Scapegoat in murder case walks free after 5 years

webfact

18 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Also a problem is the time it takes to come to trial, which can be much longer than the maximum sentence.

A few years back 7 Thai lads having a party were raided and 2 yabba found. After 48 days at court 6 pleaded guilty and were given time served.

The 7th, who was the only one to pass a urine test, pleaded not guilty. He was remanded back to jail for a further 9 months before he was subsequently found not guilty and released. He did not want a criminal record for something he hadn't done, but many will take plead guilty just to get out quicker, which is really appalling.

Promotional Policing.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Government PR machine too give a feel good story at the end of the week. Could be a few like this; what about the 2 Burma Boys locked up for murder. Can the DSI also look at the intimidation that was levelled against jurno's doing their job but are accosted by the people they accuse?

This organisation may be the same as the anti-corruption department/courts and legislation. They have since 1999 convicted 105 persons of corruption out of over 3500 cases. All convicted are low to poor middle management. No high end scalps. That's a fact. NACC is the Government body looking after corruption amongst the ranks.

Wonder what the DSI stats are like?

PS I am happy for this gentleman to get what is deserved.

Edited by Chris Lawrence

Justice ministry to speed up aid centre for persons unfairly treated by justice system

IMG_1675.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Justice Minister has urged all justice officials to speedily set up a centre to assist people who were unfairly treated by the police inquiry system after an innocent prisoner freed by the Supreme Court in 2015 was put back to jail for another crime.

The ministry’s permanent secretary Pol Col Dusadee Arayawut said the minister, Suwaphan Tanyuwattana, ordered all justice executives at the meeting to set up the aid centre to help people unjustly treated by the justice system.

His order came after the Supreme Court dropped murder conspiracy charge against four prisoners and freed them in 2015.

But one prisoner Worawit Sinthingwit was put back in jail after police filed drug charge against him.

Worawit’s family later sought help from the Justice Ministry in 2015 with reason that he was wrongly convicted.

The complaint prompted the ministry to designate the Department of Special Investigation to probe which later showed he and three others were scapegoats.

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-05-26

God's justice.

I wish him a very happy life.

Why would God send an innocent man in prison in the first place?

Must've been a typo on your part. I think you mean justice by evidence as a result from honest and well educated humans using scientifically proven methods.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

He is entitled to standard compensation at the rate of 500 Baht a day, which for just over 5 years is just over 900,000.

He can make an application for a higher amount, but it will take years to get anywhere.

Right now, I suspect that is the last thing on his mind, and he just wants to get on with his life. Good luck to him.

Just for clarity, it's set at Bt400 for each day spent behind bars as well as up to Bt30,000 in medical bills.

Edited by Laab Muu

When I came to live here 15 odd years ago there was at that time many good reasons to live in Thailand and I would be goaded on internet forums such as this for daring to criticise. Now it's more likely I would be applauded. Thailand is fast becoming a unviable place to live for foreigners and history tells us that it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better. I'm off .... Just like most of my friends who can. Again before many people would say naff off ya tool but now I'm not so sure? 

OK

2 hours ago, Nip said:

Thailand is fast becoming a unviable place to live for foreigners and history tells us that it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

It can be challenge living in Thailand. The culture clashes, the injustices, the lack of democracy, the lack of free speech, the corruption and the sheer avarice of the country make living here tempestuous. Most farang would agree it is getting worse but what makes you think it will get better afterwards?!

12 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

OK

It can be challenge living in Thailand. The culture clashes, the injustices, the lack of democracy, the lack of free speech, the corruption and the sheer avarice of the country make living here tempestuous. Most farang would agree it is getting worse but what makes you think it will get better afterwards?!

Ha Ha ... I was not entirely sure about saying things will get better. I take it back. My belief is the country is close to a major 'collapse' that the sleeping dogs up north will sooner rather than later start to bark then the games will begin. For me the daily shenanigans is a warning to sell up and ship out. Alas in Phuket were the tourist numbers are still being massaged and corruption rules It's too late.. 

1 hour ago, Nip said:

Ha Ha ... I was not entirely sure about saying things will get better. I take it back. My belief is the country is close to a major 'collapse' that the sleeping dogs up north will sooner rather than later start to bark then the games will begin. For me the daily shenanigans is a warning to sell up and ship out. Alas in Phuket were the tourist numbers are still being massaged and corruption rules It's too late.

I agree with you Nip. But please don't take it back 'cause it was rhetoric.

I'm way up north east and there is seething and hatred everywhere, The locals are well aware that the "same people that were killing them are now ruling them." Thai authorities have a terrible recent history of murdering Thai people in their hundreds and often thousands. The difference now is 'social media'. A massacre now would be 'round the world in seconds in all its bloody detail.

Thailand is a 'tinderbox', and in my farang circle we are all aware that it could kick off at any time. We all have 'contingency' plans (just in case). I am in the process of winding down my affairs and will be ready to 'ship out' at a moment's notice.

Make no mistake; when it does explode here we (farang) will be right in the firing line.

Edited by owl sees all
syntax error

6 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I agree with you Nip. But please don't take it back 'cause it was rhetoric.

I'm way up north east way and there is seething and hatred everywhere, the locals are well aware that the "same people that were killing us are now ruling us." Thai authorities have a terrible recent history of murdering Thai people in their hundreds and often thousands. The difference now is 'social media'. A massacre now would be 'round the world in seconds in all its bloody detail.

Thailand is a 'tinderbox', and in my farang circle we are all aware that it could kick off at any time. We all have 'contingency' plans (just in case). I am in the process of winding down my affairs and will be ready to 'ship out' at a moment's notice.

