The week that was in Thailand news: Thai and British rhetoric – same-same but different.

rooster59

The week that was in Thailand news: Thai and British rhetoric – same-same but different.

unnamed.jpg

We are all painfully aware of the rhetoric of politicians and “the authorities” in the west following bombing outrages. And the reaction to what happened in Manchester this week was no different.

The public are exhorted to “never let them win”. The perpetrators are “cowards”. Everything will be done to find those responsible who always seem to have been known to the security services beforehand but somehow slipped through the tight net.

Why do I get this feeling that they ARE winning and that the rhetoric is just a smokescreen for the authorities’ ineffectual security measures?  And why do I feel that blowing yourself up is not really cowardly….though misguided, it seems quite brave to me.

Meanwhile, the public – both online and in the UK itself – almost follow their leaders’ rhetorical suit with “messages of solidarity”, “calls for unity” and prayers at this “difficult time”.

The prayers didn’t work last time and isn’t it people who pray who are getting us in this mess anyway?

Call that a “Rooster Rhetorical” question…

I was almost thankful to be far away from England and in Thailand where the government rhetoric – albeit similarly formulaic – is actually fundamentally different in nature.

Monday’s nail bomb in a military hospital – an event every bit as despicable as Manchester despite no one dying on this occasion and few outside Thailand caring about it – had the government denying that they were behind it!

Somehow I cannot quite imagine Mrs May having to go down that route.

In recent weeks with other bombs we have even seen the habit of denial with one police chief even remarking inexplicably that a bomb “was not an explosive device”.

Again this would hardly wash with the British public but seems to wash over the great majority of the great Thai unwashed.

Then came the jewel in the crown of public comments that highlights the difference between a place like the UK and my beloved Siam – “Election may be postponed” screamed the headline quoting our general leader.

Bless! The UK politicians just decided to have a day or two off campaigning before hurling insults at each other again while the whole electoral process in Thailand could be off again due to some nutter with nails and nitrate.

As legendary columnist and Thai observer Bernard Trink used to say – “any comment would be superfluous!”

Though in the current climate where clicking on like might get you in trouble, making no comment can probably be construed as illegal.

The rhetoric was also cranked up a predictable notch with the reaction of Khun Kobkarn at tourism and sports. No sooner had the dust settled at Phra Mongkhut Klao hospital than here was the elegant minister saying that, thankfully, tourism would not be affected.

Many who remembered her recent pronouncements about promoting medical tourism were tittering uncontrollably into their morning coffee.

Still, the week ended with both the Thais and the Brits in agreement – Prayut said Friday echoing rumblings from England that the Thais would need to give up many of their accepted freedoms to enjoy security.

While the final image in my mind is of soldiers on the streets of Manchester – maybe Mrs May had taken a leaf out of Thailand’s book to cover her party’s cuts in police spending.

Fortunately there were still laughs connected to much less serious issues this week though the British were never far from the news.

Thaivisa published Foreign Office data that seemed to indicate that Blighty tourists – or what is left of them - were behaving worse than ever in the Kingdom with drugs and sex offences up. Though it was not completely clear whether the Brits were doing or victims of the latter.

Either way it made a good story with the three main factions on the forum enjoying themselves. These three are Brits who hate the Britain they left behind, Brits who hate Thailand they have left behind and the rest of the world that just hates Brits.

I just think they are all bonkers and try and keep my beak clean while still maintaining a sporting soft spot for the Premier League, Wimbledon and The Derby.

As if to confirm the rather “oorf” behavior of its errant nationals the story of drink driver and cop killer Anna Reese made for an entertaining ruse. Anna – a poor actress if her sobs at Huay Kwang nick are anything to go by – was at it again throwing a wobbly at a pub then driving drunk into a car and fleeing the scene.

Despite killing a policeman in 2015 she was bailed, an eventuality that was roundly condemned by a Thai anti drink driving group as hardly a deterrent to non-actresses.

This time she really needs jail rather than being allowed a quick trip to the nunnery and an “undisclosed” payment to the victim.

As this week’s Midweek Rant pointed out, the victims of people like Ms Reese are really all of us.

