Paying for someone's university education?

I know...some of you are going to say the typical "you are getting scammed" or "I told you so" or something of that nature.  But that's up to my discretion.

Anyway, I know which specific university this Thai person is attending.  What is the process involved in paying the tuition of someone's university education?  I looked at the university's website but the only contact info is the address of the university and a phone and fax number.

No I am not expecting anything in return from this person, other than being her being grateful and thankful.  All I want is for her to continue pursuing her studies until she graduates.  I would hate to see her quit or drop out due to lack of tuition funds.

Thank you in advanced.

I think it a lot of procedure things depend on the university. My stepson simply phones his mom when tuition time comes and I send the money.Have the girl do the same. If it private university can get expensive. This last year tuition for the son was over 250,000. that is 2 semesters though. Government can be a low as 10,000 a semester depends on studies too. Just tell her to let you know when she needs the money and ask for copy of receipt paid.

53 minutes ago, CanadianIban said:

No I am not expecting anything in return from this person, other than being her being grateful and thankful.

:cheesy:

Whenever I am feeling down----I turn to Thai-V.......there is so much humour on here.......:coffee1:

The University will have a designated bank account. The student will have a designated ID #. You can send money directly to the bank account specifying the ID/account #. You should not give money directly to the student but ask the student to provide you with University Invoice and account information. That way the money is going where you think it is and not to the handsome beer swilling classmate who has charmed her out of it.

When I studied (Chula) I mainly paid in cash.

Just got to the bank for a big envelope with money and dropped it off at registration before the new term started.

Alternatively I got the money in cash from my bank, walked 20 meters in the shopping mall to the branch of the university, and deposit it there on their bank account.

I tried a cashiers cheque once but it was too much trouble at the local branch to get that completed.

May appear a stupid question.....but as you are willing to go this far in gratitude to a friend...would it not be worth a visit in person to the University and get all the details from "the horses mouth" as it were...unless of course.....you do not reside in the same country?

1 hour ago, oxo1947 said:

Whenever I am feeling down----I turn to Thai-V.......there is so much humour on here.......:coffee1:

Yep! Yesterday it was the coffee shop, today the university. What will tomorrow bring?

1 hour ago, tonray said:

The University will have a designated bank account. The student will have a designated ID #. You can send money directly to the bank account specifying the ID/account #. You should not give money directly to the student but ask the student to provide you with University Invoice and account information. That way the money is going where you think it is and not to the handsome beer swilling classmate who has charmed her out of it.

Now I find out about this designated account. I wish I had know 4 years ago when step son started uni. I often wondered if we were being told all the truth,but i sent the money to keep peace in the family. 

1 hour ago, tonray said:

IMHO this is the best advice you will get.  While living in the States my Thai wife convinced me to send money back to Thailand to send her daughter to a two year college.  The girl was staying with her uncle, so we simply wired the money directly to the girl's bank account and assumed all was well.  After two years we discovered that the girl had been turning the money over to her uncle and he squandered every last baht of it and she never attended a single class.  So, find the best way to pay directly to the university and then insist that the flow of money will stop unless you receive receipts for payment and a report card from the student each time they are issued. Never assume anything and never underestimate the ability of the human heart to create schemes designed to extract money from you for purposes other than for which it was intended by your good self. And remember....no good deed goes unpunished!

3 hours ago, oxo1947 said:

Grateful, seems not out of the question; does it? By the way, how to you pronounce that "humour," is it hume-our or hum-our?

2 hours ago, DoctorG said:

Yep! Yesterday it was the coffee shop, today the university. What will tomorrow bring?

Yeah, you could do what so many others do and just pay her a salary for services rendered.  Quite frankly, I prefer the thought of teaching them how to fish.

4 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

I think it a lot of procedure things depend on the university. My stepson simply phones his mom when tuition time comes and I send the money.Have the girl do the same. If it private university can get expensive. This last year tuition for the son was over 250,000. that is 2 semesters though. Government can be a low as 10,000 a semester depends on studies too. Just tell her to let you know when she needs the money and ask for copy of receipt paid.

Her tuition currently is 30000 per year.  She indicated she has an internship in her upcoming final year.  Goes up to 35000 when she pursues another degree after this one.  Unless I heard it wrong, this 2nd degree is another 2 years of education.

3 hours ago, tonray said:

Yes I actually saw her university's ID card and looked at it closely.  It's good to know there's a process which involves directly with the university's bank account.  I will look into it.

