Flight evacuated due to smell from fruit

Gimbo

3 minutes ago, jesimps said:

My daughter loves it, but I make her eat it on the balcony. I'd love to know what it tastes like, but I just can't get past the smell. I suppose if I was starving I'd kill for some.

I love durian, but I do agree that the smell can be off-putting. we bought one recently and had it prepared by the stall holder. 

Once we'd got it home, my wife unwrapped it and left it out to air for while. It didn't take long before the smell had dissipated and we were able to enjoy it in the home without offence.

Suggest you give it a try jesimps, they're delicious. If you like custard apple, mango or jackfruit, you'll like this one too.

Myths about about the ''king of fruits'', including the one regarding alcohol are debunked here:

https://www.healthxchange.sg/food-nutrition/food-tips/durian-myths-facts-king-fruits

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, chowny77 said:

Last week I was teaching about foods and linking it with like / don't like. From the 20 classes I taught I would say only about 15% of the students per class, said they liked Durian. The new generation of Thai's seem to be shifting from eating mostly Thai foods and are now enjoying foreign  foods more. To be honest I have seen many hotels, apartments, shops and even the 7/11's which will not allow Durians to be consumed within their premises. Most buses will only allow it to be loaded on if it is in the under compartment. Planes will not accept unless it goes with the main luggage and most taxis will not accept it in the car. For me, I think it is horrible. It stinks and does not taste good. It is also not healthy to eat in high quantity especially for people with diabetes and should not be consumed with alcohol as it can kill you.  

The last sentence????  Thai myth - or maybe only applies to Thais. I was told this and subsequently ate durian  while drinking Chang and Sang Som Soda: I am still here to write this.  QED

I can remember Anthony Burgess describing the Durian experience as "eating strawberry blancmange in a Bangkok public toilet"...

14 hours ago, tazly said:

you said all hotels, now you say one?  Besides it smells great.

As an outsider I can tell you that a warning is posted in many hotels I have stayed in.... That smell stays on and is repulsive to many people, which causes this to be a 'native thing' to Thailand.................It don t bother me but you must understand it is a 'Thai' thing.................... Just go along with it.................. If you enjoy Thailand......  I have found it in Malaysia as well.............

Gimbo after reading your post there is only one conclusion that I can come to. True Love knows no bounds. We always retain the WHY gene no matter what. So man foreigners come here and retire and love the place but cannot stop asking WHY

Durian is forbidden on public transportation in Singapore and Hong Kong. On all trains and buses in Singapore there is a

picture of a Durian with an "X: through it. I believe there is a hefty fine for breaking the law.

Durian is prohibited on both the BTS and MRT in Bangkok. I got kicked out/refused 2 or 3 times with the best durian available from Or Tor Kor Farmers' market in Chatuchak, although there they wrap it 5 to 6  times in plastic foil.  Had to take a taxi back, most of them don't mind it at all. They just wait at the MRT station for potential durian-carrying customers.

4 hours ago, jesimps said:

100% correct! Most will agree, although some durian maniac will pop up shortly disputing it.

Often wondered, who was the first person in history to eat durian? I mean who, when breaking into the thing and being hit with that awful stench, would think of tasting it? Being the first, they had no one to tell them that despite the smell it was really yummy.

My daughter loves it, but I make her eat it on the balcony. I'd love to know what it tastes like, but I just can't get past the smell. I suppose if I was starving I'd kill for some.

Once you get past the smell, you got it licked.

Hooray for the king... of fruits.

And a qualification on the bans in sin and hk, is actually for the physical shell as the thorns are sharp and can injure.

Actual fruit to bringing on is alright.

And there's a durian run coming soon

8 hours ago, masuk said:

The artificial smell added to Propane gas which has no smell at all, is almost identical to that of Durian.

Many airports have a sign, prohibiting the carriage of durian.

In Indonesia, they sell durian flavoured ice-cream.   No accounting for taste!

When I lived in Malaysia many years ago my sons loved durian flavoured ice cream - not me! One of the guys from our office whent on a 1 week trip leaving his car at the airport outside in the Malaysian sun with half eaten durians in the boot/trunk. With great courage he drove it home where his Chinese amah fixed the smell by putting pandan leaves in the boot overnight - all was OK by the morning.

9 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Wow I wish it was. I absolutely love the stuff. Unfortunately the Chinese are buying heaps of it, sometimes buying whole plantation crops before ripening which of course inflates the price for the local market. This month you're looking at Bt80 - 100 kg. Should go down a bit next month but in the past few years (when the Chinese moved in) I can't remember seeing it for less than Bt70 kg. Don't know what all the fuss is about. Beautiful smell.:smile:

Over Bt 200 for this, this month I reckon...

zhjq1r56jqbz0cd.jpg

Looks delicious.....btw there is a great durian festival in Rayong each year, with an all you can eat contest.  Enjoy!

11 hours ago, lucjoker said:

It stinks,

I forbid everyone  to bring it into my home or into my car,

if they want to eat it ,ok, but if i smell it , they can not come in my house.

Same thing for bamboo cooking...not in my house.