We won’t see her cash but I’d like to see her ugly mug behind bars and have a good old British snigger over my Earl Grey and M and S toasted crumpets.

Not that I’m British – after such a week who in their right mind would admit to that!

A variety of Thai “drama” stories filled the news pages this week. The word drama from English is used in the Thai press stories and while many forum posters want to see an end to Thaivisa’s obsession with such tabloid- tittle-tattle, Rooster is not one of them.

I love the insights into Thai culture and daily life that they reveal even though I have mostly seen it all before. All the offerings in the last seven days revolved around Thai beauty stereotyping.

The week began and ended with the tale of the “suay” nurse in Isaan who felt the need to quit tending to bed baths when her sexy images appeared alongside a claim that she wouldn’t let a soldier get anywhere near her.

I wasn’t entirely convinced that she wasn’t responsible for the furor which seemed to be confirmed later in the week when the modeling offers had started flooding in.

Another was followed by millions as a Thai bride bared her soul after a wedding outfitters gave her the kind of make-up usually associated with “Likae” (a kind of classical country soap) for her big day.

Facebook came to her salvation with a wave of sympathy and an eagerly accepted offer of a “re-wedding” set of more professional make-up and photos.

Not needing to use the internet to get her way was the other example of Thai “stereotypicality” (my new word for the week).

This was the cute girlie wowing the lads after she took over her dad’s car repair shop. (You might detect that Thailand is rubbing off on Rooster – either that or he has spent too long reading the compiled works of the Duke of Edinburgh).

Like the other teenager recently pictured in a Korat motorcycle shop, “Khao Fang” who had a “small chassis” was quite happy up to her ears in grease.

Such comments reminded me of a conversation I had with a Thai years ago bemoaning local stereotypes. Yes, she said, you needed to buy abroad to get a decent hi-fi.

Such “old school” behavior was something a retired teacher in Ratchaburi was accused of this week. Though I prefer the words assault or violence.

This relic of an ajarn was exonerated after beating a little girl blue with a stick because she couldn’t keep up with her classmates’ reading.

Rather than excuse his behavior as the education department did can we not bring back a bit of “old school” punishment along the lines of tying him to a post and having the locals throw rotten Thai fruit at him for a few weeks.

There is plenty in my local supermarket – which I won’t name – to choose from.

Meanwhile, motorcycles and their riders – so often a divisive topic on Thaivisa – were also well to the fore in the Thai news this week.

An interesting story from Bangkok suggests that the BMA are actually considering a scheme where members of the public can “dob-in” bikers traversing the sidewalks of the capital to get a share of the fines.

It made me wonder if foreigners reporting the bikes would need a work permit.

The potential snitchers would have had a field day in Krung Thep this week as the flooding was so severe that the footpaths were about all that was left as pedestrians headed for the safety of the road with its stationary traffic.

The governor held his hand up to say he was doing his best while the rest of us just drowned.

The fact of the matter is the train projects that have already made traffic intolerable in Bangkok now combined with the rains and inadequate drains will mean sheer hell for months if not years to come.

I think I shall just observe it all with my Schadenfreude brand binoculars from the 12th floor of my condo and look forward to venturing out again in about 2030.

Out in a boat, that is.

Better news for bikers of a certain ilk was the announcement that Harley Davidson plan to start making their lawnmower sounding wares in Thailand.

They could well have a word with their R and D department to come up with some new models as “Low Rider” and “Fatboy” are unlikely to be of much use in a steadily sinking and clogged Bangkok.

It reminded me of my favorite Thai song, the immortal “Made in Thailand” by Carabao that was top of the charts when I first came here in the 1980s.

I learnt its lyrics long before I could sing the National Anthem yet I always felt that both songs gave an equal sized window into the thinking of the locals.

Finally, my favorite story of the week was the one about the driver who went online to appeal for help after a monk mistakenly used a permanent marker to scribble some auspicious omens on the hood of his pristine new, white Toyota Vios.

He’d tried everything to erase the markings including thinner. While Thais online naturally suggested whitening cream.

