UK stops sharing information on Manchester attack with United States after leaks - BBC

webfact

UK stops sharing information on Manchester attack with United States after leaks - BBC

REUTERS

r12.jpg

A tribute to the victims of the Manchester Arena attack is displayed at Times Square in New York City, New York, U.S., May 24, 2017. REUTERS/Shannon Stapleton

LONDON (Reuters) - British police have stopped sharing information about a suicide bombing in Manchester with U.S. authorities following leaks of details of the investigation that has angered the government, the BBC said on Thursday.

The British government and police force have criticised the leaks which they say could undermine their investigation into the killing of 22 people at a concert on Monday.

The BBC did not give a source for its report.

(Reporting by Alistair Smout; editing by Guy Faulconbridge)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-05-25

4 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Yeah, right :saai:.

Or perhaps they know the public is stupid enough to believe that useful information that comes to light re. terrorists, will not be shared with the Americans.....

It's not the sharing of the information with the Yanks but them opening their months when they should keep quiet which has caused the problem

23 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Or perhaps they know the public is stupid enough to believe that useful information that comes to light re. terrorists, will not be shared with the Americans.....

Why WOULD they share the information when they know it's going to be leaked to the media and undermine the investigation?

2 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

Its obviously an intelligence leak…not from the white house.

the same intelligence community that leaks sensitive stuff about their own chief executive.

ferret them out and fire em.

I agree 100% there can't possibly be any intelligence leaking out of the white house. ?

TH 

4 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

the same intelligence community that leaks sensitive stuff about their own chief executive.

Ferret them out and, if it's criminal acts, prosecute them. It's about time leaky heads rolled in the US.

The tone for how the government operates is set by the President and this President has played fast and lose with intelligence information.   

In the past, intelligence information was circulated in a very tight-lipped circle.   There have been big changes in personnel and most likely little supervision or direction of front-line staff.   

I certainly do not blame the UK for this move.    I am sure several other countries, including the Israeli's will be holding their cards much closer to their chest.

Loose lips sink ships.

I am afraid the intelligence services were correct to be skeptical about sharing the intelligence briefings with Trump when he was President-elect.   

1 hour ago, Credo said:

I am afraid the intelligence services were correct to be skeptical about sharing the intelligence briefings with Trump when he was President-elect.   

The "intelligence services" you extol are the ones doing the leaking, not Trump.

5 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

So, there's a sensitive data leak AND IT'S NOT FROM TRUMP ?!   Hip hip hooray for Trump.

That shows what a low bar we've set for Trump.  It's like when he gives a speech and doesn't say something ridiculous, ....half the press corps and all Republican politicians shout 'he was sooooo presidential today!'

Posts which refer to news items as fake news have been removed along with replies.   Continue to label news as fake because you do not agree with it will result in suspensions.  

If you have nothing to add to the discussion, stop trolling.  

1 hour ago, iReason said:

:blink:  Heresay?

"I needed video and accompanying audio of the actual leaker performing the leak"

Here it is from the leaker in chief:

It's all from the inept fool in the White House's own words along with official transcripts.

Video and all.

And NSA McMaster.

Read much?

Lest we forget, your whole philosophy on mainstream news re: fake news is based on MSM footnotes.

On May 16, 2017 at 0:44 AM,  MaxYakov said: 

I spend as little time as possible on the MSM and it has to be a video of the person at issue, not some second-hand version of what Trump had allegedly said. and I, hopefully, don't have to resort to the MSM for what I want.

You seem to have this weird idea that because a claim is "reported on" that it is not reported in a way that influences the reader (spin) or any number of any characteristics in this list (courtesy wiki "fake news"):

Alternative facts, Big lie, Circular sourcing, Deception, Doublespeak ,Echo chamber, Euphemistic misspeaking, Euromyth, False flag ,Factoid, Fallacy, Fake news by country, online ,Filter bubble, Gaslighting, Half-truth Hoax, Ideological framing, Internet manipulation, Media manipulation, Post-truth ,Propaganda, Quote mining, Scientific fabrication, Social bot, Spin, Yellow journalism

You completely contradict yourself by supplying links or data that have footnotes entirely comprised of, (wait for it)

The Main Stream Media.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_facts#References

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fake_news_by_country#References

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fake_news#References

It appears you spend a lot of time on the MSM. Ain't no videos in there either.

Quoting your post: ":blink:  Heresay?"

I'm deducing (since you misspelled it) that you're complaining about the spelling rather than my usage of the word so you may want to check a dictionary for "hearsay" [link].

Quoting you again:

"You seem to have this weird idea that because a claim is "reported on" that it is not reported in a way that influences the reader (spin) or any number of any characteristics in this list (courtesy wiki "fake news"):"

Where did you get an idea like that?

