Kalasin versus Roi Et

tyznd

After too many years of putting up with the air pollution in Chiang Mai which is starting to effect me, the time has come to make a move. 

My wife is from Kamalasai so we are considering there or anywhere close by in Kalasin or even perhaps Roi Et.  One main difference I see is Roi Et has a local immigration office which would make it easier to renew my annual retirement visa but since it is only a once a year event, it wouldn't make living in Kalasin a deal breaker.

Hopefully, I can get some feedback from expats who live in both Kalasin and Roi Et on the housing market (would want to rent a detached house at our age), restaurants, any good places to have a beer and meet some interesting folks,  shopping venues, etc.  Not in an immediate hurry, but definitely want to be out of here before February next year.  Thanks for your input.
T

Kalasin has Scotts Bar (see FB page) and Roi Et has many more options. Roi Et also has an Airport/Robinsons too.

Obviously you can imagine which one I'd rather live in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lived in both. Roi Et hands down. Much more friendly place. Robinsons, KFC, Airport. Many good bars and restaurants including good western food around the lake especially Klaus at the white Elephant bar. and quite a lot of expats if you want to talk. Also its closer to BKK Pattaya etc.

Lived in both. Roi Et hands down. Much more friendly place. Robinsons, KFC, Airport. Many good bars and restaurants including good western food around the lake especially Klaus at the white Elephant bar. and quite a lot of expats if you want to talk. Also its closer to BKK Pattaya etc.

Actually the White Elephant has closed down now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, NVass said:

..I heard the the White Elephant closed recently... :-(

I have not been to either but I have an American friend married to Thai lady that lives in Kalasin. He comes to Bangkok and his main complaint is lack of expats to hang out with in Kalasin. He speaks fluent Thai but gets tired of only being around Thai people. This is third hand not verified but I believe my friend is lonely for Expat friends in Kalasin. 

I've lived in Kalasin for 10 years now and like it here...but.. there is only the one ferang bar..'Scott's'.. as mentioned above and no restaurants with western food.. some good Thai restaurants around though..  Tesco-Lotus, Big C and now Makro.. so shopping is reasonable ...  but would have to agree the RoiEt has more to offer for entertainment..  

10 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

I have not been to either but I have an American friend married to Thai lady that lives in Kalasin. He comes to Bangkok and his main complaint is lack of expats to hang out with in Kalasin. He speaks fluent Thai but gets tired of only being around Thai people. This is third hand not verified but I believe my friend is lonely for Expat friends in Kalasin. 

I can understand that.. there aren't that many ferang who actually live in Kalasin town.. there are a lot living in villages outside the town..  I've got a good circle of friends but they live outside the town in all directions.. As mentioned.. Scott's Bar is a good place to meet a few of the locals and get local information.. a good place to ask about finding a house.. it is all by word of mouth here.. 

19 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Kalasin will have a Robinsons next year I'm told, opposite Global House. There is also a very large government office nearing completion that may well include an immigration office. It has Tesco, Big C and Makro stores. No airport though.

I've heard that the immigration office is still a couple of years away... but 90 day reports by post  to Sakhon Nakon make them easy..   a Robinson's would be good..

Any more specifics on the housing situation in Roi Et and Kalasin?  Checked with DD Property and not much of anything for either location.  Thanks for the replies.

t

You will have to stay in a short term hotel (2,000 Baht per week for a decent one) at either Kalasin or Roi Et and have your wife ask around. You won't find rentals advertised on the Internet, it's all word of mouth. A decent house outside the main business district would be about 5,000 Baht per month. Roi Et is a pretty looking town and seems more modern and prosperous. Kalasin is a bit behind.

Roi Et would be the better choice, in my opinion, but if your wife is from around Kalasin she might be able to get a good deal on a house by asking her family or relatives.

For your mental sanity; coming from Chiang Mai will make life in Rai Et very, very, very boring and in Kalasin you'll get suicidal. All this might look beautiful, given the present issue with Chiang Mai's manmade haze - and I understand that. But you might consider spending the "smoky" days in Roi Et (or even Kalasin for that matter) but spend the rest of your time in a busier place. If Chiang Mai is off the map then consider Khon Kaen or Udon Thani. 

Just an outsider's view looking in but I - for one - fluent in Thai, could never live in the sticks of Isan's back yard for mental sanity reasons; irrespective of Robinson, Immigration or other facilities. 

20 hours ago, Laza 45 said:

I've heard that the immigration office is still a couple of years away... but 90 day reports by post  to Sakhon Nakon make them easy..   a Robinson's would be good..

The building is complete and is being fitted out now, so I'd guess months rather than years before the building opens. Whether it will include an immigration office I don't know.

