Why everything is closing early and Bangkok nightlife may never be the same

webfact

52 minutes ago, CLW said:
3 hours ago, sanemax said:
You are talking about unclean , filthy food stalls that sell unhealthy food in unhygienic conditions and as they dont pay nay rent , they can undercut the restaurants who do have to pay rent and taxes .
   If tourists cannot afford to eat in restaurants and rely on eating rancid food on the streets , blocking the path so locals cannot walk down those streets , then those tourists need to find a destination to go to, where they can afford to eat in restaurants , rather than eating on the street

I wonder if you have ever tried some street food? Some vendors have given a Michelin award for their good food

Well, A street food vendor got a Michelin star , not "some", just the one .

I did try street food once, but then a huge rat ran over my foot, I didnt try it again

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Well, A street food vendor got a Michelin star , not "some", just the one .

I did try street food once, but then a huge rat ran over my foot, I didnt try it again

Sadly naive.

There is no health Dept. here rats and maybe more rats are running around the kitchens of even some of the better restaurants in town.

Just now, bkk6060 said:

Sadly naive.

There is no health Dept. here rats and maybe more rats are running around the kitchens of even some of the better restaurants in town.

I am sure that there is, rats are in every Country , restaurants try to keep rats out of their kitchens and shop floor,  street food vendors cannot even try to keep rats way .

Also, the street vendors tend to leave their rubbish on the streets, which attracts even more rats 

3 hours ago, CLW said:
5 hours ago, sanemax said:
You are talking about unclean , filthy food stalls that sell unhealthy food in unhygienic conditions and as they dont pay nay rent , they can undercut the restaurants who do have to pay rent and taxes .
   If tourists cannot afford to eat in restaurants and rely on eating rancid food on the streets , blocking the path so locals cannot walk down those streets , then those tourists need to find a destination to go to, where they can afford to eat in restaurants , rather than eating on the street

Then go to feast on your lobster in a five star hotel and leave others their choice

Eating on the street is what poor people do in Bangkok....Thais included.

6 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

You obviously have no idea about the area I asked, or what you are talking about.

Kindly accept my apology for the unrelated rant earlier.

I must have had the pencils up my nostrils at the time.

I've no idea what's happened to those massage places.

Is Mrs Balbir's still there and open?

1 hour ago, InMyShadow said:

More like poor farang pensioners and feral back packers, taxi scum and hookers . Thank God the THAIS HAD THE sense to shut down those rat traps!

I worked in London during the 1960's on the new Victoria line at Victoria station, London. Overtons (top eating joint) were complaining about work causing water leaks in their basements. I tagged along with the engineers to inspect but was told to tie string around my trousers above the knee. When we got to the basement there were rats everywhere; hence the tied up strides.

Eating on the street is what poor people do in Bangkok....Thais included.
Or people who are clever, like good and authentic food, understand and respect somehow the culture of eating outside.
By the way the poor Thai people you mentioned would maybe not so poor if you would support them by eating at their stall.

More like poor farang pensioners and feral back packers, taxi scum and hookers . Thank God the THAIS HAD THE sense to shut down those rat traps!
Snob! If you feel so elitary why you not live in a developed country that better suit your needs.
Oh wait, probably you are one of those important baht millionaires.
I apologise...

40 minutes ago, CLW said:

Snob! If you feel so elitary why you not live in a developed country that better suit your needs.

Thailand is a developed Country and it is developing even further by removing all the filth from the streets .

If you want to live in filth on the streets, you need to move to somewhere in Africa to suit your own needs 

49 minutes ago, CLW said:

Or people who are clever, like good and authentic food, understand and respect somehow the culture of eating outside.
By the way the poor Thai people you mentioned would maybe not so poor if you would support them by eating at their stall.

I'm not criticizing street food as such...simply pointing out the truth.

Backpackers tend to prefer the even cheaper 7/11 option.

No judgement here...do what you want but Bangkokians mostly are in the malls or restaurants if they can afford them.

Thailand is a developed Country and it is developing even further by removing all the filth from the streets .
   If you want to live in filth on the streets, you need to move to somewhere in Africa to suit your own needs 
Developing to a sterile could-be-everywhere-in-the-world city boring like KL and Singapore.
You can enjoy your nice new world but why have to take away the old?
It bothers you that much if a few shops and stalls trying to make a living are in your sight?
I'm out here anyway because the thread was about the nightlife and not street food.

Just now, CLW said:

Developing to a sterile could-be-everywhere-in-the-world city boring like KL and Singapore.
You can enjoy your nice new world but why have to take away the old?
It bothers you that much if a few shops and stalls trying to make a living are in your sight?
I'm out here anyway because the thread was about the nightlife and not street food.

I have absolutely no qualms about shops or even street food .

I eat street style food from non street locations most days , in shops .

The pavement is for people to walk along , they are not for people to set up food stalls on, causing walkers to walk in the road .

They deliberately block the pavement completely, giving people no where to walk, except on the road .

