Why everything is closing early and Bangkok nightlife may never be the same

webfact

I find this topic laughable.

The young people are complaining about eh fascism and the military government because it wants to make rules to keep people safer and cut down on the alcoholism related injuries.

The older people are trying to explain that there are reasons but are just being told they don't understand what it is like to be young.

Reminds me of many discussions that I had with my daughter and she is now having with her kids.

When I was in my mid 20's I partied, didn't drink a lot but was out until 2.  Those were the days.  The rules were there but as long as you had id that was reasonable you could get in.   The bars were either full of University students that did not know how to drink or control themselves after too many.  The other bars had plenty of good looking women that were either married and hubby was out of town or were single parents.  The joke was that although there was plenty of great girls and ladies there were still the hookers looking to make a buck.

The issue in this country is that for too long the rules were relaxed.  The same thing happened in Toronto and New York city.  People got the wrong attitude about area and they had to be cleaned up.  There is no personal responsibility in this country and therefore daddy has to step in just we older guys did with our kids and make rules to keep them safe.

As for NANA it is an area that in 10 years will be so clean people will not believe the stories.  All you have to do is look at the construction that is happening.  Tell me the Sheraton and all the new hotels are gong to want that crap in their front door.

Cowboy may last awhile but i am sure it will eventually move to another part of town.  It is called progress whether you like it or not.  Even Patpong is going through changes albeit slower with higher rents.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

The young people are complaining about eh fascism and the military government because it wants to make rules to keep people safer and cut down on the alcoholism related injuries.

The older people are trying to explain that there are reasons but are just being told they don't understand what it is like to be young.

Reminds me of many discussions that I had with my daughter and she is now having with her kids.

When I was in my mid 20's I partied, didn't drink a lot but was out until 2.  Those were the days.  The rules were there but as long as you had id that was reasonable you could get in.   The bars were either full of University students that did not know how to drink or control themselves after too many.  The other bars had plenty of good looking women that were either married and hubby was out of town or were single parents.  The joke was that although there was plenty of great girls and ladies there were still the hookers looking to make a buck.

The issue in this country is that for too long the rules were relaxed.  The same thing happened in Toronto and New York city.  People got the wrong attitude about area and they had to be cleaned up.  There is no personal responsibility in this country and therefore daddy has to step in just we older guys did with our kids and make rules to keep them safe.

As for NANA it is an area that in 10 years will be so clean people will not believe the stories.  All you have to do is look at the construction that is happening.  Tell me the Sheraton and all the new hotels are gong to want that crap in their front door.

Cowboy may last awhile but i am sure it will eventually move to another part of town.  It is called progress whether you like it or not.  Even Patpong is going through changes albeit slower with higher rents.

Sleazy red-light areas are not the only nightlife places in BKK. 

On 26/06/2017 at 7:38 PM, SupermarineS6B said:

Nothing in Soi 11 ?  Cheap Charlies.....36 years...... One of the best street bars going...... closed along with loads of other Farang frequented bars.... 

One of the best lol

People have been talking about the demise of Nana Plaza for over 15 years and it's still going. I fully expect it to still be here in another 10 years.

People have been talking about the demise of Nana Plaza for over 15 years and it's still going. I fully expect it to still be here in another 10 years.

I expect it to burn down with a carelessly flicked cigarette. It would be engulfed with flames within minutes. Surprised it hasn't happened

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, CLW said:

So which locations in Bangkok are currently opened beyond the 2am curfew? Want to go out my some friends arrived here

I'm coming to BKK next month, but in the past you could always count on Insanity/Mixx/Scratch Dog(?) were all closing around 4/5am last time I checked.

Hopefully this hasn't changed?

Cheers.

35 minutes ago, Rainville said:

I'm coming to BKK next month, but in the past you could always count on Insanity/Mixx/Scratch Dog(?) were all closing around 4/5am last time I checked.

Hopefully this hasn't changed?

Cheers.

It is 2am now from the spots I have gone to.

http://www.10best.com/destinations/thailand/bangkok/nightlife/dance-clubs/

Some of the best girls I ever met from Climax and Bangkok Beat.  Now gone.

But still, some decent places out there they just seem slightly higher priced then before.

For the more discerning, this Insanity needs to be given a very wide berth because you'll only be disappointed.

It's aimed at people for whom music and dancing is the last reason for going to a club in Bangkok - so basically sex tourists

Stick to Beam, Blaqlyte Studio and the occasional monthly theme nights you probably already go to.