6 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

For your mental sanity; coming from Chiang Mai will make life in Rai Et very, very, very boring and in Kalasin you'll get suicidal. All this might look beautiful, given the present issue with Chiang Mai's manmade haze - and I understand that. But you might consider spending the "smoky" days in Roi Et (or even Kalasin for that matter) but spend the rest of your time in a busier place. If Chiang Mai is off the map then consider Khon Kaen or Udon Thani. 

Just an outsider's view looking in but I - for one - fluent in Thai, could never live in the sticks of Isan's back yard for mental sanity reasons; irrespective of Robinson, Immigration or other facilities. 

I had thought about Khon Kaen but saw it also has high levels of PM 2.5 which I definitely want to avoid. Not sure what the air pollution situation in Roi Et and Kalasin are but hope it is much lower than Chiang Mai and Khon Kaen for that matter.

As far as Chiang Mai, I live south outside the main center where there is not much going on either.  If you want to go to the center of town on a Friday or Saturday, traffic is terrible and not worth it.  Basically, I would be content with just of couple of good spots to stop in and have a beer and chat, along with a decent meal now and then. 

Roi Et sounds like the better option but my wife would definitely prefer Kalasin (Kamalsai).  I guess the best bet would be to spend a couple of weeks in both areas to get a feel for what its like and then decide which way to go.  Thanks again for the replies.

Most of us who live in the Isaan sticks are mentally challenged already. Gave up sanity a long time ago.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The building is complete and is being fitted out now, so I'd guess months rather than years before the building opens. Whether it will include an immigration office I don't know.

"Whether it will include an immigration office I don't know....".. that of course is the big question..

On 5/27/2017 at 5:41 PM, Wake Up said:

There is a small group  of English Speaking Expates (mostly American & English) who meet up Tues, Thurs & Sat. afternoon about 2PM  at the Kalafare Coffee place on the side of the Nom Kin Park lake...  Also a group who meet once a week at 1PM  at the Supak Hotel restaurant on Thursdays...  And for the more European group, I believe they are meeting at the Amazon Coffee shop at the PTT station just outside of Kalasin on the road towards Roi Et...

I have lived here in Kalasin for the  past 15+ years and would not it for Roi Et or Kaen Kaen...

Pianoman

After looking more into Kalasin and Roi Et I decided to pass on both.   After living in CM for so many years I think I would go a bit stir crazy in either of those locations after a while.  So Udon Thani here I come.  Thanks for the replies.

2 hours ago, tyznd said:

After looking more into Kalasin and Roi Et I decided to pass on both.   After living in CM for so many years I think I would go a bit stir crazy in either of those locations after a while.  So Udon Thani here I come.  Thanks for the replies.

And there you will find a Villa supermarket! Two, but I think the older one is closing.

Kamalasai wouldn't be too bad an option to live in, if you like living in the sticks, as it gives you the option to bai tiow in Kalasin, Roi-Et or Mahsarakham for a night out or shopping trips. Another benefit would be that house rental prices should be cheaper too, while the air would be cleaner than the towns, so it's win-win-win! :wink: The only potential downside is having too many nosy in-laws near at hand, eating you out of house and home, but some are great and can be a real asset, such as house and pet-sitting, when called upon. 

Have a recce at the hospitals in any town or city you choose. Kalasin has an awful hospital and as nice a place as the city is, your estimation may come down somewhat if you ever have to go there.

If you chang your mind on kalasin and want a first hand view.

Short term aparthotel - the best residence on thung sri muang rd (city) is a decent deal and and may offer monthly lets.  It's fairly new and we'll maintained last time I was there. 6 months back for 6 months.

Detached 2 bed homes in city. Circa 6500 baht which I hear is a bit pricey...

Right by big c. Kapungnung bungalows. It's ok was there 6 months too. A Few farangs living there at time. Mice lEmin trees in gardens and an influx of frogs when it rains. Caught 67 one night.

Food wise it's a bit bleak as posters have said. There is a tasty Vietnamese joint right next to bus station. A place called Kopte Steak make decent western food which is in the centre but one thing they have in abundance is great Issan food everywhere. Beef markets are some great Issan beef restaurants too shabby but great food.

2 lovely parks and if you need extra fresh air lam pao dam is 30 clicks away.

On 5/27/2017 at 5:41 PM, Wake Up said:

How old is your friend?  I definitely have the same feeling at times being the only falang in my village 10KM west of Kamalasi.  Maybe we could meet up?

For the OP, Roi Et just has much more to offer.  Unless you like the quite life or rice paddy life, ROI Et would definitely be my choice.  I don't think I would really care to live in Kalasin City.  I only make a trip there bi-monthly for some foreign food at Big C and maybe a trip to global house for something I can't find in the village