RECLAIM THE STREETS , STOP THEM BEING USED FOR PROFIT AND GIVE THEM BACK TO THE PEOPLE 

27 minutes ago, sanemax said:

nothing filthy..just not an American plastic McDonald. Unhygenic stalls get no customers and don't thrive. They may appear filthy to your effette, borderline racist views but street food is the heart  of Asia. Unlike in restaurants you can see any problems. From the Hilton to McDonald's the hidden kitchens have been shown to have rat excrement, maggots, filthy behaviour by staff ..You are just too deluded and inexperienced to understand one issue. It's a matter of choice. You are merely imposing your western cultural values on Asians. Hygiene is not an issue. Your bigotry is. Where are you from that has no food hygiene problems?. Where do you eat? What is your income? Learn a bit more about street food of the world and it's role in our cultural heritage. Don't worry you won't have to read a book! you can watch it on TV....or better still go home...and take your racist sensibilities with you. 

1 minute ago, The manic said:

3 minutes ago, The manic said:

nothing filthy..just not an American plastic McDonald. Unhygenic stalls get no customers and don't thrive. They may appear filthy to your effette, borderline racist views but street food is the heart  of Asia. Unlike in restaurants you can see any problems. From the Hilton to McDonald's the hidden kitchens have been shown to have rat excrement, maggots, filthy behaviour by staff ..You are just too deluded and inexperienced to understand one issue. It's a matter of choice. You are merely imposing your western cultural values on Asians. Hygiene is not an issue. Your bigotry is. Where are you from that has no food hygiene problems?. Where do you eat? What is your income? Learn a bit more about street food of the world and it's role in our cultural heritage. Don't worry you won't have to read a book! you can watch it on TV....or better still go home...and take your racist sensibilities with you. 

They have no running water to wash their hands or clean the dishes, its all done in a bowl of water .

There are usually rat and cockroach infestations , have you been to those places when they have closed for the night ?

Seen the rats running over the stalls ?

Rats and cockroaches everywhere , along with the stale oil on the floor, clogging up the drains .

The Hilton MAY have dirty kitchens, BUT, that doesnt make the street food clean.

You have suggested that I am imposing my Western Values on Asians , its actually the opposite, YOU are telling Asians what they should be doing .

Thai authorities have clamped down on street food and you are the telling them that they shouldnt be doing so

You may think that you are being cultural , sitting down with rats and cockroaches and breathing in petrol fumes, whilst eating some cheap unhealthy oily noodles on the kerb side .

Maybe you are a street liver back home ? 

43 minutes ago, sanemax said:

They have no running water to wash their hands or clean the dishes, its all done in a bowl of water .

There are usually rat and cockroach infestations , have you been to those places when they have closed for the night ?

Seen the rats running over the stalls ?

Rats and cockroaches everywhere , along with the stale oil on the floor, clogging up the drains .

The Hilton MAY have dirty kitchens, BUT, that doesnt make the street food clean.

You have suggested that I am imposing my Western Values on Asians , its actually the opposite, YOU are telling Asians what they should be doing .

Thai authorities have clamped down on street food and you are the telling them that they shouldnt be doing so

You may think that you are being cultural , sitting down with rats and cockroaches and breathing in petrol fumes, whilst eating some cheap unhealthy oily noodles on the kerb side .

Maybe you are a street liver back home ? 

If you dont like them don't just use them. I'm 64 and have been eating street food food for over 40 years. I believe in choice and reject cultural imperialists. You dont need running water from a tap to guarantee hygiene..you need a sequence of water in bowls.  I have lived in to countries and eaten on the street in most off then.  may i suggest you look at the issue of the role of importance of street food around the world.  You have nothing but bigotry to contribute to this debate just fantasies based on soft, inexperienced, anodyne life experiences.  Millions and millions and millions of people eat street food and thrive. Leave them alone .Drink your starbucks and chomp on your fat and sugar burgers.   .we wont close them down but dont you dare demonstrate reacist patronising contempt for the people whose lifestyle you don't like. Where are you from? How many times did street food make you sick? What do you eat ? GM food? Super fructose? Where are you from? Why are you here. Please take your patronising race hate to another forum or make friends with Thais and eat with them. Or are all Thais filthy to you because they eat street food?  You spout racist rubbish which denies freedom of choice and tries to make Asia as an anodyne Disneyland for ignorant ,soft,adventurous foreigners. How long habe you been here? How many decades? What gives you the right to express an opinion on a subject that has put tens of thousands of people out of work...And is leading to a historic loss of Thai recipes? If you dont like it leave it. The people ,the Farang who continue to support the regime are despicable. I repeat, sincerely: Where are you from that has turned you into such a life/ food/experience cuck? Pathetic. You should be ashamed but your entitlement prevents you of shame. Go home. If you have any friends or family who can tolerate you. Be happy. As Bob Marley said: : "Live the life you live. Love the live you live." 

1 minute ago, The manic said:

You have nothing but bigotry to contribute to this debate just fantasies based on soft, inexperienced, anodyne life experiences.  Millions and millions and millions of people eat street food and thrive. Leave them alone .Drink your starbucks and chomp on your fat and sugar burgers. 