And i dont care what others think about this.

My house -my rules

btw i do wear my shoes in my house.

Shoes in the house is very dirty.....do you clean the dog droppings of the bottom before your enter

9 hours ago, jesimps said:

100% correct! Most will agree, although some durian maniac will pop up shortly disputing it.

Often wondered, who was the first person in history to eat durian? I mean who, when breaking into the thing and being hit with that awful stench, would think of tasting it? Being the first, they had no one to tell them that despite the smell it was really yummy.

Wrong....your loss!  I have personally eaten durian with the owners/managers of many hotels so your 100% number cannot be right.  Also calling food experts, "maniacs" is simply rude and disrespectful...learn some table manners

Edited by tazly

6 hours ago, tomwct said:

Durian is forbidden on public transportation in Singapore and Hong Kong. On all trains and buses in Singapore there is a

picture of a Durian with an "X: through it. I believe there is a hefty fine for breaking the law.

Sure, you can't chew gum either, but who cares!

1 hour ago, bra said:

When I lived in Malaysia many years ago my sons loved durian flavoured ice cream - not me! One of the guys from our office whent on a 1 week trip leaving his car at the airport outside in the Malaysian sun with half eaten durians in the boot/trunk. With great courage he drove it home where his Chinese amah fixed the smell by putting pandan leaves in the boot overnight - all was OK by the morning.

The D24 is especially nice in Malaysia.....

I have heard that durian is not allowed on Thai buses or vans. I really hate the smell. I think many people do, but people who like it really, really love it.

Edited by Acharn

22 hours ago, chowny77 said:

Last week I was teaching about foods and linking it with like / don't like. From the 20 classes I taught I would say only about 15% of the students per class, said they liked Durian. The new generation of Thai's seem to be shifting from eating mostly Thai foods and are now enjoying foreign  foods more. To be honest I have seen many hotels, apartments, shops and even the 7/11's which will not allow Durians to be consumed within their premises. Most buses will only allow it to be loaded on if it is in the under compartment. Planes will not accept unless it goes with the main luggage and most taxis will not accept it in the car. For me, I think it is horrible. It stinks and does not taste good. It is also not healthy to eat in high quantity especially for people with diabetes and should not be consumed with alcohol as it can kill you.  

The "drinking alcohol with durian will kill you" is totally urban myth. If you know anything about Thai's consumption of alcohol, common sense will tell you that.

8 hours ago, HerbalEd said:

The "drinking alcohol with durian will kill you" is totally urban myth. If you know anything about Thai's consumption of alcohol, common sense will tell you that.

My local Thai durian seller and all Thais I know say you shouldn't drink alcohol (a bit is ok) with durian as it's bad for your liver. Drink a lot of whiskey/whisky and eat a lot of durian and you'll end up in hospital or possibly die. It may be an urban myth as you say but I think I'll take the locals advice.

Durian is an acquired taste. My wife loves it and once in awhile she got one that wasn't totally ripe.  If it isn't mushy, it isn't ripe. She would give me the crispy pieces. I thought it tasted like hickory nuts. I guess you have to be a US farm boy to know what hickory nuts taste like. I think hickory nuts are delicious but it is difficult to get the meat out of the hard thick shells.

Anyways, sometimes what she gave me were nearly ripe and eventually I learned to like the fully ripe ones. Delicious!

Some of you are like a farang friend of mine. He refuses to eat anything that wasn't commonly available in the UK. I always tell him that he has no idea what he is missing.

17 hours ago, tazly said:

Shoes in the house is very dirty.....do you clean the dog droppings of the bottom before your enter

No, not the dog  droppings........but the durian i accidentally stept in  ...........

I have house shoes ......or did you think i walk barefoot like a monkey?

On 5/27/2017 at 6:58 AM, keithathome said:

The last sentence????  Thai myth - or maybe only applies to Thais. I was told this and subsequently ate durian  while drinking Chang and Sang Som Soda: I am still here to write this.  QED

it was the soda that saved you !!!!

23 hours ago, tazly said:

Looks delicious.....btw there is a great durian festival in Rayong each year, with an all you can eat contest.  Enjoy!

The heart of durian country. Lucky. All you can eat durian? I couldn't. Really heats my guts up if I have too much. Strange fruit it actually generates heat.

9 hours ago, Gary A said:

Durian is an acquired taste. My wife loves it and once in awhile she got one that wasn't totally ripe.  If it isn't mushy, it isn't ripe. She would give me the crispy pieces. I thought it tasted like hickory nuts. I guess you have to be a US farm boy to know what hickory nuts taste like. I think hickory nuts are delicious but it is difficult to get the meat out of the hard thick shells.

Anyways, sometimes what she gave me were nearly ripe and eventually I learned to like the fully ripe ones. Delicious!

Some of you are like a farang friend of mine. He refuses to eat anything that wasn't commonly available in the UK. I always tell him that he has no idea what he is missing.

Yes. The crispy bits aren't so good but you're right it does have a nutty taste. Durian is the king of fruits. Best when its fully ripened. I think in Thailand it's about 50-50 like, don't like.