As far as Wiki being MSM, I don't consider Wiki as a source of news (as is implicit in the acronym MSM). Many of Wiki's non-political and non-biographical entries I've found to be reliable (at least plausible, but it is not to be trusted for some information, of course) and I've never used it much as a source of news (although it can be in a limited way).

I first learned about  yellow journalism in high school in relation to how it influenced the initiation of the Spanish American War. And it wasn't just "spin". 

US Diplomacy and Yellow Journalism, 1895-1998 - U.S. State Department Office of the Historian [link]

PS: I read a lot. Probably too much, but I try to be very critical no matter what the source.

Edited by MaxYakov

Fake news is actually a real phenomena. But it can and has been spewed by some at every opportunity to avoid debate ect. ( but not sure if that warrants suspensions). Anyway back on topic, the Brits will continue to share intelligence with the US just not with certain authorities methinks. The Manchester police on the ground may now hold on to certain info a tad longer than usual until the leak problem is resolved.

7 hours ago, MaxYakov said:

Quoting you again:

"You seem to have this weird idea that because a claim is "reported on" that it is not reported in a way that influences the reader (spin) or any number of any characteristics in this list (courtesy wiki "fake news"):"

Where did you get an idea like that?

:blink: That's your quote from your post.

You see this just above it? :

Hopeless...

2 hours ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

Fake news is actually a real phenomena. But it can and has been spewed by some at every opportunity to avoid debate ect. ( but not sure if that warrants suspensions). Anyway back on topic, the Brits will continue to share intelligence with the US just not with certain authorities methinks. The Manchester police on the ground may now hold on to certain info a tad longer than usual until the leak problem is resolved.

Yes I can see the info still been shared but NOT until we have finished with it.  That way no one (the US) can mess things up with the ongoing investigation 

1 hour ago, iReason said:

:blink: That's your quote from your post.

You see this just above it? :

Hopeless...

And so it may be. You never answered the question did you? Or maybe you did. This thread is getting so mangled with the deletions and edited replies and dearth of multi-quote replies so that a dialogue can be easily followed.

Just like you could not confirm the correct spelling of "hearsay" either.

Be careful with your insults. Things seem be getting a little touchy over the terminology and such issues.

Edited by MaxYakov

21 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

If information is shared with the US in confidence then this should be respected by the US and not blurted out to the world. Seems that not only Trump is giving away sensitive information to enemies i.e. where US submarines are currently located. The whole US security system seems to be leaking like a sieve. Do they not understand that allied countries will all be evealuating whether information and if so what information will be shared with the US. The policy of openness with the US will end.

Mr.Prezzy, you have yourself made a big blunder telling folk about your "hidden" munitions, which was daft, now try and make amends by routing out your "blabberer" and get them the sack,  who ever it is or whom he works for cos your stuff is beginning to look totally daft...:sad:

Some bloke yesterday told me the USA was the dominant country, well regarding dominant security I question it's dominance.......:coffee1: 

1 hour ago, transam said:

Some bloke yesterday told me the USA was the dominant country, well regarding dominant security I question it's dominance.......:coffee1: 

So dominate that it's leader elbows his way past other world leaders just to make sure he is centre stage for a photo op.

Got to watch... http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/trumps-first-foreign-trip/president-trump-throws-his-weight-around-nato-summit-n764731

Edited by Basil B

Maybe time to consider hard what information is shared... 

UK stabbed in the back by America  ...again.

There have been many arrests in the UK and probably many just arrested as witnesses to get them into a controlled system that their memory of events is not clouded by hearsay, speculation and leaked news.

22 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

Yes I agree too.  Can you imagine Trump sharing sensitive information with the Russians.  THAT would never happen, right!

The sharing of intelligence has been re-instated after assurances from the security services in the US that a leak will not occur again.  Trump also waffled on about investigating the leak but everyone knows he has no influence on anything and that was pretty much ignored.

5 hours ago, Basil B said:

Maybe time to consider hard what information is shared... 

UK stabbed in the back by America  ...again.

There have been many arrests in the UK and probably many just arrested as witnesses to get them into a controlled system that their memory of events is not clouded by hearsay, speculation and leaked news.

Yes the arrests are great, its amazing what you can achieve when you dont tell the US anything :cheesy: :coffee1:

Edited by Caps

Given that the relentlessly "progressive" New York Times was the recipient of the leak, it seems fairly clear that nobody on President Trump's side of the aisle would have leaked it to them.

The conclusion has to be that there are people towards the top of US intelligence who are actively attempting to undermine the President, which is not a great state of affairs, no matter what you think about the man.