Thai man vows to pay 3 million baht for giant gecko

6 hours ago, Ombra said:

That is an interesting way of avoiding the mess they make. I can't find 'napthalene' or moth balls in my dictionary, so what do you ask for in the shops?

Naphthalene is the stuff you want, have a look with the insecticide etc. in HomePro and the like.

Usually white balls in a bag, distinctive aroma. 

From the pictures on this thread the small gecko it looks as if this type is the four clawed type (Gehyra mutilata) although it could be a Spiny-tailed house gecko  (Hemidactylus frenatus) which is of a similar size and also only has four toes . These types of geckos get everywhere in my house.

Below are some pics that I have taken. The first is an immature tokay, but it has a much more powerful jaw than the wall geckos, for its size., and five toes.

The second is of one of my goldies facing up to a very angry tokay that didn't have much longer to live.

The third is of a Long Tailed Asian Sun Skink in my lounge the kitchen door into the garden is not fitted well and when open it almost scrapes on the floor but when shut there is a much larger gap under the hinged end - and that's how he got in.

The last is a picture of a small baby gecko plus an egg that is in the process of cracking and releasing the occupant, I wondered why my kitchen scales were not working  - this was the answer,59298218be06e_20120310_1(Medium).JPG.85cd041ec9713583ac1940117a649a19.JPG5929839a2b306_IMG_3074(Medium).JPG.b7a0962ade3873d601345266e555f456.JPG592983e4ed174_IMG_5890b(Medium)(Small).jpg.45ee64ec1184f8cb6a3e6058281dffc7.jpg

5929835b4c827_20111211_1(Medium).JPG.b7c3e867d5ac1e6e0c6c5ac6ac1e513c.JPG

18 hours ago, Crossy said:

Naphthalene is the stuff you want, have a look with the insecticide etc. in HomePro and the like.

Usually white balls in a bag, distinctive aroma. 

Thanks very much, Crossy. I'll look around in HomePro. As you say, I should recognise the stuff when I see it.

On 5/27/2017 at 10:50 AM, Ombra said:

That is an interesting way of avoiding the mess they make. I can't find 'napthalene' or moth balls in my dictionary, so what do you ask for in the shops?

I have a rat in the house at the moment and my cleaner recommended moth balls as a deterrent.  She wrote down the Thai for 'moth balls' so that I could find them easily in local shops :smile:.

The rat is still here (.....), but reading these posts has made me realise that there are far fewer gekkos in the house!

Edit - the brand I found in the local 'supermarket' is Elephant Napthalene Balls.

Edited by dick dasterdly

I hope this offer (scam?) doesn't lead to the unnecessary and wasteful killing of gekkos. I think I have a soft spot for the critters, although I've never been infested with them (or rats) - just the cockroaches.

On 5/27/2017 at 10:50 AM, Ombra said:
On 5/26/2017 at 6:55 PM, PETERTHEEATER said:

Some years ago I came out of a roadside restaurant to my car after dark and found a tokay on the rear window. Not wanting to drive off and injure it I got a pair of reinforced work gloves from inside my car knowing what a powerful bite these reptiles have. Before I could pick the lizard off a security guard appeared and with a swagger pushed me aside and grabbed at the tokay which twisted its body back and clamped its jaws onto Somchai's finger. To the amusement of the small crowd which had gathered the guard ran off screaming and waving his hand in a futile attempt to get the tokay to release!

They do crap everywhere so I deter them from inside the house by hanging or wedging large napthalene tablets near their favourite haunts.

I have a whole family of Tokay's living in my garden shed and pump house, and have tried napthalene blocks all over the place, to no avail at all

28 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

3 million for a 17.5 cm Tokaye, and 5 million for one very large, which I would assume is double that size.

My house just increased by about 10 - 15 million Baht in value.

Know what you mean, loads of tookays around my house :laugh:!

26 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

I have a whole family of Tokay's living in my garden shed and pump house, and have tried napthalene blocks all over the place, to no avail at all

"pump house" - that was the description that didn't come to mind!

A couple of years ago I had a problem with the water supply and the landlord's 'agent' told me to stand in the pump house to turn the switch on and off as he did various things 'down the line' :laugh:.  The pump house was FULL of tookays!

I like them so it didn't bother me at all - but I was suprised at the number that clearly found it a safe place to  breed :smile:.

Tell him to call me... I have a whole family and one male is at least 18" long.  The cats are even afraid of it.  Next problem... catching it.  Oh...and we've seen it eating rats and one pigeon.

DSCN4599.JPG

Edited by Mrjlh

Just caught one of these and released him in some woodland near us, we put up with him for three months , We live and let live but this one kept calling throughout the nite, what made it worse was he was inside a pipe which amplified its call.