Make no mistake; when it does explode here we (farang) will be right in the firing line. F Troop are only hanging on by a thread and liars must have good memories

Agree entirely. I have already made the move. What a relief!  I was not sure at the outset but now Im positive I did the right thing especially for my kids. And my friends who have not yet escaped are like you making urgent contingency plans but are being hampered by the demise of the property market. There are lies and there are Thai lies. This police state is about to crumble under the weight of corruption and false information. 

9 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

justice system is flawed on all levels in thailand. i was charged for not having a work permit despite having one, but with the wrong address in it. my lawyer said there was no point contesting the case, just wear the thousands of dollars of expenses and 'fees' and the 1 year suspended jail sentence. i would never risk doing anything in thailand that could result in going to court again. that includes, business, property or living with a thai partner.

I hope you got out of there as justice is not Flawed it simply does not exist for a Farang and poor old locals get stitched up right left and center. Its just a Lawless society that is at the bottom of the world of evil, with no future to look forward to, how things have changed for the worst over the last few years.  A bunch of headless chickens in control.

4 hours ago, HOAX said:

Why would God send an innocent man in prison in the first place?

Must've been a typo on your part. I think you mean justice by evidence as a result from honest and well educated humans using scientifically proven methods.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Who said anything about God sending an innocent man in prison?

Just now, doremifasol said:

Who said anything about God sending an innocent man in prison?

Should have said Asked god why there are so many innocent people in prison in this neck of the woods

But I will answer it for him as I think today he is busy today laughing at the country

He sent me this answer

Because the country is run by thugs and Criminals.

39 minutes ago, wakeupplease said:

Because the country is run by thugs and Criminals.

I'm impressed by the above statement. The murdering, thuggery, corruption, lies, half truths (if we are lucky) and avarice has filtered down from the top and is now accepted as being the norm by the people. This, I think, goes some way to explain the present situation here.

All countries that have religion as one of its cornerstones seem to have the same problem. Somehow the rulers seem to forget what religion is really about. How can a person be a devout buddist and order the deaths of thousands of Thai people? Not in my book they can't.

I love the Thai people; they are warm and  friendly (but not without their dark side). They are being betrayed and over run by (and I quote); " thugs and Criminals".

Thailand has been my home for many years and I have family to raise and protect. I hope for some time to come. BUT!! This place is a powder keg......

Edited by owl sees all
inappropriate content

"Ballistic tests and gunpowder tests conducted by King Mongkut’s University of Technology Thonburi then revealed results that contradicted witness statements and the defendants also passed lie-detector tests. "

So what should be police work - in every case  before bringing them to court - is only done after the innocent victim and his family complains.

And the courts believe those ... (deleted)

Good that it is done at all. But to hell with such an evil police force who detain and bring to jail whom they want.

For honest people they are a source of feeling unsafe in this country

11 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

justice system is flawed on all levels in thailand. i was charged for not having a work permit despite having one, but with the wrong address in it. my lawyer said there was no point contesting the case, just wear the thousands of dollars of expenses and 'fees' and the 1 year suspended jail sentence. i would never risk doing anything in thailand that could result in going to court again. that includes, business, property or living with a thai partner.

I was told in court by the court clerk to admit guilty to a violation of entering the kingdom without having my passport stamped. I couldn't even explain why I didn't have my passport stamped. When I tried to say something to the Magistrate I was told to shut up by the police who was standing beside me and he gripped my arm in a very violent way. Is this a democratic way to conduct a court session? Where defendant has no right to speak. And the absence of a defense lawyer.

This experience told me there is no law worth talking about in Thailand.

How about clamping down and seriously punishing those that let innocent people be imprisoned. Mistakes can always be made but it must be proven that true diligence and impartiality was employed when sentencing ''beyond a reasonable doubt''.

7 hours ago, madusa said:

I was told in court by the court clerk to admit guilty to a violation of entering the kingdom without having my passport stamped. I couldn't even explain why I didn't have my passport stamped. When I tried to say something to the Magistrate I was told to shut up by the police who was standing beside me and he gripped my arm in a very violent way. Is this a democratic way to conduct a court session? Where defendant has no right to speak. And the absence of a defense lawyer.

This experience told me there is no law worth talking about in Thailand.

what was the fine? i took my work permit with me to my court case and my lawyer snatched it out of my hands and kept it from me in case i showed it in court. the whole exercise took 2 years from start to finish and cost me over 80 000thb. basically everyone has to plead guilty to get lenient sentences unless you can afford to expensive lawyers and bribes. 

22 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

The problem with Thai lawyers is they don't act or stand their ground like lawyers should. If anyone knows a good lawyer in Thailand, who actually fights for their client and will take no shit from the police, please let me know because I am yet to come across one.  

11 minutes ago, Phuketboy said:

The problem with Thai lawyers is they don't act or stand their ground like lawyers should. If anyone knows a good lawyer in Thailand, who actually fights for their client and will take no shit from the police, please let me know because I am yet to come across one.  

lawyers dont generally deal with the police unless they are trying to bribe them to stop handing the case onto the prosecutor. otherwise they do what lawyers do world wide and that is run up a big bill while looking like they are doing the right thing by their client. i know of several cases where western men were trying to get their own house back off their thai wives and the lawyers were actually helping the thai ex wives. the best option a westerner has in thailand is to take every precaution not to get involved in the legal system.

A post containing comments in violation of the following forum rule has been removed:

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.