Why everything is closing early and Bangkok nightlife may never be the same

webfact

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A buddy once suggested to me not judge people who drink.  Because, you have no idea about who they are, what they have been thru in life.  Many of the guys sitting in the bars at 10am are just trying to get through their day and are not hurting anyone, so let me be.

A buddy once suggested to me not judge people who drink.  Because, you have no idea about who they are, what they have been thru in life.  Many of the guys sitting in the bars at 10am are just trying to get through their day and are not hurting anyone, so let me be.

I judge people like that quite harshly, 10am is far too late to start drinking.

• 2 weeks later...
On 13-9-2017 at 12:00 AM, Damrongsak said:

Used to be fun in Patpong back in 1977/78 when the military had a curfew.  I think it was midnight.  You had to be off the street until maybe 5 a.m.  At 11;30, you could get a pricey but very fast ride across town.  Driver would have to park and sleep in an alley somewhere.  But the prices on available girls at that hour went down to offset the taxi price.

Correct and I was there too when all lights in Patpong went out at 00:00 midnight sharp.

It's kind of strange how party goers react now since most countries just have 24 hours in a full day :-)

My friend and I traveled to Patong Beach on Phuket later which was still a paradise but everything closed by law at midnight there also.

Nobody complained and we were up early in the morning and enjoyed daylight more than tourists do now, partying until the wee hours of the morning, sleeping most daylight hours and going out when it's dark outside.

And we still have just 24 hours :-) 

• 5 months later...
On 5/30/2017 at 8:15 AM, scotchonrocks said:

Not much thinking going on here. What is their objective? If it's to kill tourism, they're on the right track. Tourists likely to piss off to KL which is breathing lots of life these days.

The end of Thai night life has been screamed about since the law was changed during Taksins' first

term in office.

1 hour ago, moe666 said:

The end of Thai night life has been screamed about since the law was changed during Taksins' first

term in office.

It has been observed, and correctly so that Bangkok is not a patch on what it used to be.  Street life and street food has stifled, late high pop up restaurants and bars have been suppressed. Clubs close early.  GoGo bars are tame.  Nobody is screaming. Just stating facts. It's crap these days.... and nights. Particularly badly hit is lower suk soi 4 to 23. Ruined! Utterly joyless. What used to be a joyful,exhikerating walk and visual feast with stalls, hawkers and vendors is now tedious, sterile stained pathway.  What a mess. 

On 9/11/2017 at 10:10 PM, sanemax said:

Some people need to live and work in the City, and would like a clean environment and not have the inconvenience of noise and drunks at night

So don't live near the entertainment zones... Or get some ear plugs. It's a big city. I worked there when the MRT was being built.  You don't have to live on lower suk. This clean out of people is social cleansing and is ruining the nation. Now they are trying to run the buses in Pattaya! 

48 minutes ago, The manic said:

It has been observed, and correctly so that Bangkok is not a patch on what it used to be.  Street life and street food has stifled, late high pop up restaurants and bars have been suppressed. Clubs close early.  GoGo bars are tame.  Nobody is screaming. Just stating facts. It's crap these days.... and nights. Particularly badly hit is lower suk soi 4 to 23. Ruined! Utterly joyless. What used to be a joyful,exhikerating walk and visual feast with stalls, hawkers and vendors is now tedious, sterile stained pathway.  What a mess. 

Thats the way the majority like it .

Thats the way the majority like it .
What majority? Was there ever a change or law in Thailand according to people's wishes or needs?
I'm afraid that Bangkok might turn into another boring city, being Singapore and KL on top of my list.

Just now, CLW said:

What majority? Was there ever a change or law in Thailand according to people's wishes or needs?
I'm afraid that Bangkok might turn into another boring city, being Singapore and KL on top of my list.

Which cities do you find not to be boring ?

5 minutes ago, CLW said:
8 minutes ago, sanemax said:
Which cities do you find not to be boring ?

Plenty of others in Asia and around the world bur the two named are boring in my opinion, especially for street and nightlife

Which cities are those ?

59 minutes ago, CLW said:

No majority voted for it or the current administration. The destruction of Thai street food in BKK disgusted the whole world for economic, culinary and cultural reasons.  North Korea is the aim of the current lot. A hungry cowed population, enslavedvto create mall and hotels they can never stay in and eventually inner city transport which will just shift people between malls. Very sad. Even sadder that the beneficiarys of western democracies come here and support the mass oppression of the Thai population. Hypocrites.. 

I see massage alley off Soi 11 near Villa market to Soi 13 are completely gone.  All vacant spaces.  Had some good times there. 

Did they move?  Or another example of what I guess is the attempt "clean up" of this place.

On 01/04/2018 at 11:40 AM, bkk6060 said:

I see massage alley off Soi 11 near Villa market to Soi 13 are completely gone.  All vacant spaces.  Had some good times there. 

Did they move?  Or another example of what I guess is the attempt "clean up" of this place.

More like making loads and loads of cash.

This has nothing whatsoever to do with the government.

I'd agree however that the city needs better strategic planning to create community centres of cultural interest whatsoever those might be lol.

