Bangkok bounty hunters! Report motorcycles on sidewalk and get a share of the fine!

webfact

The bike in the picture is parked under a set of stairs. What is wrong with that? I know there are inconsiderate jerks who park the bikes or ride in stupid places, but this will create inconsiderate jerks who go after people who reasonable park their bikes in out of the way places. 

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, PremiumLane said:

Here is a novel idea, how about parking areas and spaces for motorbikes - cos sometimes parking on the pavement is the only space there is...

Well, I can't park my car in front of any spot I wish to visit e.g. 7/11, so why should you be allowed to just because "there isn't space to park". Do what I do: drive/ride to a place where there IS parking (side soi, paid parking area) and WALK. :wink:

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

I have seen police riding on the footpath on may occasions, as well

as those motorcycle taxis parked by the dozens,

why don't they start from there?...or are they exempt?....

Take their photo and send it in along with a Facebook report.That should get a response.

Now they want the public to do their job for them, whilst keeping part of the taxpayer-funded fine.

How much time do they suppose the oft inconvenienced public has, to take pictures of every motorcycle parked/riding on the pavement?

Time to get off their collective a___se and go out and find them.Surprisingly, they are not difficult to miss, often parking en masse, such as outside of 72 in Thonglor at the end of the week.

Nobody likes a "rat" (grass) but if they did the same for motorbikes with no lights.....I would report them myself. For the life of me I cannot understand the mentality of riding bikes with no lights at night time, ....motorbikes, motorbikes with sidecars and bicycles.

It's bad enough when they are driving on their proper side of the road, but daily and nightly I have them driving sgainst me on the treatreous Sukhumvit Rd. going in and out of Bang Saray.

Come on....how expensive is a bulb? They relay on the motorist to drive carefully and not kill them.....but they won't even bother to buy a bulb in an effort to save their own lives?

21 minutes ago, wlcart said:

The bike in the picture is parked under a set of stairs. What is wrong with that? I know there are inconsiderate jerks who park the bikes or ride in stupid places, but this will create inconsiderate jerks who go after people who reasonable park their bikes in out of the way places. 

'... this will create inconsiderate jerks who go after people who reasonable park their bikes in out of the way places.'

And, in your considered opinion, how many of those do you really think there are? The vast majority put the same thought into their parking that they do into their riding - zero.

Is this only targeted at motorcycles? Which is more dangerous, cars parking illegally

blocking the view of other motorists and a motorcycle parked under a foot bridges steps?

I believe cars parking illegally adds to the number of motorcycle deaths for obvious reasons.

illegally parked4.png

Oh, new fulltime jobs are going to be created and even less unemployed! Very smart. Very whichever Ministery to report that indeed.

Seeing how they can't be bothered to actually just increase the monetary fine to a level where it hurts and get less offernders that route, they choose to pitch citizens against each other to deflect from their shitty reputation. This is evil "genius" level of asshattery. So long as the police doesn't need to do their job I guess...

3 hours ago, fforest1 said:

I think pedestrians should be banned from using the sidewalks

so the sidewalks are safe for motorbikes...

Careful, it will catch on soon enough

5 hours ago, rkidlad said:

I'm used to motorbikes riding on the pavements. I don't agree with it and I'd love to see them being fined, but I'm totally used to having to be aware of them on pavements. 

The other day I'm walking and I can feel a motorbike is behind me. I'm walking though a narrow gap where the bike can't go around me. Now, I'm not stopping and stepping to the side to allow the bike through. The rider can wait til I'm through and then go past. But no! The woman on the bike honked at me. I rarely get angry but that really p***** off. I turned around and pointed at the pavement. I shouted in Thai "this is for people walking and you're not allowed to ride on it" which is 100% correct. She just apologised and sped off. 

I'm used to bikes on the pavement, but I get very annoyed when they speed or think they have right of way.

Riding bikes on the pavement is illegal. There are signs warning of 5000 Baht fines. It's dangerous and inconsiderate of others. 

So, don't get p***** off again when somebody honks you again if like driving on side walks!

I see that there is an issue with 'intelligent flexibility'...  or call it discretion if you like... 

Some areas off the side of the roads; pavement / sidewalk have sufficient space for Motorcycle parking. 

I see nothing wrong with allowing motorcycles to park in 'marked areas' where there is space. 

We could also have marked areas for Motorcycle Taxi parking.

There is an issue on many subsoi's where the motorcycles are parking on the roads effectively turning a two way road into a one way road exacerbating traffic woes. 

I would like to see the authorities apply an intelligent response rather than a blanket ban. 

Permit parking on paved roads where there is ample space, mark those areas with motorcycle parking bays

Provide an adequate area of marked parking for motorcycle taxi's.

Encourage business's / multistory carparks to offer free parking for motorcycles (if not already). 

Do not allow parking on the streets where the flow of traffic is impacted - Paint the curbs red & White.

Do not allow parking on the pavement outside marked areas - provide consistent enforcement.

Strictly enforce against motorcycles riding on pavements. 