If, however, you're into whores, bright lights, lasers and other gimmicks that help distract you from just how horrendous the music is. Insanity is for you.

4 hours ago, Thai Ron said:

For the more discerning, this Insanity needs to be given a very wide berth because you'll only be disappointed.

It's aimed at people for whom music and dancing is the last reason for going to a club in Bangkok - so basically sex tourists

Stick to Beam, Blaqlyte Studio and the occasional monthly theme nights you probably already go to.

If, however, you're into whores, bright lights, lasers and other gimmicks that help distract you from just how horrendous the music is. Insanity is for you.

I did post those photos just for info.  I have not gone for a few years for the reasons you gave.  I don't mind the working ladies met a few good ones before, but the music lights, and late night stuff I am past.

I did walk past that place "Alex" at the new Mercure hotel it looks like a very nice large bar.  Anybody have info. on it?

On 24/07/2017 at 2:16 PM, SupermarineS6B said:

Insanity ?   Full of Rabs ........ a definate no go........

The new Insanity - can you still walk in through that V8 Diner to get free entry into Insanity?

• 1 month later...
40 minutes ago, The manic said:

And some on this forum too. I dont know why or if they are really here. Fun failures and puritans.

Some people need to live and work in the City, and would like a clean environment and not have the inconvenience of noise and drunks at night

18 hours ago, sanemax said:

Some people need to live and work in the City, and would like a clean environment and not have the inconvenience of noise and drunks at night

Come on, let the people have their fun ! There's plenty of places where you won't encounter those 'drunks' at night, seriously.

Party pooper.

On 9/11/2017 at 10:10 PM, sanemax said:

Some people wish to get on the first BTS after an all night bender without having to navigate around normies, but we can't all get what we want, can we.

Seriously though, if you live close enough to a thoroughfare in central BKK that you can hear stuff from the street outside, as I do, then the most annoying thing at night and early in the morning is the noise of traffic, not the occasional drunk person. I'm sure it differs if you live right in the center of entertainment areas, however that would just be a stupid place to choose to live - there are plenty of non entertainment areas with residential accommodation that are central.

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 8:10 AM, sanemax said:

This POV is just insane.  Sure people want what they want, but if you're living in a city it's about giving up some things because for whatever reason you've chosen to live in an urban environment in close proximity to perhaps millions of other people, with different work schedules, different likes & dislikes, different personal values, different levels of tolerance for different things, different affluence levels, different ideas of what fun is,  etc., etc., etc.    I'd say you have to be in a REALLY REALLY localized part of a city to be bothered that much specifically by drunks staggering down the street more than the other noise & nuisances of city life.   In most parts of the developed world, cities have zoning ordnances to limit allowed commercial activity, and even where that's not true or not reliably enforced, chances are the "night noise", and, yes, the drunks (if there are really that many of them behaving as you suggest) were probably there before you were - so move somewhere else.

Bottom line:  you're being totally unrealistic and probably exaggerating.  Your expectations are simply out of line with your actual environment.   If you're really that bothered,  insulate your walls, get some earplugs, or just move (preferably, to the countryside).   If you think you're going to eradicate nightlife in the city because you want to keep early hours, your thinking is as impaired as any drunk's.

Used to be fun in Patpong back in 1977/78 when the military had a curfew.  I think it was midnight.  You had to be off the street until maybe 5 a.m.  At 11;30, you could get a pricey but very fast ride across town.  Driver would have to park and sleep in an alley somewhere.  But the prices on available girls at that hour went down to offset the taxi price.

8 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

This POV is just insane.  Sure people want what they want, but if you're living in a city it's about giving up some things because for whatever reason you've chosen to live in an urban environment in close proximity to perhaps millions of other people, with different work schedules, different likes & dislikes, different personal values, different levels of tolerance for different things, different affluence levels, different ideas of what fun is,  etc., etc., etc.    I'd say you have to be in a REALLY REALLY localized part of a city to be bothered that much specifically by drunks staggering down the street more than the other noise & nuisances of city life.   In most parts of the developed world, cities have zoning ordnances to limit allowed commercial activity, and even where that's not true or not reliably enforced, chances are the "night noise", and, yes, the drunks (if there are really that many of them behaving as you suggest) were probably there before you were - so move somewhere else.

Bottom line:  you're being totally unrealistic and probably exaggerating.  Your expectations are simply out of line with your actual environment.   If you're really that bothered,  insulate your walls, get some earplugs, or just move (preferably, to the countryside).   If you think you're going to eradicate nightlife in the city because you want to keep early hours, your thinking is as impaired as any drunk's.