Rooster had a good old surreptitious farang giggle thinking “som nam naa” (serves you right), but you could hardly blame the guy.

In the matter of Thai roads we probably all need some Divine help.

Rooster

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-05-28

32 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

And why do I feel that blowing yourself up is not really cowardly….though misguided, it seems quite brave to me.

If you think that blowing yourself up at a concert mostly attended by children is a brave act, then your definition of brave is very different to mine. It was an absolutely cowardly act, far from brave. Maybe you are cowardly too though, and so see this act as being a one of braveness? It could explain it, though I don't know you.

53 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

And why do I feel that blowing yourself up is not really cowardly….though misguided, it seems quite brave to me.

Killing yourself with the sole intention of killing Children is brave ?

Would you be brave enough to stand on a Manchester street corner and start shouting that out ?

Not that I’m British – after such a week who in their right mind would admit to that!

I am not sure what to say after reading this on a week that saw so much pain for so many young people.

If you are not British then I forgive you, for you are what you are.

If you are British, please do not take your pension anymore as these young ones pay for it.

I expect to be banned for that.

14 hours ago, rooster59 said:

To me, it seems that "blowing yourself up" for whatever cause or leader, is just utterly stupid and not at all brave. The real cowards, however, are the ones behind the scene, who never risk or give their own lives, but instead find and brainwash idiots to do it for them.

Someone has a strange idea of what constitutes courage, something presumably demonstrated in the absence of cowardice. 

And as for '... an event every bit as despicable as Manchester ...': hardly. An atrocity, certainly, but the deaths of children especially, by some 'brave' lunatic with a death wish, somewhat overshadows it. 

12 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

I am not sure what to say after reading this on a week that saw so much pain for so many young people.

If you are not British then I forgive you, for you are what you are.

If you are British, please do not take your pension anymore as these young ones pay for it.

I expect to be banned for that.

Banned? Why? Simply for being a moron? 

"Either way it made a good story with the three main factions on the forum enjoying themselves. These three are Brits who hate the Britain they left behind, Brits who hate Thailand they have left behind and the rest of the world that just hates Brits."

Rooster you omitted to mention the nice Kiwi bloke, whom during the course of defending Brits in general and his Brit mates in particular, on this forum, was slandered as being a "fool" by someone who was obviously from a 4th faction (planet Zorb) and whom got his nightly thrills sitting some where in soi 4 drinking coke, eyeing up Brit blokes, savoring their cockney accents and probably polishing his knob.....I couldn't believe the absence of outrage from your fellow country men and how you all let him get away with so many outright nasty comments. I hope your blokes sselected for the squad, show a bit bigger kajounas (spell check) during the up coming Lions tour to NZ!!! Go the All Blacks! :smile:

Does it take bravery, stupidity or blind allegiance to strap a bomb to your self and detonate it in a croud of anyone more less teenagers. Does it take bravery to plant a nail bomb in a military hospital? The culprit be wearing a red, yellow, camouflage or government uniform shirt. In the world press it seems the bigger spectacle is Melania refusing to hold her hubbies hand while media cameras were focused on them. I am curious did she smack his hand away because she is forced to walk behind him or as she hates his narcissistic craving of attention? Is the world coming to an end or simply a re-organization effort of wealth vs subordinates. I read about the possibility of the colonization of mars, it will be hilarious to witness the new tenants arguing about new colony leaders, should they be old money or new money, as only the privileged wealthy will be able to afford to escape this ravaged planet...

2 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

Well Rooster you opened a can of worms for sure. Its getting hard to ascertain whose life matters anymore. Syrians, Iraqui's, Somalia's killed by the thousands with no uproar do their lives matter?

the war on terror needs to be re thought. persisting with the current methods are not going to achieve anything.

Then of course there is always the alternative artucle of "Expats getting a good deal on a condo or hotel courtesy of Thai Visa" which will immediately follow the 2 headline stories. 5555

10 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

the war on terror needs to be re thought. persisting with the current methods are not going to achieve anything.

