New passport - who needs to know

Not sure what forum to put this question in.

short while ago was renewing our annual accident insurance at our bank when the clerk noticed we had new passports, she asked if we had advised the bank to which I replied with a no and is it important and she replied with a yes, all we had to do was was sign the appropriate form and she did the rest so absolutely no hassle.

then on our way home it occurred to me that my Thai driving licence has my old passport number as my id and for all I know other documents might also. 

So my question is is it important to notify licence office etc of the change or simply done at renewal time.

• Like 1

I assume that you have registered/transferred with immigration already.

Driving license is not that urgent, you could wait until renewal.

But make sure that you always have old and new passport with you at the office.

Immigration

Bank(s)

DLT

(Revenue Service/Tax office)

That's all which comes to my mind (I got a new passport last year).

Of course there could be individual matters which I am not aware.

Where have you ever shown your passport?

If you have a Thai bank passbook you would be advised to make sure they have your new and valid passport number in your customer database

Otherwise  if your Thai bank passport is lost or stolen, you may have big problems when you report that lost or stolen passbook to the police.

Take this from someone who lost a Bangkok bank passbook with 550K baht in it.

The bank passbook is identified as yours by your passport number, if that passport number is not valid, you will have big problems getting them to identify that passbook as yours.

Fortunately, when I I got a new U.S. passport I notified Bangkok Bank and they changed my passport number in their database to my new passport number.

Thanks both, yes I should have said I had done the needful with immigration a couple of days after getting new passport and have done both 90 day and annual extension since. As for the bank it did occur to me on leaving the bank that if i needed to prove identification at any time with the bank and they asked for my passport number i would naturally give them my new one which wouldn't tally with their records and the following probable hassles.

I will leave my Driving licence until renewal time and assume that my phone sim registration doesn't need changing, how about my blue book for the car although I'm about to get a new car, apart from these i cannot think of any other time my passport has had any official usage.

Thanks again.

39 minutes ago, IMA_FARANG said:

If you have a Thai bank passbook you would be advised to make sure they have your new and valid passport number in your customer database

Otherwise  if your Thai bank passport is lost or stolen, you may have big problems when you report that lost or stolen passbook to the police.

Take this from someone who lost a Bangkok bank passbook with 550K baht in it.

The bank passbook is identified as yours by your passport number, if that passport number is not valid, you will have big problems getting them to identify that passbook as yours.

Fortunately, when I I got a new U.S. passport I notified Bangkok Bank and they changed my passport number in their database to my new passport number.

excellent point: i do wonder tho; consider you somehow managed to lose Both the passbook and old passport: surely the consulate can link the new and old passports ?!

One more occasion where the passport was used: SIM card registration.

But honestly: I would not do anything about it as long as the SIM (phone) works.

EDIT: just seen that I overlooked another post referring to this.