Chalong Circle Underpass

alansiporin

We saw about 10 workers each side of the project yesterday, 4 working and 16 watching

On the Choafa west side there has been no progress in the hole they are digging in the last 2 weeks

Cannot rush the job with the amount of money they are charging to do it, can they

12 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

There are now workers present every day, not like before.

You can see visual progress on each side, but, they haven't started the difficult bit, yet, the tunneling.

haha, they wait for the rain to start to soften the soil.

Concrete has finally been poured on a very small sloped section. It took about 3 weeks just to get the rebar in place. Widening & making a good road surface beside the construction zone would go a long way towards smoother traffic flow.

I think some of you are being unfair.

I haven't watched a project done by UK or Euro/US workers in a long time but the speed at which the guys at Chalong have cut back the East side, South of the Circle, and placed the footings for ?electricity poles with streetlights, has been quite rapid and efficient. I pass there often.

Not much happening in the middle, it's true.

Who knows how they'll handle traffic flow when they start excavating the underpass. Obviously they won't be tunneling, just digging a big trench but the disruption may/will be significant.

Are they still waiting for some landowners to sell, so that they can widen more of the road?

• 2 weeks later...

News today from the head honcho:

“However, construction of the Chalong underpass has run into some difficulties. We are in the process of negotiating with land owners in the area. After that, we will be able to clear out electric poles and carry on with our work. At the moment, we cannot give an exact deadline as to when it will all be finished,” he added.

So let me guess.....maybe 2020 lol.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, schlog said:

News today from the head honcho:

“However, construction of the Chalong underpass has run into some difficulties. We are in the process of negotiating with land owners in the area. After that, we will be able to clear out electric poles and carry on with our work. At the moment, we cannot give an exact deadline as to when it will all be finished,” he added.

So let me guess.....maybe 2020 lol.

Maybe the geniuses should have negotiated with the land owners before starting construction? Naw, that would have taken some common sense... 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
19 hours ago, baker said:

North side of the circle (outside Home Pro village) looks like it is deserted. No more big machinery and workers there lately...

Looks like the progress at the moment is 0

I have not seen any workers on either side for a while now. Maybe has to with the "negotiations".

• 3 months later...

And here we are halfway thru October, and very little further progress. Digging a trench through the circle without closing traffic is a feat I'm not looking forward to watching.

Anyone want to hazard a guess on the actual completion date for this monstrosity?

• Sad 1

Wonder why they allowed a new building to go up on the corner going from Choa Fa West to East, It has a ridiculous sharp end protruding out which negates any chance of having a nice wide left hand turn.

Edited by Valentine
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Valentine said:

Wonder why they allowed a new building to go up on the corner going from Choa Fa West to East, It has a ridiculous sharp end protruding out which negates any chance of having a nice wide left hand turn.

Just yesterday even my wife commented on that new building as we went through th circle.  Looks like they are taking down one side and new build other side ... crazy

I rarely see the Chaofa East side so hadn't seen this new construction. I'd assumed that whole complex of shops would be demolished in order to create a larger turning area and wondered why they weren't doing this whilst idly waiting for the land acquisition. Now I know.

21 hours ago, madmitch said:

I rarely see the Chaofa East side so hadn't seen this new construction. I'd assumed that whole complex of shops would be demolished in order to create a larger turning area and wondered why they weren't doing this whilst idly waiting for the land acquisition. Now I know.

Even now it is slightly larger but is mainly used by motorbikes trying to get to the front & turn right.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2017 at 2:58 PM, Tapster said:

If you really want to have something to complain about, consider living in your home country. Otherwise, please enjoy Thailand and its ways.

Excellent advice for the many Thai business owners in Rawai who are seeing their livelihoods directly impacted, in what's shaping up to be one of the worst high-seasons in many a year...   

1 hour ago, RedCardinal said:

Excellent advice for the many Thai business owners in Rawai who are seeing their livelihoods directly impacted, in what's shaping up to be one of the worst high-seasons in many a year...   

How many of those business owners are reading TVF?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, RedCardinal said:

Are you suggesting that because Thais don't read TVF that somehow changes reality?

C'mon.......don't be obtuse.

You know that what he meant was that the "good advice" that you pointed out, won't reach people that are not on this forum.

Thought that was obvious......

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RedCardinal said:

Are you suggesting that because Thais don't read TVF that somehow changes reality?

No, I am suggesting that since you mentioned it was an excellent advice for many Thai business owners.

At the moment I don't think it is shaping up to be the worst high season in many a year, but that may change.

Edited by stevenl

• 3 weeks later...