Paying for someone's university education?

12 hours ago, CanadianIban said:

Public Administration is what she's doing now.   I am assuming that she needed a degree in something else before Laws can be pursue, just like in Canada?

So snapshot of report cards whenever they are issued just to track progress, invoice of registration confirmation, university's bank and bank account #, and student id #.  I believe the new school year starts in Aug?  Hopefully the university's bank is one of the major ones like SCB so I can just wire $ to it?

Canada is similar to the US, in that they offer a JD--Juris Doctorate--a post-graduate degree which requires a bachelor's degree to enter the JD program of specialized legal studies. In the UK, they still offer the LLB, which includes a bachelor's academic program, but I believe the LLB requires additional law studies to take the bar exam. Of course, passing the bar is required to practice law under both law degree programs.

The snapshot of report cards to which you refer is quite common in academia, it is usually called a Transcript of Grades and is often required to be sent directly by the university to the prospective employer or academic institution as proof of not only university attendance, but successful passing of university courses. I certainly think you should be able to transfer money to the university to pay tuition and fees for your student.

A Public Administration bachelor's degree could be supplemented by a law degree, but also by a Masters in Public Administration (MPA)--the MPA is the public sector's equivalent of an MBA in business; either master's degree (MPA or MBA) is normally required for senior management positions in government or business respectively. The MPA can also have a Legal Concentration. I think I would opt for the MPA if she is interested in a career of government/public sector management.

However, if she wants to practice law in Thailand--specifically to be a government legal counsel, prosecutor, or judge; which would best use the Public Administration degree--she would have to earn a degree in law from a university accredited in Thai Law, be a member of the Thai Bar Association--which often means further study to pass the bar--and then be a member of the Thai Legal Society http://www.thailawforum.com/articles/charununlegal2.html.

10 hours ago, smotherb said:

Canada is similar to the US, in that they offer a JD--Juris Doctorate--a post-graduate degree which requires a bachelor's degree to enter the JD program of specialized legal studies. In the UK, they still offer the LLB, which includes a bachelor's academic program, but I believe the LLB requires additional law studies to take the bar exam. Of course, passing the bar is required to practice law under both law degree programs.

The snapshot of report cards to which you refer is quite common in academia, it is usually called a Transcript of Grades and is often required to be sent directly by the university to the prospective employer or academic institution as proof of not only university attendance, but successful passing of university courses. I certainly think you should be able to transfer money to the university to pay tuition and fees for your student.

A Public Administration bachelor's degree could be supplemented by a law degree, but also by a Masters in Public Administration (MPA)--the MPA is the public sector's equivalent of an MBA in business; either master's degree (MPA or MBA) is normally required for senior management positions in government or business respectively. The MPA can also have a Legal Concentration. I think I would opt for the MPA if she is interested in a career of government/public sector management.

However, if she wants to practice law in Thailand--specifically to be a government legal counsel, prosecutor, or judge; which would best use the Public Administration degree--she would have to earn a degree in law from a university accredited in Thai Law, be a member of the Thai Bar Association--which often means further study to pass the bar--and then be a member of the Thai Legal Society http://www.thailawforum.com/articles/charununlegal2.html.

I'm sure she's doing the PA to Laws route for a good reason.  I haven't asked her what her goals are as she does have trouble explaining and expressing some stuff in English when the conversation/topic gets complex.  Google Translator isn't always accurate either.  I found out that if I type out my questions (in English), she actually understands most of the time what I'm trying to ask.  But like I said, she has difficulty trying to find the proper English words from time to time to put together an answer.

2 hours ago, richard10365 said:

You can check the student's e-registras account to see how much they have paid.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I am assuming you are referring to an individual login account on the university's website where she can check course status, tuition balance, etc?  If that's the case, I am really not sure how I would go about obtaining that kind of confidential access...other than asking her?

10 minutes ago, CanadianIban said:

I'm sure she's doing the PA to Laws route for a good reason.  I haven't asked her what her goals are as she does have trouble explaining and expressing some stuff in English when the conversation/topic gets complex.  Google Translator isn't always accurate either.  I found out that if I type out my questions (in English), she actually understands most of the time what I'm trying to ask.  But like I said, she has difficulty trying to find the proper English words from time to time to put together an answer.

I am assuming you are referring to an individual login account on the university's website where she can check course status, tuition balance, etc?  If that's the case, I am really not sure how I would go about obtaining that kind of confidential access...other than asking her?

It seems rather unusual that she would not speak English any better than that attending those degree programs, but of course, this is Thailand. Yes, google translate is almost useless for any in-depth conversation. Is there not someone who can act as translator for you two? You really ought to know her intentions.

43 minutes ago, smotherb said:

It seems rather unusual that she would not speak English any better than that attending those degree programs, but of course, this is Thailand. Yes, google translate is almost useless for any in-depth conversation. Is there not someone who can act as translator for you two? You really ought to know her intentions.

I guess it's because she doesn't get a lot of chances to have a conversation with people in English, if at all.  If you don't use it, you lose it and forget about it.  I know she takes English in school but I am not sure to what extent and complexity the class is.

As for a translator, that's something I thought about.  Not sure how I can go about doing that since I know no one in Bangkok.  Is there such thing as hiring one locally in Bangkok that is always objective and isn't biased?

11 hours ago, CanadianIban said:

I guess it's because she doesn't get a lot of chances to have a conversation with people in English, if at all.  If you don't use it, you lose it and forget about it.  I know she takes English in school but I am not sure to what extent and complexity the class is.

As for a translator, that's something I thought about.  Not sure how I can go about doing that since I know no one in Bangkok.  Is there such thing as hiring one locally in Bangkok that is always objective and isn't biased?

I don't live in Bangkok, but I am sure you canfind someone. Do you not know any Thais who speak English or farangs who speak Thai? Of course, you could place a notice on any university's or English school's online bulletin board asking for the services of a translator.

Archived