Yes, this whole New World Order thing will need re-examining, Personally I believe it will be discovered to be a world wide haves vs have nots revolution have nots have the numbers and haves posess the resources and of course their greed and status gives them the authority to divide and conquer creating a master/slave society. Even in slaves there were always the uppity ones that felt they were better than their brothren, and had dreams of masters rewarding their loyalty, such dreams never materializing. 

Edited by Grumpy Duck
Senility

18 hours ago, Laab Muu said:

If you think that blowing yourself up at a concert mostly attended by children is a brave act, then your definition of brave is very different to mine. It was an absolutely cowardly act, far from brave. Maybe you are cowardly too though, and so see this act as being a one of braveness? It could explain it, though I don't know you.

I think it must take bravery to blow yourself up.... I would be terrified and could not push the button.

But in this instance being 'brave' is not a noble or heroic act.  Don't confuse being brave with being noble or good.  Being brave is not always a good thing... as idiots, lunatics and mentally deranged people can have no fear and be very brave....   I think that was what the OP was meaning.  A coward would not have the strength to kill explode himself. 

But his actions were evil, misguided and disgusting... no one can argue with that. 

Edited by jak2002003

26 minutes ago, Grumpy Duck said:

Yes, this whole New World Order thing will need re-examining, Personally I believe it will be discovered to be a world wide haves vs have nots revolution have nots have the numbers and haves posess the resources and of course their greed and status gives them the authority to divide and conquer creating a master/slave society. Even in slaves there were always the uppity ones that felt they were better than their brothren, and had dreams of masters rewarding their loyalty, such dreams never materializing. 

there is no doubt we are going toward a system of haves and have nots. i recently returned to nz where 35% of people now live in rented dwellings. not sure if it is new world order or not but the system is driving people into heavy debt or poverty, or both.

43 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

Yes.  The current methods seeming to be.... 'show them they won't win by being united and having prayers and candle light vigils'. 

People have to stand up to bullies.... simply ignoring the problem will not make it go away.. in fact it will make it worse as these sick people will keep resorting to more and more drastic action to get some response out of the rest of us. 

Edited by jak2002003

23 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

I think it must take bravery to blow yourself up.... I would be terrified and could not push the button.

But in this instance being 'brave' is not a noble or heroic act.  Don't confuse being brave with being noble or good.  Being brave is not always a good thing

I'm not confusing being brave with being noble or good.

Meanwhile, the public – both online and in the UK itself – almost follow their leaders’ rhetorical suit with “messages of solidarity”, “calls for unity” and prayers at this “difficult time”.

The prayers didn’t work last time............................

Add to the list, Paris, Manchester, Bangkok,... and wherever the next 20 places are going to be next.

Reminds me of the well voiced definition of madness.... Keeping on doing the same thing and expecting a different result.

20b520c93f5599dbce34e98c6b96ad33.jpg

W

On 27/05/2017 at 7:57 PM, Laab Muu said:

I would say that blowing yourself up in the name of ypur cause

On 27/05/2017 at 7:57 PM, Laab Muu said:

I think that a suicide bomber,blowing himself up for his beliefs,is definetel braver than a lad sitting on a ship 2000klms from the front lines never to fire a gun in anger,just guide drones around the world and blow up people that might be guilty plus collateral damage.Both totally wrong, but one goes to die the other goes for breakfast the next morning with out a worry in the world

1 hour ago, louse1953 said:

I think that a suicide bomber,blowing himself up for his beliefs,is definetel braver than a lad sitting on a ship 2000klms from the front lines never to fire a gun in anger,just guide drones around the world and blow up people that might be guilty plus collateral damage.Both totally wrong, but one goes to die the other goes for breakfast the next morning with out a worry in the world

What <deleted>. Suicide bomber thinks he is going to get 72 virgins...but unbeknown to him there is no gaurantee that they will be female.... seriously, brave? Not at all. Brain washed useless despicable low lifes not to be glorified by being called brave or compared with someone who fights wearing a uniform.