2 hours ago, dotpoom said:

May appear a stupid question.....but as you are willing to go this far in gratitude to a friend...would it not be worth a visit in person to the University and get all the details from "the horses mouth" as it were...unless of course.....you do not reside in the same country?

I do not live in Thailand.  I guess I supposed I can make another visit, especially for this kind of gesture which involves THB, and pay a visit to the University.  The problem is that I don't speak Thai, other than my typical sa-wa-dee-grap and sa-baai-dee-mai

Now another question I have is: when does the new school year start?  Does it depend on the faculty/program and/or the university?  What months do the semesters run?

2 hours ago, oxo1947 said:

The country is just overflowing farang philanthropists..........(if you happen to be a cute young girl) ............:coffee1:

I'm far from having a farang label over my head.

Thanks again for the replies and appreciate the help.

We helped sponsor a few students via a Thai charity.  The charity insisted that the student send a copy of the term/semester's grades to respective sponsors.  Good way to ensure that they stay enrolled.  The sponsorship in most cases was a nominal amount, since we were told that acceptance would allow qualification for student loans (nurses/teachers) and the amount we contributed would make up for a funding gap.  

Since you are doing this direct, the university account sounds like a good idea.  Just like you plan to write-off the money, temper any expectation of gratitude.

27 minutes ago, CanadianIban said:

I'm far from having a farang label over my head.

I dont think you could have said anything more newbie than that..........:coffee1:

Canadian----we are not trying to put you down, -really- just trying to point out the many pot holes in the road you want to travel on.

31 minutes ago, CanadianIban said:

Yes I actually saw her university's ID card and looked at it closely.

Yes there very difficult to get hold of.........:coffee1:

4 hours ago, smotherb said:

Grateful, seems not out of the question; does it? By the way, how to you pronounce that "humour," is it hume-our or hum-our?

Here we go again. Don't you recall having your wrist smacked ( and mine ) for straying off topic on another thread?

I think the OP should be looking closely at the degree his protege is attempting to graduate in. Some degrees in many countries have little value in terms of earning a living from the qualification. And I would take the second degree with a truckload of salt, unless it's in the medical field.

40 minutes ago, ujayujay said:

Tired have to read such sarcastic dump Comments from grumpy old Men in TV

If your so tired Ujayujay.....there is a solution, a little button that will take away all your tiredness...... ....but what makes me think you wont be using it....................:coffee1:

6 hours ago, bazza73 said:

I think the OP should be looking closely at the degree his protege is attempting to graduate in. Some degrees in many countries have little value in terms of earning a living from the qualification. And I would take the second degree with a truckload of salt, unless it's in the medical field.

If the second degree is a master's in the same field; it may be more worth it. For example, a master's in education can get you into university teaching--better status, better pay; a bachelor's degree in business is quite useful in almost all industries; an MBA ( Master of Business Administration) is normally required for senior management.

16 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

When I studied (Chula) I mainly paid in cash.

Just got to the bank for a big envelope with money and dropped it off at registration before the new term started.

Alternatively I got the money in cash from my bank, walked 20 meters in the shopping mall to the branch of the university, and deposit it there on their bank account.

I tried a cashiers cheque once but it was too much trouble at the local branch to get that completed.

So interesting.

5 hours ago, smotherb said:

If the second degree is a master's in the same field; it may be more worth it. For example, a master's in education can get you into university teaching--better status, better pay; a bachelor's degree in business is quite useful in almost all industries; an MBA ( Master of Business Administration) is normally required for senior management.

The second degree will be Laws

6 hours ago, CanadianIban said:

The second degree will be Laws

Well, what is the first degree? If it too is in law an LLM--masters in law--is a post-graduate degree in a specialized area of law--corporate, tax, arbitration, etc.; it could be very useful if the student wants to specialize--usually more money and status. The LLM is required to even practice law in many European countries.

10 hours ago, smotherb said:

Well, what is the first degree? If it too is in law an LLM--masters in law--is a post-graduate degree in a specialized area of law--corporate, tax, arbitration, etc.; it could be very useful if the student wants to specialize--usually more money and status. The LLM is required to even practice law in many European countries.

Public Administration is what she's doing now.   I am assuming that she needed a degree in something else before Laws can be pursue, just like in Canada?

So snapshot of report cards whenever they are issued just to track progress, invoice of registration confirmation, university's bank and bank account #, and student id #.  I believe the new school year starts in Aug?  Hopefully the university's bank is one of the major ones like SCB so I can just wire $ to it?

Archived