You really have no idea what you are talking about , you are just making things up.

My neighbour is a street food seller , I see her fly covered food drying out and her stall is left at night in the car park, where there are rats and cockroaches .

I have never had a starbucks drink and Ive never had a sugar burger

12 minutes ago, The manic said:

Please take your patronising race hate to another forum or make friends with Thais and eat with them.

Another false accusation .

Give me one example of "race hate" by myself?

I have not even mentioned anyones race, let alone shown any race hate

You are delusional

7 hours ago, CLW said:
11 hours ago, sanemax said:

Everyone that earns more then the average Thai salary. Come down from your high horse...

I'll stay on my horse.  Let Tonto deal with it. 

a0c1f22873dfca98e4b018f97fa394fb.jpg

... I did pretty well with street food  and crowded sidewalks 40 years ago.  One learns to pick and choose.  

1 hour ago, The manic said:

... If you dont like them don't just use them. I'm 64 and have been eating street food food for over 40 years...

I'm 64 and I did that 40 years ago.  Street food wasn't too bad, but get out into the boondocks and there was some weird stuff.  Being a vegetarian, poor farmers loved me because I wouldn't eat a precious chicken.  But eating fresh fern fronds and weird little berries was unsettling.  Usually it was sticky rice, salt and hot pepper. I can't recall being sick from eating that food for 3 years.

... Please take your patronising race hate to another forum or make friends with Thais and eat with them...

I made friends with Thais.  Married one.  Then we'd eat at the mother-in-law's house and badmouth Chinese, Indians and others.  As the family had roots in Vietnam, we'd even bash Thais though her siblings are half Thai. A good time was had by all. I love multiculturalism.  5555.

Back then, I did visit Penang and Singapore.  While not quite street food, the open air restaurants and food stalls in the multi-story markets were great.  Pretty clean.

Thailand is devolping. I don't know of any other country that has resteraunts squatting on its main rds. 
Thailand is not here for your 3rd world charm amusement. What next bring back the elephants?

Move on dude and seek other backwards places perhaps Somalia? Please keep in touch

You are exaggerating. Has nothing to do with 3rd world, which is by the way a racist term and not used anymore.
They are called developing countries.

Back to the topic. Is is indeed called charme and uniqueness of Thai street food that draws thousands of visitors here.
And obviously you haven't been outside your cave for long time.
Street food is all over Asia and now even spread to the west in certain ways by the food trucks.

On 05/04/2018 at 6:58 PM, The manic said:

If you dont like them don't just use them. I'm 64 and have been eating street food food for over 40 years. I believe in choice and reject cultural imperialists. You dont need running water from a tap to guarantee hygiene..you need a sequence of water in bowls.  I have lived in to countries and eaten on the street in most off then.  may i suggest you look at the issue of the role of importance of street food around the world.  You have nothing but bigotry to contribute to this debate just fantasies based on soft, inexperienced, anodyne life experiences.  Millions and millions and millions of people eat street food and thrive. Leave them alone .Drink your starbucks and chomp on your fat and sugar burgers.   .we wont close them down but dont you dare demonstrate reacist patronising contempt for the people whose lifestyle you don't like. Where are you from? How many times did street food make you sick? What do you eat ? GM food? Super fructose? Where are you from? Why are you here. Please take your patronising race hate to another forum or make friends with Thais and eat with them. Or are all Thais filthy to you because they eat street food?  You spout racist rubbish which denies freedom of choice and tries to make Asia as an anodyne Disneyland for ignorant ,soft,adventurous foreigners. How long habe you been here? How many decades? What gives you the right to express an opinion on a subject that has put tens of thousands of people out of work...And is leading to a historic loss of Thai recipes? If you dont like it leave it. The people ,the Farang who continue to support the regime are despicable. I repeat, sincerely: Where are you from that has turned you into such a life/ food/experience cuck? Pathetic. You should be ashamed but your entitlement prevents you of shame. Go home. If you have any friends or family who can tolerate you. Be happy. As Bob Marley said: : "Live the life you live. Love the live you live." 

You don't sound like a well rounded and happy 64 year old.

On 4/5/2018 at 8:52 PM, RonniePickering22 said:

Kindly accept my apology for the unrelated rant earlier.

I must have had the pencils up my nostrils at the time.

I've no idea what's happened to those massage places.

Is Mrs Balbir's still there and open?

Ronaldo have you been hacked.?

On 4/6/2018 at 10:06 AM, CLW said:

You are exaggerating. Has nothing to do with 3rd world, which is by the way a racist term and not used anymore.
They are called developing countries.

Back to the topic. Is is indeed called charme and uniqueness of Thai street food that draws thousands of visitors here.
And obviously you haven't been outside your cave for long time.
Street food is all over Asia and now even spread to the west in certain ways by the food trucks.

No, people still use the term third world and it does not make them racist. It refers to countries that keep themselves down by rampant and blatant corruption, which leads to inequality and inefficiency.

Archived