operations?

Remember we talking Restaurant Toilets in Thailand, not in the amazon!

Unless it is a very cheap and run down place, o.k. not much to expect, but if it is a place, doing well, cashing in on the tourist trade - the place mentioned for does so for years and you have to face... a toilet which is below basic..that is for me it!

Reason? They do make money on the spending of their customers - hence there could be a little bit more attention spared for something like a hygienic toilet.

How much for a bucket of paint, a brush, some 2-3 m2 of tiles and good will comes for free!

I hear you Samuian. Now take a look at this W/C.

bogok9.jpg

Look at the toilet. What do you see? That's right a floor mat which keeps your trousers from getting wet while you have a seat. It's that extra attention to details which distinguishes a proprietor who benefits his customers.

Generally speaking... I find the loos in LOS are as clean or cleaner than in Australia... and I don't frequent places that are better than 3-star 'cos I find so many to be soul-less. Obviously, I need glasses or I'm just lucky.

As for the soap I never use it unless from a liquid soap dispenser... I prefer to rely on my own hygiene rather than the last guy who used the soap before - yuk - lather his left over bugs on my hands??? It makes me shudder to think about using soap that's beeen lying around a lav for weeks;-(

I know a person who has anti-bacterial nappies sent over. He carries them along and wipes down everything beforehand. Then there are others who feel if they can jump in the sack with a Soi 6 gal or one of those girls along the Nakula way then what the hel_l can a dirty W/C do harm to?

Edited by aughie

Dirty Toilets In Restaurants, Do they bother you?

they don't. i don't frequent restaurants and if i do i don't even think using their toilets.

So your wife can cook?

she can but she doesn't. cooking is done by our cook :o