I was not specifically talking about myself, or about you, for that matter .

I do live in a central place up in CM and there has been mass clamp down on alcohol sales in recent times.

Six years ago you could even get alcohol from 7/11's 24/7 and it was widely available form many places 24/7 . These days alcohol restrictions are enforced and its difficult, impossible to find alcohol after 1 AM .

This had bought vast changes to the nature of CM .

With the all night bars , you also had the all night street vendors , the all night tuk-tuks buzzing around .

In the morning you would quite often see  vomit, piss and empty beer cans and half eaten fast food containers on the streets and quite a few drunkards sleeping it off .

There would be a constant stream of drunks passing by , laughing, shouting, arguing , standing outside hotels taking an hour to say goodbye to their friends, telling them how much they love them .

And there was the fights and the ambulances driving around with their sirens going (still happens, but less frequently )

There were a small group of people who would sleep all day and spend all night drinking, disturbing everyone else would wanted to sleep . 

On 6/5/2017 at 3:47 PM, wildewillie89 said:

I am confused by all the 'tourism' talk in this thread. I don't think the people who are going to clubs for an extra couple of hours are the same tourists bringing in all the money to the country lol. Usually they are shacked up in a shitty hotel, eating whatever they can find, just to have enough money to buy the cheapest drink on the menu at the club. 

The people the government are focusing on are obviously the richer Chinese, Japanese etc. Who have their own private parties at various venues. Spend the day in shopping malls spending ridiculous amounts of money and eating whatever they like, and most importantly, visiting all of the tourist attractions. The places these party goers are going to are generally supported by the general Thai population anyway. 1 Chinese tourist probably spends the same as 100 'party' tourist. 

I am sure Thai locals know about the venues that remain open, and if they do not fancy them all that much, I am sure they will just drink in their apartment/house, like most Thais do anyway around the country. Also, with the aide of things like apps etc, you don't need a club to find 'fun' anymore.

I do not really agree with the law, but people at least need to put forward half useful ideas of why they should be open...Seems 'tourism' is the go to word for everything. 

It's high time alcohol was banned in Thailand. It is after all a Buddhist country. Doing so will massively improve the quality of the kind of tourists who come here. It can't happen soon enough.

3 minutes ago, Thainess said:

It's high time alcohol was banned in Thailand. It is after all a Buddhist country. Doing so will massively improve the quality of the kind of tourists who come here. It can't happen soon enough.

why don't you move to Saudi or somewhere, no alcohol there.

It will never happen thank god.  Couldn't imagine how boring the place would be.

On 9/13/2017 at 4:36 PM, sanemax said:

In the morning you would quite often see  vomit, piss and empty beer cans and half eaten fast food containers on the streets and quite a few drunkards sleeping it off .

you can find this in most capital cities .... I know for a fact that this is a regular scene in Sydney & Brisbane,  the US and UK have this also. It's not a Thailand only thing ....

1 hour ago, Thainess said:

I wouldn't be against the idea. My immediate Thai family do not drink, I also do not drink. The rest of the country that do drink a lot end up having car/motorcycles crashes every few hours. Road accidents seem quite a burden of the health care system before we even get into things like liver damage. I think that is where many of the 'nanny state' arguments come into play/why people move here. Sure, it is fine to drink yourself to death, just don't complain and be selfish enough to waste hospital beds if your organs fail or are stupid enough to drive/ride drunk.

I think people must be pretty uninteresting if alcohol is the only thing that makes their lives bearable.

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

you can find this in most capital cities .... I know for a fact that this is a regular scene in Sydney & Brisbane,  the US and UK have this also. It's not a Thailand only thing ....

Those Countries also have alcohol restrictions

No alcohol restrictions exasperates the issue

18 hours ago, wildewillie89 said:

I wouldn't be against the idea. My immediate Thai family do not drink, I also do not drink. The rest of the country that do drink a lot end up having car/motorcycles crashes every few hours. Road accidents seem quite a burden of the health care system before we even get into things like liver damage. I think that is where many of the 'nanny state' arguments come into play/why people move here. Sure, it is fine to drink yourself to death, just don't complain and be selfish enough to waste hospital beds if your organs fail or are stupid enough to drive/ride drunk.

I think people must be pretty uninteresting if alcohol is the only thing that makes their lives bearable.

Pious nonesense at best. Fascist lies and propaganda more likely.

Archived