Riding on the pavement when there is ample space available MIGHT be all right, if the road is congested. I do it sometimes. I got caught 2 times, fine was 500 baht, but the time saved was well worth the small "fee".

Now, hopping on a crowded sidewalk and honking at pedestrians is plain rude and disrespectful. This is the kind of people that should be fined.

7 minutes ago, SiamBeast said:

Riding on the pavement when there is ample space available MIGHT be all right, if the road is congested. I do it sometimes. I got caught 2 times, fine was 500 baht, but the time saved was well worth the small "fee".

Now, hopping on a crowded sidewalk and honking at pedestrians is plain rude and disrespectful. This is the kind of people that should be fined.

I'm not so sure about that. In areas where the pavement has few pedestrians allowing sufficient space to ride a motorcycle,the speeds of the motorcycles will increase placing the pedestrians at greater risk. 

At the moment I am unable to confidently walk down a pavement with my 3 year old, either holding his hand or with him in a push-chair. With a push-chair we invariably have to navigate into the road as the pavement is blocked with parked bikes. But, not only parked bikes, but power boxes, telephone boxes, street signs, trees... a whole multitude of 'stuff' makes many pavements unnavigable by foot !!!... 

I'm all for freeing up the pavements so that Wheelchair users and push-chair 'pushers' can use them without impedance.... make the pavements safe for pedestrians. This means, No Riding on Pavements at all. 

Will I require a work permit?. Not fair for the citizens of Bangkok only to be able share in this bonanza how about Chiang Mai second biggest city after the "Seat of Power" I just opened a new box of cereal. Wonder if it has a tin deputy sheriff badge inside. 

8 hours ago, webfact said:

The scheme is currently under the consideration of the Bangkok Metropolitan Authority who are getting tough on motorcycles.

Oh Oh the word consideration is now cropping up hmm implementation date possibly after the election 

5 hours ago, rkidlad said:

I'm used to motorbikes riding on the pavements. I don't agree with it and I'd love to see them being fined, but I'm totally used to having to be aware of them on pavements. 

The other day I'm walking and I can feel a motorbike is behind me. I'm walking though a narrow gap where the bike can't go around me. Now, I'm not stopping and stepping to the side to allow the bike through. The rider can wait til I'm through and then go past. But no! The woman on the bike honked at me. I rarely get angry but that really p***** off. I turned around and pointed at the pavement. I shouted in Thai "this is for people walking and you're not allowed to ride on it" which is 100% correct. She just apologised and sped off. 

I'm used to bikes on the pavement, but I get very annoyed when they speed or think they have right of way.

Riding bikes on the pavement is illegal. There are signs warning of 5000 Baht fines. It's dangerous and inconsiderate of others. 

Unenforced signs are really window dressing. I guess the lady on the bike was used to people moving aside for her. Good on you to talk back to her and show her the law. Caught er flat footed and of course she backed down. A man now a young one might have played it differently. 

I realise the problem and it needs to be stopped. However some planning by those in authority could also help. Sat Huay Khwang MRT there is a now boarded up area for some construction work where the motorbikes used to park. It is now motorbike chaos. And yet there is an area that is taped off by plastic tape that could easily accomodate the overflow . This area has been taped off forever. There is no apparent reason and couldmore than help accomodate the overflow. There is a simple thing called problem analysis but that is never applied. So where are the excess motorbikes being parked??? Anywhere they can find a space. Honestly it is not hard to improve the problem if only someone had some common sense. Oh sorry .

6 hours ago, rkidlad said:

"I'm not stopping and stepping to the side to allow the bike through".

What I do in that situation is stop, pull out my phone, then pretend I have received a call, he then pumps his horn, so I ignore him for a little while, then approach him with a smile on my face and say in Thai "can I help you"? and then start pumping his horn for him.:shock1:

5 hours ago, fforest1 said:

I think pedestrians should be banned from using the sidewalks

so the sidewalks are safe for motorbikes...

Yes, and then ban them these same pedestrians from using the roads, so the roads are safe for cars, buses etc.

4 hours ago, realenglish1 said:

Easy resolution When a motorcycle driver is on a foot path and wants to pass you Just kick the  bike over. Common you know you want to do it 

If it was a lone male motor cyclist, I would if I knew I would get away with it, I mean not get in trouble with the law.

4 hours ago, Kabula said:

If Thai husbands are killing their families over jealousy that has been reported in the news repeatedly; what will they do to a foreigner that reports them to the Police over illegal parking and has their transportation impounded.

That is the job for the Police, not the public in my opinion.

The reward is not worth the risk!

How will they know who reported them? Besides, the police would never catch any criminal without the publics help, except those caught in the act.

4 hours ago, barrywells said:

Does anyone know the email address to send the photos for Whattana district, Klong Toey? Although I suspect photoing motorcyclists on the foot path might be tantamount to suicide.

No, the registration numbers are on the back of the bike, and they have no reverse gear.:cheesy:

1 hour ago, natway09 said:

No thanks, I am very happy not to get my head pushed in !!!!!!

You may get your head "pushed in" anyway if you get in the way of these morons riding on the footpath.