thai wife on EEA . can she travel to thailand via dublin

my wife got here to belfast UK on an EEA visa in 2006.        

she now has indefinate leave to remain ( ILR ) in uk for 10 more years.

she wants to fly back to thailand to visit her family

could i take the chance and book her flight but i suspect the airline would stop her ?     what would be the case here.   or would airline even notice ? 

she will fly with me ( irish & british passport holder ) 

can she fly from dublin ?     

THANKS

PJ

Edited by pumpjack

2 minutes ago, oxo1947 said:

If she doesn't leave the terminal.....then she is just in transit.....I guess OK.....is a guess good enough.....:coffee1:

thanks,  a guess is much appreciated but i need facts  ;-)

The following thread has some relevant information, it did get messy, however, seems the most appropriate thing to do is to get an Irish visa, which is free and simple to get.

I think the question is if the wife can reach the international gate from a so to say domestic flight (Belfast) without passing the border control.
If yes there is nothing needed for a thai.

31 minutes ago, mgb said:

I think the question is if the wife can reach the international gate from a so to say domestic flight (Belfast) without passing the border control.
If yes there is nothing needed for a thai.

I suspect the OP might want to travel to Dublin via land.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mattd said:

I suspect the OP might want to travel to Dublin via land.

yes,  we are in belfast - uk.     dublin is 65 kilometres  from belfast overland with no border so we will get to airport easilly.

so back to the question.    will airline stop her boarding on way there or way back ?  

21 minutes ago, pumpjack said:

so back to the question.    will airline stop her boarding on way there or way back ?  

Have a look at the thread I linked to, in that the OP did get his wife an Irish visa in the end as it simply less hasle, theoretically she could argue the toss with the Irish immigration reference the EEA rights etc. but it worked out easier just to get the visa and it is mentioned that most airline staff do not know the rules so would most likely insist on seeing a visa, especially returning.

yes,  we are in belfast - uk.     dublin is 65 kilometres  from belfast overland with no border so we will get to airport easilly.

. This should of course have been in your original question, if you wanted an accurate answer.

Your wife will be attempting to board a flight from Dublin to Thailand, normally check in staff would be looking for a visa for Thailand or a return ticket, I'm assuming your wife still has a Thai passport with the same name that's on her ticket, if so she meets the requirements to travel to Thailand and should be allowed to travel.

Her return journey might well be problematical, she's flying back to Dublin, but she's a visa national, so the check in staff may not let her board without a visa for the final destination of her flight, Dublin. They would allow her to board a flight to the UK as she has ILR, but I doubt very much if they'll understand that it's a relatively short drive to Belfast and there are no border controls.

The other obstacle might be the Border Control at Dublin airport, in theory they could refuse her entry to Ireland, they will see that she has ILR for the UK, but they don't know for sure that she's going to go there.

There might be some arrangements in force that would allow her to do the journey she's planning, but I'm not aware of them.

Maybe ask Irish Immigration or your carrier.
  • Like 1

On ‎28‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 8:17 AM, pumpjack said:

she now has indefinate leave to remain ( ILR ) in uk for 10 more years

With respect, she doesn't have ILR, which is issued under the UK's immigration rules. She entered the UK with an EEA family permit, so if anything she has PR under the EEA regulations.

If she has a residence card issued under the EEA regulations which states her UK residence is because she is the family member of a named EEA national, you, then, provided she is travelling with or to join you, she does not need a visa to enter another EEA state; her passport and residence card is sufficient.

But, the Freedom of Movement Directive does not apply if entering the state of which the EEA national is a citizen, and as you are Irish she may therefore need an Irish visa to enter the Republic. The Irish visa waiver programme referenced by Mattd above only applies to holders of UK visit visas; not residents.

Slightly complicated because you are a dual Irish/British citizen; the rules changed since your wife obtained her EEA permit and dual citizens cannot now use one of their citizenships to obtain family permits for their non EEA family members to live with them in the country of their other citizenship.

1 hour ago, pumpjack said:

thankyou ,  i have sent an email off to INIS ireland so hopefully get one back soon from them. 

Please let us know their answer.

Edited by 7by7
Addendum
  • Like 2

On May 29, 2017 at 2:15 PM, pumpjack said:

It's actually about 168 kilometres.