Bottom line is a condo development lines many pockets quickly and the mongering farangs can bugger off with their whinges.

I suggest moving to Pattaya or Phnom Penh if you don't like the changes.

On 3/29/2018 at 12:54 AM, The manic said:

The destruction of Thai street food in BKK disgusted the whole world for economic, culinary and cultural reasons.

Now come on, a few felang cheap Charlies got annoyed .

Streets are for walking along

Roads are for driving along and restaurants are for eating in .

On 3/29/2018 at 12:54 AM, The manic said:

Even sadder that the beneficiarys of western democracies come here and support the mass oppression of the Thai population. Hypocrites.. 

A few illegal street food sellers got moved from public spaces , that hardly counts as oppression of the Thai population .

They block the pavements and leave filth behind , it benefits everyone, when they are moved on

Just now, RonniePickering22 said:

More like making loads and loads of cash.

This has nothing whatsoever to do with the government.

I'd agree however that the city needs better strategic planning to create community centres of cultural interest whatsoever those might be lol.

Bottom line is a condo development lines many pockets quickly and the mongering farangs can bugger off with their whinges.

I suggest moving to Pattaya or Phnom Penh if you don't like the changes.

You obviously have no idea about the area I asked, or what you are talking about.

25 minutes ago, sanemax said:

A few illegal street food sellers got moved from public spaces , that hardly counts as oppression of the Thai population .

They block the pavements and leave filth behind , it benefits everyone, when they are moved on

the wholesale social cleansing thousands of people, the destruction of people's ways of making a living was not just a few dirty people on. it benefitted no one which is evident when you walk down lower suk now. Although one would have no reason to as lovely stalls the vendors,the food sellers have gone. The great pop up bars have gone. The wilful destruction of vibrant street live has caught the attention of world especially regarding its devastating destruction of unique  Thai food culture which as with many Asian countries relies on street food to preserve it unique heritage. You and your ilk may want to spend your time in American franchises where many Thais can not afford to visit but tourists do not. At least they want the choice. Yes the forced removal of thousands of people is an element of oppression. If you didn't like lower suk as it was why use it. Walk on the other side of the road or use the Overground train. let's be clear: the few illegal street traders you refer to are tens of thousands of traditional Thai small businesses which were there a long time before you came here and hopefully they will return. The scandal has been highlighted internationally.   The destruction of such rich vibrancy and street life and the revenue it generated is a  small price to pay for spoilt whiners moaning about clutter. Where are you from that is so bland you Thailand to mirror it?

6 minutes ago, The manic said:

The wilful destruction of vibrant street live has caught the attention of world especially regarding its devastating destruction of unique  Thai food culture which as with many Asian countries relies on street food to preserve it unique heritage

You are talking about unclean , filthy food stalls that sell unhealthy food in unhygienic conditions and as they dont pay nay rent , they can undercut the restaurants who do have to pay rent and taxes .

If tourists cannot afford to eat in restaurants and rely on eating rancid food on the streets , blocking the path so locals cannot walk down those streets , then those tourists need to find a destination to go to, where they can afford to eat in restaurants , rather than eating on the street

13 minutes ago, The manic said:

let's be clear: the few illegal street traders you refer to are tens of thousands of traditional Thai small businesses which were there a long time before you came here and hopefully they will return

Although I am not the person who forced them to move and I had no say on the matter .

The Thai authorities forced them to move and its just something that I agree with .

I do prefer to eat in places that have a certain level of hygiene , like running water wear people can was their hands and the dishes , so the chef doesnt have to walk behind a bus to go to the toilet , then come back to continue cooking without washing his hands , food should be kept chilled and in containers , away from rats and cockroaches .

The food waste needs to be placed in rubbish bins, rather than just left by the side of the road .

Cooking oil should not be thrown down drains , which causes a blockage and a disgusting smell .

Food stalls should not be left overnight in dark alleys , where rats and cockroaches roam free .

Tourists who go abroad , to eat on the streets , with rats and cockroaches at their feet , should consider to spend just one week on holiday and with the money saved, they can spend an extra 20 Baht per meal and then eat in restaurants

Everyone that earns more then the average Thai salary. Come down from your high horse...

You are talking about unclean , filthy food stalls that sell unhealthy food in unhygienic conditions and as they dont pay nay rent , they can undercut the restaurants who do have to pay rent and taxes .
   If tourists cannot afford to eat in restaurants and rely on eating rancid food on the streets , blocking the path so locals cannot walk down those streets , then those tourists need to find a destination to go to, where they can afford to eat in restaurants , rather than eating on the street
Then go to feast on your lobster in a five star hotel and leave others their choice

I wonder if you have ever tried some street food? Some vendors have given a Michelin award for their good food

49 minutes ago, CLW said:
3 hours ago, sanemax said:

Then go to feast on your lobster in a five star hotel and leave others their choice

You are exaggerating , the issue isnt about eating expensive food . 

Its about the location .

You can quite easily have Thai food in local cafes and the price is about 10 Baht more than the street food and it the 10 Baht extra goes towards the cost of them paying rent money, rather than squatting on the street

Archived