10 impounded super cars were stolen cars from abroad

snoop1130

10 impounded super cars were stolen cars from abroad

IMG_1662.png

About 10 of the super cars out of over 100 impounded by the Department of Special Investigation Department last week for suspected tax evasions were reported stolen from abroad and sold to buyers in Thailand by transnational carjacking gangs.

DSI director-general Pol Col Paisit Wongmuang told the media on Thursday that his office had received information from its foreign counterparts that as many as 10 of the super cars seized by the DSI last week from grey market car show rooms in Bangkok had been reported to have been stolen from their owners.

DSI officials continued their hunt for tax-dodging super cars by visiting several car show rooms. About 20 cars suspected to have under-declared their actual import prices to dodge paying higher import taxes were impounded for further examination.

Full Story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/10-impounded-super-cars-stolen-cars-abroad/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-5-25

Oooh.

The plot thickens...

Next, we're going to hear how many were stolen from their Thai owners living abroad (members of families that own super car dealerships?), who were fully compensated by their insurance companies.  (Or maybe not...)  This could get good.

Edited by impulse

1 hour ago, stubuzz said:

Shouldn't customs and the ministry of transport  have picked up on this when they arrived and were registered?

ahhh; you are asking them to do their jobs !! that interferes with incompetence and payoffs

1 hour ago, stubuzz said:

Shouldn't customs and the ministry of transport  have picked up on this when they arrived and were registered?

Yep. Everything from reggie to insurance has to start with Customs releasing the vehicle declared as "duty paid." Hmmm. I wonder how these cars made it onto the streets? 

2 hours ago, stubuzz said:

Well said, and not only this subject?

Some quick analysis of many 'news' items / many subjects reveals the same point - why aren't the appropriate officials continuously monitoring matters which fall under their responsibility (doing what they are being paid to do - the reason for existence of their jobs), and take immediate actions? 

Edited by scorecard

38 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Well said, and not only this subject?

Some quick analysis of many 'news' items / many subjects reveals the same point - why aren't the appropriate officials continuously monitoring matters which fall under their responsibility (doing what they are being paid to do - the reason for existence of their jobs), and take immediate actions? 

I am assuming ur question is rhetorical. However, we all know why gov't employees who are underpaid are some of the wealthiest. Actually had a MoEd official approach my wife with offer for a job years ago. Only 600k THB...to him! 

This former neighbour had a fleet of vehicles (the standard Fortuner with gov't badge included), kids in "international" boarding schools and likely as many mia nois as he had cars. 

The thing that surprised us was he just showed up at our door while we had guests and unabashedly threw out his pitch to the my wife with Thais present and then abruptly left. 

41 minutes ago, scorecard said:

why aren't the appropriate officials continuously monitoring matters which fall under their responsibility (doing what they are being paid to do - the reason for existence of their jobs), and take immediate actions? 

They're doing exactly what they're paid to do.  But it's not the government paying them to do it.

2 hours ago, impulse said:

Oooh.

The plot thickens...

Next, we're going to hear how many were stolen from their Thai owners living abroad (members of families that own super car dealerships?), who were fully compensated by their insurance companies.  (Or maybe not...)  This could get good.

Yes and other countries don't care who daddy is

probably lots of hidden numbers on those cars since they are such low production ,

transmission will have a number  and many other things like color of interior etc

But its a worldwide problem with containers of near new cars being sent to Russia etc that have gone missing  in the West

years ago it was a big problem in Germany with stolen cars at the Polish border in a couple hours

Best to mark your car so you know that it is yours from the outside ,  drill a few holes in the lower panel ,

business cards behind the door panels are the easy way !

6 hours ago, stubuzz said:

if the paperwork matches the numbers I doubt they call Ferrari and ask if its be stolen ,

I wonder if Interpol  even has a list ,

And the buyers probably never knew the numbers were suspect ,  maybe they knew the import duty was not correct ,

but that just made it a "good deal"

there will be a long trail back to where these cars went missing , and I doubt the Thais had anything to do with it back then,

And for fun , watch the original Gone in 60 seconds movie from the 1970s .....

In the original story of the impounding of the cars, Bangkok post reported that this originated from the investigation that started a few years ago when the truck with super cars burned down.

At that time sevral super car dealers, including the one on Sukhumvit Pattaya, were inspected.

It was at that time already a public secret for years that the cars in that showroom were mostly stolen in other countries.

Remember also that the dealer didn't have the documents of any of the cars in his showroom, because they were all with the bank .

Shortly afterwards the showroom was closed down, and several of the super cars that I know were sold to foreign business people in Pattaya, have not been seen on the road since.

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

DSI officials continued their hunt for tax-dodging super cars by visiting several car show rooms. About 20 cars suspected to have under-declared their actual import prices

I read about self-driving smart cars but this is a whole new level: Only in Thailand do you have criminal tax-dodging cars, I do hope their owners and importers can safely distance themselves from these unscrupulous contraptions.

15 hours ago, stubuzz said:

Many times these cars are unloaded at night while the guards are either distracted from the area or paid off.

They could avoid a lot of this by just having a more reasonable import duty/tax, like 100% instead of 350%.

And they'd likely get more total tax revenue. And not have to raise the VAT.

Reasonable import duty/taxes could be extended to everything.

I would now think that the number of stolen cars are inflated by several cars ,then when they are gone from the list of the ones that will be auctioned off later no one will suspect it when they are sold in Malaysia.

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

DSI officials continued their hunt for tax-dodging super cars ...

Me mum warned me about super cars -- shifty, drink-sodden, tax-dodging wretches, she called them. Can't be trusted.

It could be as easy as unique identifying numbers in the diagnostics of the engine, concealed chips, etc that reveals the identity of these cars.

Gone are the days of filing the numbers off the blocks.................:sleep: 

Did anyone ever hear of car smuggling in Europe, the US or Australia? 

I - for one - did not. Maybe it has to do with the ridiculous high duties and excise fees here in the Land which makes such trade attractive? But your customs tariff into the 21st century = the country's coffers are filled and importers don't find smuggling attractive anymore.

Another good example was me at the "duty free shop" in Thanaleng/Friendship Bridge crossing into Thailand's Nong Khai. A couple with a pick-up walked in, got 25 cases of Black Label loaded onto their car, pulled a tarpaulin over the back and drove in front of me to Thailand. Did the paperwork on the car and nobody cared about his cargo. 

Well, the "duty free" in Laos actually is (Lao) duty paid and the booze is sold for less than half the Thai price.

There is a message and maybe the clowns at Klang Toey's castle of rip offs start to wonder, why nobody ever smuggled any alcohol into Laos. 

A few years ago cars were being stolen to order in the UK mainly around the Kent, Surrey, Sussex, Essex areas and went straight onto the Channel tunnel train over to France and 12 hours after being stolen they could have been anywhere in Europe.

If they were not reported to the police instantly then they were gone forever. Thieves would target a performance vehicle saleroom and ask to go for a test drive. They would either steal the car straight away or get the key copied and come back later.