When did the war on terror begin? When the first crazy commandeered an airliner saying "take me to Cuba" ? Or was it when Shrub declared war on Iraq for having WMD's and participating in the 911 attacks? (All proved to be lies) Chaney's Halliburton stocks are doing well I am sure, and of course the US Military Industrial Complex is doing great, the wealthy stock holders run to the banks making sure each account is not larger than the max covered by FDIC aka taxpayers. Then the right wingers claim their wealthy benefactors pay too much in taxes, but liberal billionaires claim their tax rates are fair as they pay a smaller tax rate than their secretaries. US History has proven when taxes on the wealthy are high the middle class is created & grows. The elimination of the US middle class did not happen overnight it started with Nixon then Reagan reinstated the "horse & robin" theory of economics renaming it "trickle down". It has never worked since first thought of in 1700's France. We saw what happened then. The US middle class is almost eliminated now, soon the rest of the worlds middle classes will fall and there will be nothing but owners and slaves. Think about it. Did I get sidetracked off the topic? Damned senility. 

The idea of bombing people for your cause is a cowardly act, as bombing is not an accurate way to kill just your enemies, it also kills

many innocent people, and that is why it is  considered cowardly. Bravery is the people who use guns to go out and fight the enemy,

because if you can see your enemy, they can also see you. A suicide bomber is not usually a leader, but is a follower who blindly goes

out into a crowd as they are instructed to do by some leader of a group. These brainwashed losers take their lives an others for someone  elses

cause.  I hate all terrorist and rebel groups who use bombings as their way to go after people who they feel do not support them or their ideas.

Geezer

My take of reality is that Britain has become over ran with immigrants,and refugees that are Muslim, and who for some part want to go back

to their own countries like Libya and Syria, and such, and when they do they get mad at Christainsand sch and go back to Britain to blow them selves and others

up. In Thailand there is Muslim problems especially in the deep south, but they are  not the same kind of Muslims as the ones who have escaped parts of Africa

or te ME.  Bombing though seems to be the new way that these mugs and terrorists like to do their fighting and damage, and that is just wrong and cowardly..

My opinion of course

Geezer

Churchill was once heard to comment about the British and Americans when he was Prime minister during WWII.

He said that the British and Americans were two countries with a common shared history and culture, separated only by a common language.

Think  about, you will get it.

8 hours ago, Grumpy Duck said:

When did the war on terror begin? When the first crazy commandeered an airliner saying "take me to Cuba" ? Or was it when Shrub declared war on Iraq for having WMD's and participating in the 911 attacks? (All proved to be lies) Chaney's Halliburton stocks are doing well I am sure, and of course the US Military Industrial Complex is doing great, the wealthy stock holders run to the banks making sure each account is not larger than the max covered by FDIC aka taxpayers. Then the right wingers claim their wealthy benefactors pay too much in taxes, but liberal billionaires claim their tax rates are fair as they pay a smaller tax rate than their secretaries. US History has proven when taxes on the wealthy are high the middle class is created & grows. The elimination of the US middle class did not happen overnight it started with Nixon then Reagan reinstated the "horse & robin" theory of economics renaming it "trickle down". It has never worked since first thought of in 1700's France. We saw what happened then. The US middle class is almost eliminated now, soon the rest of the worlds middle classes will fall and there will be nothing but owners and slaves. Think about it. Did I get sidetracked off the topic? Damned senility. 

Not senile yet Duck.The majority think  the war that will never is beween various nutter islam groups and the west.Islamic nutters have finally worked out a way to bring the terror to us,so we can learn what real war is all about instead of glancing at tv.It is not nice being bombed and staved 24/7for months at a timed.This is how the the west want it.The real war is between the haves and havenots and there can only be one winner there.Thats where are heading in the west as welffare for the needy is being axed,because the rich stillwant  a bigger slice of a decreasing pie or you want be preselected at the next election

20 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

Well Rooster you opened a can of worms for sure. Its getting hard to ascertain whose life matters anymore. Syrians, Iraqui's, Somalia's killed by the thousands with no uproar do their lives matter?

boo hoo  , waaa waaa .   worry about your own welfare before you mention the perpetrators of death , misery , and mayhem ....i can see you never served and are not well traveled . armchair liberals... or is it bar stool liberals  like your self live in a fluffy cocoon of your own values . thats ok , we need all types .